RJ45 adaptor to connect to cat 5 copper lan drop

wmunn

Apr 25, 2011
Has anyone found a solution for the a500 that will allow the tablet to be connected to a copper cat5 lan drop?

This would be ideal at work when I need to test lan drops / activate drops etc....

I believe the key question here would be drivers for the android OS to support ethernet over the usb port. I know android is based on linux, however adding these needed drivers would likely require a recompile of the kernel. Much more in depth than most of us newbies would even consider attempting.

I purchased this USB-Ethernet device and I am using it with a Chrome OS net-book (CR-48). I purchased this device since Chrome OS does not have an Ethernet port and at home, I do not have wireless internet. I plugged in this device and instantly, I started having internet connection on my computer... I did not need to install the driver

That is a quote from one of the reviews, dunno if it would be the same case for this tablet...

but it is only $1.80, so what could it really hurt =P

by all means, give it a go and report back. I would be very happy to see it work.

My gut instinct is that it will not work without some sort of software update being done.

If the USB to Ethernet dongle requires a driver to be installed, you are probably out of luck. I guess since Android runs ontop of a Linux OS, there could be a shim driver (maybe written by some crafty xda developer) that might enable it to work. There are a lot of solutions out there that allow a Cat5 ethernet user to get access to a wireless network, but have not seen anything that goes the other direction (Googled around a bit looking for something that would solve your need, but could not find anything that fit.)

You might try posting your question to the Android XDA forum.... Here is a link: Android Devices @ xda-developers That is probably your best chance of finding someone that would know.

Good luck

Back