Register Hello & Welcome to AndroidTablets.net, is this your first visit?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Junior Member Achievements:
    1,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 1 year registered 100 Experience Points

Member #

Question External keyboard for Android tablet?

Greetings everyone.

I just ordered mine from androidostablet.com. I hope to use my tablet for reading pdfs and composing e-mails/text files. I am not a big fan of on-screen/touchscreen keyboards and would benefit greatly by having an external keyboard. My Google searches for external keyboards for Android tablets have proved futile so far, and I am hoping someone here has useful information.

Cheers.

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Circuit advertisement

Super Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran 50,000 Experience Points 25,000 Experience Points 10,000 Experience Points 5,000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    User with most referrers

Member #
    Level
    this may help you USB Host mode on Motorola Droid if you get it working with a tablet please let me know

Member Achievements:
    1,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 1 year registered 100 Experience Points

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by tanna View Post
    Greetings everyone.

I just ordered mine from androidostablet.com. I hope to use my tablet for reading pdfs and composing e-mails/text files. I am not a big fan of on-screen/touchscreen keyboards and would benefit greatly by having an external keyboard. My Google searches for external keyboards for Android tablets have proved futile so far, and I am hoping someone here has useful information.

Cheers.
    You should be able to plug in a regular USB keyboard to the tablet (using the included MicroUSB-to-USB adapter). You can even plug in a USB mouse if you are so inclined to do so.

250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points 3 months registered 31 days registered 7 days registered

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by tanna View Post
    Greetings everyone.

Cheers.

How is it? I am thinking of getting one. The most important factor (aside from general usability) is the being able to attach an external keyboard. Did you have any trouble with that or anything else with this table?

Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,003
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran 25,000 Experience Points Recommendation First Class 10,000 Experience Points 5,000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Community Award

Member #
    Level
    Device
    Haipad M701-R, Augen Gentouch 78 (returned it)
    I got one for $25 that works great, and already has the mini-USB plug on it. Integrated into a faux leather case.

Case Turns My Android Tablet Into A Netbook
    A message from your friendly Net Neighborhood geeky gadget girl!

Currently Running: Gingerbread 2.3.1!
    Tablets I've owned: Haipad M701-R / Augen Gentouch 78
    Accessories: Case w/ keyboard, remote control, HDMI cable

Join the Haipad M701/M701-R Group at Androidtablets.net

Administrator Achievements:
    50,000 Experience Points 25,000 Experience Points 10,000 Experience Points 5,000 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    HTC Thunderbolt, ViewSonic GTab, Huawei S7, Gentouch 78
    This also depends a lot on the ROM, the Keyboard and the tablet. On the Gtab, some of these work out of box and some don't. I have also had some interesting experiences where only about 90% of the keys work as expected, otherwise you get some interesting behaviors (the E key opening Email, things like that). Also on the VEGAn ROM, you can use both a keyboard and external mouse, whereas with TnT lite only a keyboard. You may need to try a couple of different configurations, but you SHOULD be able to find an acceptable solution.
    Peter B. - email: tardis@androidtablets.net | Twitter: pbbrauer | Google+: pbbrauer | gTalk: pbbrauer@gmail.com
    Current Devices, ROMs:
    (Active) VZW Samsung Galaxy Nexus- Rooted, Android ICS 4.0.2 | ASUS Transformer Prime TF201- Rooted, Unlocked, Virtuous Prime-9.4.2.15 v1 ROM
    (Retired) Viewsonic gTab - Rooted, Flashback 10.3 (Honeycomb) | Huawei S7 - Rooted, Froyo Fusion R2 | (Other) Nook Color (2 of these) | Gentouch 7/8 - Rooted, Lincrackers Pirate 3

Remember to "Thank" people that help you out! |Click here for general Questions?

250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points 3 months registered 31 days registered 7 days registered

Member #
    Device
    gTablet
    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    This also depends a lot on the ROM, the Keyboard and the tablet. On the Gtab, some of these work out of box and some don't. I have also had some interesting experiences where only about 90% of the keys work as expected, otherwise you get some interesting behaviors (the E key opening Email, things like that). Also on the VEGAn ROM, you can use both a keyboard and external mouse, whereas with TnT lite only a keyboard. You may need to try a couple of different configurations, but you SHOULD be able to find an acceptable solution.
    Have you by chance had any luck getting past the hotkeys with TNT? I have a wireless little keyboard/touchpad device I would love to use, but not sure I want to abandon TNT just for that...

Thanks,
    Chris

500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 1 year registered 100 Experience Points 3 months registered

Member #
    I have an APad that I got from PickEgg and I have tried several different USB keyboards and they all seem to work. Some of the keys don't always do what you expect and some actually put the pad into a funky state but, in general, they work. I seem to have better luck with keyboards that were designed to work with Mac computers.

Member #
    Device
    Multiple devices ;) Nu tablet at the moment though.
    Normally, plugging in a USB-keyboard should work, you shouldn't look for specific external Android keyboards. I for one haven't experienced any problems with that. For composing e-mails and text files it really is a necessity. Works a lot faster.

100 Experience Points 31 days registered 7 days registered

Member #
    Device
    acer a5000
    Quote Originally Posted by forza_ View Post
    Normally, plugging in a USB-keyboard should work, you shouldn't look for specific external Android keyboards. I for one haven't experienced any problems with that. For composing e-mails and text files it really is a necessity. Works a lot faster.
    How did you get the usb-keyboard to work? I just bought the acer a5000 tablet and already have a microsoft usb wireless keyboard/mouse used for my pc and tried to use this with the tablet and it isn't working. Two of the function keys work but nothing else will. What may fix this if any usb keyboard should work?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ads: