Edit Stored Passwords in Android Browser

Davy49

Aug 13, 2011
Hi,
I need to edit a stored password on my Viewsonic gTablet, I made a mistake when I got the on screen popup asking if I wanted my browser to 'remember' my login information. I already have the root explorer application installed on my tablet. It seems as though I was able to view the site/password info. before, but I wasn't able to edit/delete it. Does anyone know how to do this ? Happy New Year !!
Thanks,
David :confused:

Browser->settings>advanced you should see it there

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

Dear pbrauer,
The browser I'm using on my tablet is version 2.2, I clicked on the more button, then the settings button, under the advanced settings button the only options I see available are 1.website settings (advanced settings for individual websites 2. reset to default (restore default settings). I didn't see any other options available to me there. Thanks for your reply, any other suggestions ?
David

Dear pbrauer,
Thanks once again for a reply..I know I'm NOT that dumb or anything, but using your suggestion " Select option 1. You can clear it there." didn't help me. The ONLY website that was listed there was google, and of course I didn't delete that one. Earlier today while I was using root explorer, I DID find the list of websites that I have both the username/password information saved, but I remember I couldn't edit anything there.
Thanks,
David

I guess I dont know what you are asking.

sent from my HTC Thunderbolt

download SQLite editor. stored passwords for the browser are plaintext and editable

See, now this is an actual answer. Nearly anyone familiar with the built-in android browser ( based on Safari ) should know that there are but two options available in the Privacy and security->Passwords section: these are enable/disable password storage and to clear all of the stored passwords. It has a bug right now that prevents it from properly noticing when a password changes. One needs a SQLite client to modify the stored passwords (and other browser attributes not exposed by the admin section).

note: it is possible to access and specify the database by using the full path to it if one doesn't have a rooted device, but one cannot navigate to it unless one has rooted their device. The file is here: /data/data/com.android.browser/databases/webdata.db and the path is all mode 710 allowing only root to access the directory listings but other users to access specific files within them. Good luck.

Last edited:
Back