Register Hello & Welcome to AndroidTablets.net, is this your first visit?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree5Thanks

Thread: Stuck on "Obtaining IP Address"

Member Achievements:
    500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points 3 months registered Tagger Second Class

Member #
    Device
    Acer Iconia A500 Tablet

Stuck on "Obtaining IP Address"

I wait impatiently for the 23rd hoping for Android 3.1 update and this morning my A500 refuses to obtain an IP address. Keeps saying "Obtaining IP Address". I have rebooted a few times, turned wifi on and off but no luck. Can't even check to see if the update is out there.

Nothing else has changed with my router. All my other wireless devices are connecting like normal.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks guys.

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Achievements:
    250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points 3 months registered 31 days registered 7 days registered

Member #
    Device
    Acer a500
    had the same issue yesterday. wifi worked fine in the morning, butwhen I got home, it wouldn't connect. rebooted twice, but it wasn't until I reset my router that it synced up to it. off, since our four other compress, two ipods, and two phones were all working justfine on the router. odd.

Member Achievements:
    500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points 3 months registered Tagger Second Class

Member #
    Device
    Acer Iconia A500 Tablet
    I'm at work now and it has no problem connecting to wi-fi here. Nothing has changed on our router had home, and all of our other devices connect fine....I guess I will reboot the router when I get home today....

Thanks for the help.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran 50,000 Experience Points 25,000 Experience Points 10,000 Experience Points 1 year registered

Member #
    Level
    Wait, you haven't even rebooted the router yet, and you posted here?

Why wouldn't that be the SECOND thing you did after rebooting the tablet?

Member Achievements:

Member #
    Device
    Acer Iconia A500 Tablet

why reboit router?

All my other devices connect fine. How would rebooting the router fix the Acer?

Forgive me, I was not aware there was a minimum experience level to post here. is there an entrance test?

QUOTE=Icebike;104663]Wait, you haven't even rebooted the router yet, and you posted here?

Why wouldn't that be the SECOND thing you did after rebooting the tablet?[/QUOTE]

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran 50,000 Experience Points 25,000 Experience Points 10,000 Experience Points 1 year registered

Member #
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Dart View Post
    All my other devices connect fine. How would rebooting the router fix the Acer?
    The acer is not broken, and doesn't need fixing, as you have proven by connecting at work.

Your router has ceased to respond to the Acer's request for an IP, so your router is broken. Its not uncommon. You knew enough to reboot the acer. I'm just astounded you didn't follow thru to the next logical step.

Routers are just software, and all software has bugs.

Those units that have an IP continue to use the IP they were last given, but the IP the acer last was issued may have been given to some other device.

When two pieces of hardware that interact with each other suddenly start failing, basic logic suggests that the problem is just as likely to be on either end. Concentrating all your efforts and all the blame on one device is counterproductive.
    Femiboanerges thanked this.

Member Achievements:
    3 months registered 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points 31 days registered 7 days registered

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Icebike View Post
    The acer is not broken, and doesn't need fixing, as you have proven by connecting at work.

Your router has ceased to respond to the Acer's request for an IP, so your router is broken. Its not uncommon. You knew enough to reboot the acer. I'm just astounded you didn't follow thru to the next logical step.

Those units that have an IP continue to use the IP they were last given, but the IP the acer last was issued may have been given to some other device.

When two pieces of hardware that interact with each other suddenly start failing, basic logic suggests that the problem is just as likely to be on either end. Concentrating all your efforts and all the blame on one device is counterproductive.
    I have to agree with this, I can't tell you how many times I hear about this happening to computers a day. LoL

Member Achievements:

Member #
    Device
    Acer Iconia A500 Tablet
    Thanks for explaining why rebooting the router would be the next logical step. Now that I have the information, yes, it does seem logical. I am not an electronics geek, so had no clue about that. Sorry i astounded you. But thanks for explaining it, I will reboot when I get home and hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Icebike View Post

Junior Member Achievements:
    100 Experience Points 31 days registered 7 days registered

Member #
    Device
    Acer A500
    I have the same issue. There are times when it connects straight away and others when it will not connect all, each time I'll be sitting within 20' of the antennas. It's strange because periodically my laptop will not connect either but my POS iphone 3G will and other times it's reversed. I do think it has something to do with the network but unfortunately I cannot reset the routers to test that theory.

Member Achievements:
    500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points 3 months registered 31 days registered

Member #
    Device
    Iconia A500 32gb
    We run an ASUS and a Toshiba laptop along with other smart phones and WiFi printers and its always the 2 laptops fighting fror the same IP address. I should issue static addresses but it's easy fixed by a router reboot
    32gb Iconia A500 tethered on the road by Samsung Galaxy S

- I Love Android -

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads: