Register Hello & Welcome to AndroidTablets.net, is this your first visit?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Thanks Tree1Thanks

Thread: Acer A100 Wifi problems anyone?

Junior Member Achievements:
    7 days registered

Member #
    Los Angeles, California, United States, 110970792260960, Los Angeles, California
    Device
    Acer A100

Getting frustrated...

Quote Originally Posted by jgumphress View Post
    My WiFi works perfectly with a strong signal on a 2Wire AT&T router and at my work with a Netgear router. Are you using an app killer app? If so delete it and see if it helps. Either way, there is no need for an app killer apps in Android. Android does not process like Windows, Apple, or any thing else for that matter. But they do interfere with a lot of other apps.
    I also have an AT&T router and I can't connect. I was able to get online long enough to set it up and download Angry Birds. I shut it off, came back hours later and couldn't connect. All I've gotten is 'scanning' and 'connecting' messages. Today, it says 'out of range'. How can that be when my netbook works perfectly from the same router? Is it the device? I don't want to return it because I'm afraid they'll give me a refurbished tablet. Any suggestions?

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Circuit advertisement

100 Experience Points 31 days registered 7 days registered

Member #
    Device
    acer iconia a100
    I had an old belkin router and couldn't stay connected. We upgraded to a netgear n600 and it connects instantly and stays connected.
    Tonight we arrived home after being out all day. We parked probably a hundred yards from our second story apartment and underneath a metal carport. As soon as I stepped out of the car with my A100 I heard notifications because it had connected already!

Sent from my A100 using Android Tablet Forum

7 days registered 31 days registered 100 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    Acer Iconic A100
    I've been having a problem with the wifi disconnecting when the screen turns off, kind of annoying because I like getting my updates and such when I put it down.

I have a belkin N router, from where I usually am in the house, the router is less than ten feet away.

Member #
    Device
    android tablet 2.2 google
    Yes

I have had this huge problem too. You are right , it's not the router but... its also not the tablet. After 2 days of techy investigation I have found that some products for some reason - (whether it is the Operating system or the actual hardware- no clue, I solve problems, I don't design them) Android devices have a coms issue with the router most of the time. The situation will be that the tablet or phone sees the router and accepts the network password or gateway password. It then tries to obtain the IP address (static or non) and it drops out.
    Solution: The setup for the router needs to be changed to access a different channel. Basically the router is saying--- nope you're an egg not a pc. Totally normal and yes Ipad is open to all channels so it would not happen with an Ipad. Maybe some products with android have a fix in them somewhere but a lot don't. Here is what to do:

So if you are not a techy, call your broadband provider and explain that you need to access your wireless gateway configuration : change channel selection to manual (from automatic). It should also say interface enabled on that screen. It should be set for channel 8 or 11 for Europe. Your provider will know about tablets and android and they should know what channel you need if outside of Europe. Australia and New Zealand, just set you wireless for Europe as it makes no difference and Telecom usually advise this anyway (if you have never changed your config before, it will say channel 1 or 2).

This does not affect other computers or laptops. It will not affect your connection or broadband. It's just another unnecessary thing to do when setting up a network. After the change I had to on and off the tablet/ and the router before they saw each other through wifi.

a very complicated thing- android - but this does work. Mine has been holding a connection for 12 hours and I have shut down restarted... connects on it's own no more worries.
    (note that open wifi/ free access at McDonalds and hotels, would have all channels open so it's only likely to happen at home- this problem)

This may help other people
    Last edited by wifi_ness; 12-22-2011 at 04:40 AM.

wcg
    Member #
    Device
    HTC Flyer/Asus EEE/Acer A100

Acer Iconia Tab A100 wifi out of range message fixed with router channel setting

This suggestion, at least indirectly, saved Christmas. I had just installed a new Netgear n600 dual band router. My HTC Flyer tablet worked great. My oldest son received an Asus EEE 16 GB tablet with Honeycomb OS. It worked great. My younger son's Acer A 100 did not work. It detected the router, would connect and then would show that it was "out of range" and fall into the endless search/connect/disconnect loop. Two nights ago, I had successfully connected the Acer to my old 802.11g router (which had problems of its own) so I suspected that there was something in the router settings that the Acer did not like. After reading the message below, I went into the router settings (http://www.routerlogin.net on Netgear). The channel was set to Auto. On my Flyer, it showed the channel as 7 with the setting on Auto. I changed the setting to Channel 01, then went through the process of setting up the wifi on the A100 again. Eureka! It worked. Rather than showing the router as "out of range" (even though I'm sitting right next to it), it shows a full strength signal and works reliably.

So, before trying to work through the channel issue with your broadband provider as suggested below you may want to go into your router settings. Changing the channel, or setting a specific channel rather than letting the routing select it via "Auto" may be all you need to do to make the Acer Iconia Tab happy. Hope this helps save somebody else's Christmas, too.

Quote Originally Posted by wifi_ness View Post
    Yes

I have had this huge problem too. You are right , it's not the router but... its also not the tablet. After 2 days of techy investigation I have found that some products for some reason - (whether it is the Operating system or the actual hardware- no clue, I solve problems, I don't design them) Android devices have a coms issue with the router most of the time. The situation will be that the tablet or phone sees the router and accepts the network password or gateway password. It then tries to obtain the IP address (static or non) and it drops out.
    Solution: The setup for the router needs to be changed to access a different channel. Basically the router is saying--- nope you're an egg not a pc. Totally normal and yes Ipad is open to all channels so it would not happen with an Ipad. Maybe some products with android have a fix in them somewhere but a lot don't. Here is what to do:

So if you are not a techy, call your broadband provider and explain that you need to access your wireless gateway configuration : change channel selection to manual (from automatic). It should also say interface enabled on that screen. It should be set for channel 8 or 11 for Europe. Your provider will know about tablets and android and they should know what channel you need if outside of Europe. Australia and New Zealand, just set you wireless for Europe as it makes no difference and Telecom usually advise this anyway (if you have never changed your config before, it will say channel 1 or 2).

This does not affect other computers or laptops. It will not affect your connection or broadband. It's just another unnecessary thing to do when setting up a network. After the change I had to on and off the tablet/ and the router before they saw each other through wifi.

a very complicated thing- android - but this does work. Mine has been holding a connection for 12 hours and I have shut down restarted... connects on it's own no more worries.
    (note that open wifi/ free access at McDonalds and hotels, would have all channels open so it's only likely to happen at home- this problem)

This may help other people

Member #
    I have being having a similar problem with my A100, the thing is that my tablet will connect to my wireless at home but the tablet must be right next to the router, if I move away from the router the connection will drop and will start looping.
    I have try factory resets and the reset button but nothing works, I need to know if this is a common problem with this tablet because I am thinking to return my tablet for full refund.

Member #
    Device
    Acer a100 Iconia Tablet
    Ok, here's how I got my daughter's a100 iconia tablet to connect to our home network. Really, it was pretty simple and I haven't seen this anywhere online that I had searched. We have a Cisco WRT-160N router, and the Wireless MAC Filter is enabled. Without the MAC address of her tablet entered there, she couldn't connect. I just stumbled on this while looking through the settings for her tablet, and remembered seeing this setting when I was sifting through the wireless settings for our router. Plugged the information in the settings and all of a sudden (after 2 days of frustration), she's got full bars and the ability to go online with her tablet.......I was ready to throw the thing through a window! Hope this helps someone out there.

wcg
    Member #
    Device
    HTC Flyer/Asus EEE/Acer A100
    Have you tried changing the channel setting on your router? I was having the exact same problem before changing the channel setting as described in my previous post. Maddening does not even begin to describe the experience. I was gathering up all the packaging to be ready to return the tablet. Taking the router off of the "Auto" channel setting completely fixed the issue. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by moisesing View Post
    I have being having a similar problem with my A100, the thing is that my tablet will connect to my wireless at home but the tablet must be right next to the router, if I move away from the router the connection will drop and will start looping.
    I have try factory resets and the reset button but nothing works, I need to know if this is a common problem with this tablet because I am thinking to return my tablet for full refund.

Member #
    Device
    Asus TF101-A1
    I have a Belkin router too and could not stay connected. Read another post that worked. Go to your router settings and change the channel settings to =1 if you are in USA, then click update and you should connect and stay connected. Worked for me! This will work on all routers. Too simple to fix if you know what to do. Thanks to other people posting, it helps.

Member #
    Device
    Asus TF101-A1
    I have the TF100-a1 and could not stay connected. Read another post that worked. Go to your router settings and change the channel settings to =1 if you are in USA, then click update and you should connect and stay connected. Worked for me! This will work on all routers. Too simple to fix if you know what to do. Thanks to other people posting, it helps.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Ads: