Register Hello & Welcome to AndroidTablets.net, is this your first visit?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gps??

Senior Member Achievements:
    1 year registered 500 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    Acer A500
    Quote Originally Posted by robdroid View Post
    Unless your GPS never acquires and locks on (even outdoors) and your Wifi is completely unusable- you may have to go through many, many A500's to see any noticeable difference in the GPS and Wifi performance over your current A500 (you could even get one that's worse).
    Slow/weak GPS and weak Wifi just seem to be the norm in the current crop of A500's.

In real world use, i.e. using the A500's GPS in my car this morning- it saw 10-12 sats and was using 6-7 at any given time for 16ft accuracy- that's fine for me.

Also as a real world test for the Wifi- I got the same exact parking spot this morning I had last week when I brought my Galaxy Tab to work with me. I was able to see the same hot spots with the A500, and the connection was actually more stable on the A500 as it was on the GTab.... again, real world.

For many posters (not referring to you AQ_OC) it seems they only test their GPS from their desks inside the house... and get disappointing results from indoors. Well, in the real world- how much practical use is there for a GPS inside your house?. I hazard to guess many of us just really need to use the GPS feature of the A500 outdoors. Well, luckily the A500's GPS works very well outdoors!

FWIW- I ran Google Sky maps last night and it was spot-on with the location of the moon, stars and planets (wonderful app!). I ran Copilot this morning from home to work- and it was extremely accurate with roads, etc. Nice thing- GPS runtime from home to work was 50min, battery was at 88% when I got into the parking lot at work. The A500 has a great battery too!
    Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant to say I might return it, wait for Acer and Google to get the software straight, and then rebuy it, assuming that some of these problems are somehow software related. That might not be the case, I realize, but with a limited time return window, you have to play these games.

I'll continue to test things. However, I don't want to buy Navigon until I'm certain the device will work well and that I'm going to keep it. Also, if I had 6 or 7 satellites in use I'm sure it would have been fine. Frankly, I think it did a fine job. But without 3G you need the software to really make navigation robust.

I will try Google Sky and Copilot (assuming I don't have to buy it). More data is better than no data.

Thanks for the interaction.

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Circuit advertisement

5,000 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    Nook Color
    Quote Originally Posted by AQ_OC View Post
    I will try Google Sky and Copilot (assuming I don't have to buy it). More data is better than no data.
    Thanks for the interaction.
    Google Sky is free, Copilot is free- you have to buy the maps, but it's only $5 for the whole USA.
    Last edited by robdroid; 05-16-2011 at 02:17 PM.
    Rooted Nook Color- Ultimate Droid @ 925Mhz (*****) Keeper!
    Acer A500 rooted! (*****) Keeper!
    Craig CMP 738a (for $70 it's good enough!)
    Coby MID 7024 returned- defective audio circuit
    Galaxy Tab 7"- returned- too expensive for 7" tablet
    Huawei Ideos S7- returned- bricked after 3 days use

1 year registered 500 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    Acer A500
    Google Sky is free, Copilot is free- you have to buy the maps, but it's only $5 for the whole USA.
    Wow...that's sounds like a really good deal. Does it support HC in terms of working fine on a tablet? I have seen some apps which seem to suffer on HC rather than froyo.

5,000 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    Nook Color
    Wow...that's sounds like a really good deal. Does it support HC in terms of working fine on a tablet? I have seen some apps which seem to suffer on HC rather than froyo.
    I'll assume you're referring to Copilot...
    Had a few FC's while setting up in the menu, turned off the annoying "welcome to copilot live professional" super loud voice greeting, and interactive feedback sounds... and haven't had a FC since. It does use the full HC screen real estate- you choose via the menu for portrait or landscape mode- or let the tablet decide. One nice feature is- tap the POI's and it gives you basic info and the phone number to the POI. I DL's the maps for Eastern US to save some room on the SD card, but could of had all the US for $5.

If you want to try a nice free mapping (no nav feature AFAIK) app try- "MapDroyd"- not as nice as Copilot- but it's free and works well!

Member #
    Device
    Nook Color
    Maybe the GPS chip really does need burn-in.
    I'm getting solid 8 and sometimes up to 10 sats indoors now with 16.4' accuracy!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Member #
    Device
    Acer A500
    I'll assume you're referring to Copilot...
    Had a few FC's while setting up in the menu, turned off the annoying "welcome to copilot live professional" super loud voice greeting, and interactive feedback sounds... and haven't had a FC since. It does use the full HC screen real estate- you choose via the menu for portrait or landscape mode- or let the tablet decide. One nice feature is- tap the POI's and it gives you basic info and the phone number to the POI. I DL's the maps for Eastern US to save some room on the SD card, but could of had all the US for $5.

If you want to try a nice free mapping (no nav feature AFAIK) app try- "MapDroyd"- not as nice as Copilot- but it's free and works well!
    I was willing to pay the $5 to test out Copilot with maps....but a lot of the reviews claim that the software is hard to install and use -- apparently due to copy protection schemes. What is your experience? Also, it sounds as if you were able to download only some of the maps for free...is that correct?

Member #
    Device
    Nook Color
    I was willing to pay the $5 to test out Copilot with maps....but a lot of the reviews claim that the software is hard to install and use -- apparently due to copy protection schemes. What is your experience? Also, it sounds as if you were able to download only some of the maps for free...is that correct?
    Install is a snap, no problems at all.
    As to the maps- no free maps. You download and install the app, but does not include any maps. You pay the $5 and that gives you access to all of the US- all 50 states.
    You then have the choice to download the whole set (all 50 states) or in sections; like Eastern States to save space on your SD card, or even individual states to save even more space on your SD card. At any time you can go into the menu and download the areas you've paid for (in my case the whole USA) but haven't installed yet. So, you really can't lose- you have the ability to save SD card resources and control which maps you'd like to install based on your usage needs- but maintain the ability to install additional maps at any time (that wifi is available) you need the additional coverage.
    It's a very well thought out scheme, and the program works great on the 10" screen of the A500.

Member #
    Device
    Acer A500
    Install is a snap, no problems at all.
    As to the maps- no free maps. You download and install the app, but does not include any maps. You pay the $5 and that gives you access to all of the US- all 50 states.
    You then have the choice to download the whole set (all 50 states) or in sections; like Eastern States to save space on your SD card, or even individual states to save even more space on your SD card. At any time you can go into the menu and download the areas you've paid for (in my case the whole USA) but haven't installed yet. So, you really can't lose- you have the ability to save SD card resources and control which maps you'd like to install based on your usage needs- but maintain the ability to install additional maps at any time (that wifi is available) you need the additional coverage.
    It's a very well thought out scheme, and the program works great on the 10" screen of the A500.
    Thanks for this reply. I'm sorry for asking so many questions, but I'm borderline on returning the A500 right now. I do want to test the GPS feature though. Given that, do you think that if I return the A500 and get something else later on that I will be able to get Copilot to install on that new device without paying again? The reason I ask is that I have Navigon on my Droid Incredible, but it won't install in the Acer. Some paid apps would, but not all. Also, some free apps that were installed on my phone disappear from the phone once I installed them on the Acer. I don't know how app sellers track which Android devices their software is on, so I'm still unsure on how best to proceed.

GPS on the larger screen is one of the main reasons I bought the Acer, as I already have an iPad 2.

Thanks again.

Member #
    Device
    Nook Color
    Thanks for this reply. I'm sorry for asking so many questions, but I'm borderline on returning the A500 right now. I do want to test the GPS feature though. Given that, do you think that if I return the A500 and get something else later on that I will be able to get Copilot to install on that new device without paying again?
    Don't know the answer to that one, assume it's a single device license and you'll be out the $5 if you return the A500.

If you just want to test the GPS on the road- try the free MapDroid app (https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result). It's not fancy like copilot with POI's and navigation guidance, etc... but it works and it cost nothing for the app and the maps are free. I ran it last night on the way home- and it was perfectly accurate and you can download just your sate map if you'd like too. Give it a shot!

Member #
    Device
    Acer A500
    Don't know the answer to that one, assume it's a single device license and you'll be out the $5 if you return the A500.

If you just want to test the GPS on the road- try the free MapDroid app (https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result). It's not fancy like copilot with POI's and navigation guidance, etc... but it works and it cost nothing for the app and the maps are free. I ran it last night on the way home- and it was perfectly accurate and you can download just your sate map if you'd like too. Give it a shot!

Great. Getting it now. Thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Ads: