Register Hello & Welcome to AndroidTablets.net, is this your first visit?

Thanks Tree1Thanks
  • 1 Post By Mrhelper

Thread: [Solved] Unable To Access Internal Memory

Junior Member Achievements:
    3 months registered 250 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 31 days registered 100 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    Acer Iconia A500

[Solved] Unable To Access Internal Memory

A month or so ago, my app updates began to fail with the "Insufficient storage space" error. I've tried multiple times to free space and last night, in a fit of desperation, threw most of my apps overboard to see if I could clear enough space. I'm still getting the error whenever I try to update or load a new app. Apps finish downloading and then the error gets thrown when they attempt to install.

My storage screen shows the following:

Total space: 12.71GB
    Apps: 885MB
    Pictures, videos: 11.79MB
    Audio: 40KB
    Downloads: 31.5MB
    Misc.: 108MB
    Available: 237MB

I haven't found any info about a virus with symptoms like this. Does anybody have an idea what's locking up my RAM?
    Last edited by leeshor; 10-03-2012 at 08:09 AM.

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Circuit advertisement

Super Moderator
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 481
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation First Class 10,000 Experience Points Recommendation Second Class 1 year registered 5,000 Experience Points

Member #
    Level
    Device
    Transformer Prime & TF700
    You may want to open your file manager and do some poking around. You may have some files not being properly identified as being a part of what's on your internal storage. You may find some items there that are leftover from the uninstalled apps, among other things. If you can get it installed there is an app called DiskUsage. That will display everything on the disk and it's easy to pick out large files.
    Locked out of your Tablet? - Printing from an Android tablet (or phone) - Connecting to the Internet with no WiFi - Move/copy/cut/paste files to and from your tablet - WiFi connection issues - Getting Flash Player
    TF201 & TF700 (stock) with dock, .

3 months registered 250 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 31 days registered 100 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    Acer Iconia A500
    I'm thinking that, rather than go wandering down a long diagnostic path, I may just trash it back to the factory settings, root it, and start over. I have so many apps to restore, that may be my most time-effective option. Most of the files I care about are on the SD card anyway.

Super Moderator
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 481
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation First Class 10,000 Experience Points Recommendation Second Class 1 year registered 5,000 Experience Points

Member #
    Level
    Device
    Transformer Prime & TF700
    That sounds like a good plan, if not a little painful.
    Locked out of your Tablet? - Printing from an Android tablet (or phone) - Connecting to the Internet with no WiFi - Move/copy/cut/paste files to and from your tablet - WiFi connection issues - Getting Flash Player
    TF201 & TF700 (stock) with dock, .

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 3 months registered 250 Experience Points

Member #
    Level
    Device
    Acer A500
    Quote Originally Posted by Don9992 View Post
    I'm thinking that, rather than go wandering down a long diagnostic path, I may just trash it back to the factory settings, root it, and start over. I have so many apps to restore, that may be my most time-effective option. Most of the files I care about are on the SD card anyway.
    If the tablet is rooted already, check in /data/gps. The Iconia GPS driver sprung a leak when the ICS update came out. If you frequently use the GPS receiver or just leave it on, it leaks thousands of files over time, and that eventually consumes all free internal storage space. All you need to do in that case is delete the files from /data/gps. If the tablet is not rooted, a Factory data reset will clear out the problem files, but you have to turn off the internal GPS receiver to prevent the buildup.
    detz thanked this.

Member #
    Device
    Acer Iconia A500
    Good information, Mrhelper. I do use the GPS function frequently and your description fits the symptoms I was seeing. I did the reset and that did, indeed, fix the issue. I also rooted it this time so I'll keep a note of what to delete in the future.

Thanks!

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 3 months registered 250 Experience Points

Member #
    Level
    Device
    Acer A500 ICS
    Mrhelper....thanks for the info. I recently ran into this problem of "low storage space" notification. I eventually did a manual reset which solved the problem, but I didnt know what caused the problem in the first place or that if I didnt... "go into settings > location services > and uncheck the box... GPS satellites " that I would eventually have the same problem again. the question I have for you now is... is there a app that I can d/load from market that will let me open that file "data/gps" to delete the file or the simplist way of accomplishing this. Any help would be greatly appreciated by me and I'm sure other members.

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Achievements:

Member #
    Level
    Device
    Acer A500
    Quote Originally Posted by detz View Post
    Mrhelper....thanks for the info. I recently ran into this problem of "low storage space" notification. I eventually did a manual reset which solved the problem, but I didnt know what caused the problem in the first place or that if I didnt... "go into settings > location services > and uncheck the box... GPS satellites " that I would eventually have the same problem again. the question I have for you now is... is there a app that I can d/load from market that will let me open that file "data/gps" to delete the file or the simplist way of accomplishing this. Any help would be greatly appreciated by me and I'm sure other members.
    The /data/gps directory (folder) and files within are all owned by root, and the permission settings allow access only via the root account. That means you would have to first "root" the tablet to delete the files using a file manager app or a script.

Ads: