Register Hello & Welcome to AndroidTablets.net, is this your first visit?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Junior Member Achievements:
    100 Experience Points 31 days registered 7 days registered

Member #

Looking for tablet to read pdf files

Hello,

I am looking for a tablet to read pdf files. Ideally I would download any file on my computer and them transfer it to the tablet and be able to open it without any hassle. I don't need any wifi, video playing, mp3, camera, all that flashy stuff. The only thing I need is pdf file reading. As for the size and resolution, maybe something big enough to see one full page at once and be able to read it. As for battery life, at least 4 hours. An eReader is not a option since it can't read any pdf file and most of them don't have color. What is the cheapest tablet that can do this?

Thank you very much

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Circuit advertisement

Administrator Achievements:
    50,000 Experience Points 25,000 Experience Points 10,000 Experience Points 5,000 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    HTC Thunderbolt, ViewSonic GTab, Huawei S7, Gentouch 78
    It is the application that runs on the tablet, not the tablet itself. If that really is all you are looking for, find a tablet that runs Android 2.1 or better and you can install Adobe Reader on it which would give full support for PDFs, and the app is free from the market.
    Peter B. - email: tardis@androidtablets.net | Twitter: pbbrauer | Google+: pbbrauer | gTalk: pbbrauer@gmail.com
    Current Devices, ROMs:
    (Active) VZW Samsung Galaxy Nexus- Rooted, Android ICS 4.0.2 | ASUS Transformer Prime TF201- Rooted, Unlocked, Virtuous Prime-9.4.2.15 v1 ROM
    (Retired) Viewsonic gTab - Rooted, Flashback 10.3 (Honeycomb) | Huawei S7 - Rooted, Froyo Fusion R2 | (Other) Nook Color (2 of these) | Gentouch 7/8 - Rooted, Lincrackers Pirate 3

Remember to "Thank" people that help you out! |Click here for general Questions?

Administrator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran 50,000 Experience Points 25,000 Experience Points Recommendation First Class Recommendation Second Class

Member #
    Level
    Device
    NOOK Tablet Stock NOOKcolor Rooted & ManualNooted Google Nexus 7 (2013) 32GB
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzybazz View Post
    As for the size and resolution, maybe something big enough to see one full page at once and be able to read it.
    Hello jazzy, welcome to the forum. You've already got some good advice. I would just add that you're going to have to decide for yourself what size screen you can comfortably view a full page on. Go to a store, if possible, and play around with a couple to find out what size you need. Good luck!
    If it's important to you, you'll find a
    way. If not, you'll find an excuse.
    If you're too busy for friends,
    You're too busy.
    Attention lurkers! Join the forum,
    and enter Spider into the referrer
    field of the application.The $0.00
    USD fee will be waived.
    People will forget what you said.
    People will forget what you did.
    But, people will never forget
    how you made them feel.

Member Achievements:
    Tagger First Class 1 year registered 1,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    A81 E/HSG X5A/Epad

Member Achievements:
    50,000 Experience Points Tagger First Class 25,000 Experience Points 1 year registered 10,000 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    Android 4.1 pipo m2 3g
    YouTube - Broadcast Yourself
    When I browse youtube I found this tablet PC video demo likes nice
    For your reference

Member #
    Hello, Thank you for your answers.

I went to a shop today to get a feel for tablet screen sizes and I think I would prefer a 10" screen size for better pdf reading. The other important thing is battery. All other stuff such as gps, hdmi, 3g, flash, video playback is useless to me. So I am looking for a 10" tablet that last at least 4 hours.

I have done some research and found out about the Zt-180 and the flytouch 3. Any comments about these two tablets and how do they compare?

Member #
    I have done some more research, it seems like good pdf reading has more to do with aspect ratio than screen size. 4:3 aspect ratio looks like the way to go for reading. Any thoughts?

3 months registered 250 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 31 days registered 100 Experience Points

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzybazz View Post
    I have done some more research, it seems like good pdf reading has more to do with aspect ratio than screen size. 4:3 aspect ratio looks like the way to go for reading. Any thoughts?
    I have the exact same requirements, WiFi would be required in my case as I would also like web access and download other Android apps. PDF reading being the primary purpose though. I just can't see reading a PDF on anything less than a 10" tablet though. 7-8" tablets would likely blind me. I would ideally like to see at least 50-70% of a page of text.

I am not sure how aspect ratio would really matter though. Ideally reading a PDF in landscape mode on a wide aspect ratio would probably be better no?

Member Achievements:
    250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points 31 days registered 7 days registered

Member #
    Device
    Gome Flytouch 2 (SuperPad)
    Quote Originally Posted by canadian1969 View Post
    I am not sure how aspect ratio would really matter though. Ideally reading a PDF in landscape mode on a wide aspect ratio would probably be better no?
    It all depends on the content of the PDF itself.

If you are looking at a e-brochure for example, that has a lot of pictures shot in a 16:9 ratio on the page, then reading in landscape is going to be preferred over portrait. However, most text/copy is still set up in the traditional 8x11 printed page format. Thus, portrait is going to be the preferred reading orientation most likely.

The reason 4:3 is better is because it is a square vs. 16:9 that is a rectangle.

Reading documents on a 4:3 screen (in any orientation) looks more natural because we are inherently used to printed material that is square by default. This is because no one side is longer than the other

Senior Member Achievements:
    1 year registered 1,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points

Member #
    May I suggest look at an app called ezPDFreader? I've got it on my Honeycomb tablet and froyo phone and it works well on both.
    For synching between the computer and tablets it has been the most accurate for me and has the ability to edit the files as well as read.

Support Our Troops!!!

Sent from this Galaxy via Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads: