Register Hello & Welcome to AndroidTablets.net, is this your first visit?

Junior Member Achievements:
    7 days registered

Member #

Best tablet for reading PDF's?

I've been browsing the forums, but haven't been able to find a thread that deals with PDF's specifically. If there is one, please feel free to post the link as a reply.

In general, I'm looking for a tablet with the following functionality:

Able to read PDF and Word documents, highlight text and add notes/memos

E-books

Basic web browsing

Basic apps: Facebook, news, etc.

Play DivX format

The PDF and Word document reading is most import ant as I'm a professor and researcher so I download articles in PDF form from my university library but don't want to have to print them all out. The articles are mostly text with some tables and graphs. I also review student papers, so the ability to do some marking on the device would save a lot of paper.

We just got my dad the Galaxy 10.1 Tab. It does everything I need so far (haven't tried the word documents yet), plus a ton of extras that I don't need and the price is a bit high ($500). I have a smaetphone that I'm happy with for email, and I don't like typing on the galaxy tab, I prefer my phone's slide out keyboard

I was considering the Kindle Fire but have been reading that the screen is too small to read PDF's comfortably and I didn't see whether it supports highlighting and notes/memos. Also not sure about the video playback on the fire.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If there are any older threads that discuss these issues, please direct me there, too!

Thanks in advance

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Circuit advertisement

Supporting Vendor
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First Class 150,000 Experience Points 100,000 Experience Points Recommendation Second Class 50,000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender

Member #
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie9 View Post
    I've been browsing the forums, but haven't been able to find a thread that deals with PDF's specifically. If there is one, please feel free to post the link as a reply.

E-books

Basic web browsing

Play DivX format

The PDF and Word document reading is most import ant as I'm a professor and researcher so I download articles in PDF form from my university library but don't want to have to print them all out. The articles are mostly text with some tables and graphs. I also review student papers, so the ability to do some marking on the device would save a lot of paper.

We just got my dad the Galaxy 10.1 Tab. It does everything I need so far (haven't tried the word documents yet), plus a ton of extras that I don't need and the price is a bit high ($500). I have a smaetphone that I'm happy with for email, and I don't like typing on the galaxy tab, I prefer my phone's slide out keyboard

I was considering the Kindle Fire but have been reading that the screen is too small to read PDF's comfortably and I didn't see whether it supports highlighting and notes/memos. Also not sure about the video playback on the fire.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If there are any older threads that discuss these issues, please direct me there, too!

Thanks in advance

Hi Aggie, how do you think about this one: 10.2 Inch Capacitive Screen Android 2.3OS Tablet PC with Amlogic Cortex A9 Processor - China Electronics Wholesale - Consumer Electronics Gadgets Dropship From China
    and you can find more 10" tablet PC in our site, hope you can find what you want, good luck!
    About Us: Focus on New Consumer Electronics - SpeMall.com
    Specialized in: Android Tablet PC, Car Electronics, Computer Products, Electronics Gadgets.
    Guarantee: 12 month FREE WARRANTY for all products.
    Contact Us: info@SpeMall.com, Facebook,VK Group, Youtube Video.

Administrator
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran 50,000 Experience Points 25,000 Experience Points Recommendation First Class Recommendation Second Class

Member #
    Level
    Device
    NOOK Tablet Stock NOOKcolor Rooted & ManualNooted Google Nexus 7 (2013) 32GB
    What you're looking for is not a tablet that can read .PDFs and .DOCs but an app that can. If you have a tablet with access to the Amazon Market, today's free "App of The Day" is Documents To Go Full Version. With that app installed, any tablet can handle them. Amazon.com: Documents To Go Full Version Key: Appstore for Android
    If it's important to you, you'll find a
    way. If not, you'll find an excuse.
    If you're too busy for friends,
    You're too busy.
    Attention lurkers! Join the forum,
    and enter Spider into the referrer
    field of the application.The $0.00
    USD fee will be waived.
    People will forget what you said.
    People will forget what you did.
    But, people will never forget
    how you made them feel.

Junior Member Achievements:
    7 days registered

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    What you're looking for is not a tablet that can read .PDFs and .DOCs but an app that can. If you have a tablet with access to the Amazon Market, today's free "App of The Day" is Documents To Go Full Version. With that app installed, any tablet can handle them. Amazon.com: Documents To Go Full Version Key: Appstore for Android
    That's a really good point. What about screen size? And would I be able to get those apps on the kindle fire, or does am I better off with an android tablet to be safe?

Thanks!

Last edited by Aggie9; 11-21-2011 at 11:47 AM.

Administrator
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran 50,000 Experience Points 25,000 Experience Points Recommendation First Class Recommendation Second Class

Member #
    Level
    Device
    NOOK Tablet Stock NOOKcolor Rooted & ManualNooted Google Nexus 7 (2013) 32GB
    Screen size is pretty much a matter of personal preference and what you're going to use the tablet for. If your tablet is sitting on a stand, watching movies on a 10" screen would be preferable to watching a 7"'. Holding the tablet in your hand for several hours reading a book and turning the pages, a 10" gets awful heavy. Likewise, carrying a 10" everywhere gets cumbersome and I don't trust leaving my tablet in the car so if it's not at home I'm carrying it. No matter which you get, it won't be the best for everything. What's most important to you is what matters. The Kindle is an android tablet and should not have a problem running the apps you'll need to do the things you've listed. Since you seem interested in the Fire, you've probably already devoured this section of the forum. Kindle Fire I kind of like this section too for some reason. Nook Tablet Have fun shopping for the "perfect" tablet for everything.
    If it's important to you, you'll find a
    way. If not, you'll find an excuse.
    If you're too busy for friends,
    You're too busy.
    Attention lurkers! Join the forum,
    and enter Spider into the referrer
    field of the application.The $0.00
    USD fee will be waived.
    People will forget what you said.
    People will forget what you did.
    But, people will never forget
    how you made them feel.

Member #

Did you find the right tablet?

Greetings Aggie9,
    I realize your question was from quite a while ago, but I am curious as to which tablet you decided on? and which App you found to be best. I am a researcher and I want to primarily read scientific articles (mostly PDFs) with the ability to highlight or insert notes.
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie9 View Post

E-books

Basic web browsing

Play DivX format

Thanks in advance

Ads: