Register Hello & Welcome to AndroidTablets.net, is this your first visit?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Junior Member Achievements:
    250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points 3 months registered 31 days registered 7 days registered

Member #

Question Any idea how to reset security code without google account?

Hey all,

I tried to enter a visual security pattern on my shiny new A500. Great, but I couldn't really decide which one to choose, so I changed them a couple of times. Suddenly, the tablet asked for the "existing pattern", although I never assumed to have confirmed any code.

Long story short: Now I need to reset the hardware, because I have NO idea, which code the tablet has stored.

The manual tells me about a factory reset, but (of course) the device asks me for the pattern to confirm it. The reset button on the side is not sufficient to restore factory defaults.

Is there any magic HW trick to reset the device?

Oh, and no, I didn't set up any Google account before this whole mess…

Thanks for any pointer!
    Last edited by murmel; 05-06-2011 at 02:57 PM.

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Circuit advertisement

Super Moderator
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 185
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran 5,000 Experience Points 1 year registered 500 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points

Member #
    Level
    Device
    Flytouch II/SuperPAD Droid Charge/Razr, Galaxy S4
    You could flash the rom which would erase EVERYTHING.

You can either use an updated version or the same version. I don't have that device so I don't know how to do it but if you post the link here after you find it, I'll learn.
    Last edited by uplade3; 05-06-2011 at 02:59 PM.
    Please refer to the Androidtablets.net rules and guidelines before posting
    Current Android devices:
    Samsung Galaxy S4, Motorola Droid Razr, Samsung Droid Charge, Samsung Galaxy tab 7

Please remember to press the "Thanks" button if you liked my post! | Questions?
    Be good or be good at it... That is all

250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points 3 months registered 31 days registered 7 days registered

Member #
    And how would I do this?

Member Achievements:
    500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points 3 months registered 31 days registered

Member #
    Device
    Droid 2
    Contact Acer and let them know what has happened. I will tell you, you may need to ask to speak with a level two tech person or higher, but they are nice.

If they tell you how to do it, then LET US KNOW!!!

I would like to now how to do a reset, with out being able to login in case this happens to me or one of my users!

Thanks!!!

Member #
    I just talked to the support on the chat.

I've been told to do a hardware reset by pushing a paper clip to the reset hole on the side for 10 seconds. But this (obviously) didn't work. I've tried this a couple of times before.

So, I guess I'll have to wait until Monday, until my local support is available again (I'm based in Germany). The US support wouldn't let me through to any higher level…

Member Achievements:
    500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points 3 months registered 31 days registered

Member #
    Device
    Acer Iconia A500
    I've just read this, see if it works:

"After a certain number of wrong entries, you will be presented with an option to reset your pattern. Tap Forgot pattern? and enter your google account username and password. Note: You must have an active Google account on the tablet. If not working do a clean boot."

Source:
    www.hard-reset.com - ACER Iconia Tab A500 hard reset - PDA Smartphone PNA hard reset soft reset

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by pentool View Post
    I've just read this, see if it works:

"After a certain number of wrong entries, you will be presented with an option to reset your pattern. Tap Forgot pattern? and enter your google account username and password. Note: You must have an active Google account on the tablet. If not working do a clean boot."
    Yeah, found this too. But that's why the topic of this thread says "...without google account" :-(

In the meantime, I've found:

xda-developers - View Single Post - [DEV] Recovery + Config

where it says, there is some kind of safe mode:
    Power Down. During the Acer boot up screen, hold down the vol- button all the way through the Android splash screen. Once it vibrates, "Safe Mode" will appear in the bottom left corner. You can then release the vol- button. I also was able to perform what appeared to be a factory reset from the hard buttons. It said "Erasing userdata....erasing cache...then it rebooted. It erased all of my apps, but it didn't restore the apps I deleted earlier from the system/app folder and the Superuser icon was still there. I'm trying to duplicate that combo now. Also, I don't know what safe mode is for.
    But this doesn't work for me. I only seem to be able to trigger some kind of "recovery image" from the boot process (press vol+ during startup), but since I don't have any valid update to flash, it doesn't work either. And probably this would not reset the internal settings anyhow.

Now waiting for some answers from Acer, although in the abovementioned thread, some guys got the ansers that they would need to send it in :-(

Member Achievements:

Member #
    Device
    Acer Iconia A500
    Did you reach the point where the "option to reset your tablet" came up? Regardless whether you had setup your tablet or not with a G account, maybe you can enter you existing one anyway, and it will reset it. I don't know... since never tried it, I'm just guessing.

However, I think Acer should address such issues in their knowledge base. This is an important one.

Member #
    No, it just keeps asking me for the security pattern.

Even worse, the information
    ...if not working, do a clean boot.
    is just plain wrong.

Because
    - to do a clean boot from software, you'll need your security pattern
    - there's no (documented) way to do a clean boot from hardware only
    Last edited by murmel; 05-07-2011 at 03:19 AM.

Member Achievements:

Member #
    Device
    Acer Iconia A500
    Well, I'd think if you have tried it at least 100 times and you didn't get anything, that article I found is probably incorrect. It would be unreasonable to have the user keep trying for hundreds of times until something pops up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads: