Register Hello & Welcome to AndroidTablets.net, is this your first visit?

Junior Member Achievements:
    3 months registered 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points 7 days registered 31 days registered

Member #
    Device
    Acer Iconia A500

Android For Autistic Child.

I am currently on the search for a CHEAP android tablet that will run either Voice4u or SonoFlex(both require official android market, or amazon market) And android version 1.6 or 2.2 or later.
    This will be for an autistic child who throws wild tantrums. I currently have an Acer Iconia. I know that she would have such a light/thin tablet destroyed pronto. Were hoping that what ever I get her for her birthday lasts past the learning(dont break this) stage. If not, hopefully its cheap enough to be replaced. I would love under 100 dollars. I have searched and searched on amazon. I keep finding junk that doesn't have the amazon market.
    I can root if necessary, although the child's mom I am giving it too cannot, so It would either need to be a one time thing, or a vary rare thing.
    We would love if it had a backwards facing camera. As with many of these AAC apps you need pictures of the things you wish to have the app "say". If we could find one that didn't have one, I guess we could live, though it would be much more helpful. Would also be great, as her child could then take pictures of the item she wants to show to her mother (she has a speech limitation of about 10 words at age 4).

Otherwise, 7 inches would be about the best size for her little hands, don't want anything less than 5 inches as she currently has an ipod touch which is really too small.
    If anyone has any good suggestions let me know.

My break neck price is about 150. Anything more than that and I wont be able to afford it for her birthday and me and her mom will have to save to get her something after that.

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Circuit advertisement

Member Achievements:
    1 year registered 1,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 3 months registered 250 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    Iconia A100/Kyros 7022
    Honestly, no tablet is going to survive being thrown once. The cheap ones cannot even survive being dropped. You would be better off waiting until the behavior issues are dealt with before giving her a tablet. Unless the child is heavily supervised while using the tablet it is just a missle waiting forcertain destruction. I have a child with autism and they just don't understand, for the most part, that things break for good and she will be upset waiting for it to be working again.

No sub $200 tablet will come out of the box properly supporting the market. If the parent does ot understand rooting/setup then it would just be a frustrating experience for all.
    Rooted Acer A100 unlocked/TWRP/OC'd 1.5GHz/ICS/mem swap now has 32GB useable
    Rooted Kyros 7022 rooted/ICS/battered and bruised but works like a champ
    Stock Archos 80 G9 250GB w/ICS (wife's tab and she won't let me touch it)

Official ATF App Tester
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    10,000 Experience Points 5,000 Experience Points 1 year registered 3 months registered 1,000 Experience Points

Member #
    Level
    Device
    Sony Experia Tablet Z
    If you focus on refurbished instead of new, you might be able to find one that suits your needs. Keep your eye on Woot.com. a lot of times they have tablets for Deal of the Day. The child would be using it with somebody, right? I have a grand daughter that is similar. She is 5 1/2 and academically fine but gets frustrated that she cannot comunicate well. But we are 200 miles away and not much I can do to help. Getting her a tablet sounds like a really good idea as there are lots of kids apps. Good luck!

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum
    If Mods don't mind I am putting this in the sig, because I am old and forgetful.

www.surfaceforums.net

Sent from my Sony S Tablet using the Android Tablets Forum App.

Member Achievements:
    3 months registered 250 Experience Points 31 days registered 100 Experience Points 7 days registered

Member #
    If the child has an IEP put in place by the local school district, the may consider the tablet as a learning aid, and provide one. This will not last if thrown, so at any rate, it will need to be used under supervision. Check with the schools.

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk

Member Achievements:
    1 year registered 1,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 3 months registered 250 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    acer a100
    i think this one, while a bit over what you wanted to pay, would be perfect for her. this article was written in november, before it was available, but it's now out and available for purchase.
    Toys R Us Now Offering Kid-Friendly Nabi Tablet For Pre-Order – Specs And Price Are Better Than You Think

Official ATF App Tester
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    10,000 Experience Points 5,000 Experience Points 1 year registered 3 months registered 1,000 Experience Points

Member #
    Level
    Device
    Sony Experia Tablet Z
    This is currently $170 at Toys R Us. The pictures in that article make it look like you can get a carrier for it that might protect it somewhat.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum
    If Mods don't mind I am putting this in the sig, because I am old and forgetful.

www.surfaceforums.net

Sent from my Sony S Tablet using the Android Tablets Forum App.

Administrator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran 50,000 Experience Points 25,000 Experience Points Recommendation First Class Recommendation Second Class

Member #
    Level
    Device
    NOOK Tablet Stock NOOKcolor Rooted & ManualNooted Google Nexus 7 (2013) 32GB
    Quote Originally Posted by mamawm View Post
    This article was written in November, before it was available
    This is the current article with the $169.99 price and free shipping. They also offer "Bill Me Later! No Payments/No Interest if paid in Full in 6 months for orders $100 or more. Subject to credit approval." if that would help. Nabi Kids Tablet with Android - Fuhu - Toys "R" Us
    If it's important to you, you'll find a
    way. If not, you'll find an excuse.
    If you're too busy for friends,
    You're too busy.
    Attention lurkers! Join the forum,
    and enter Spider into the referrer
    field of the application.The $0.00
    USD fee will be waived.
    People will forget what you said.
    People will forget what you did.
    But, people will never forget
    how you made them feel.

Developer
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 446
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class 10,000 Experience Points 5,000 Experience Points 1 year registered 1,000 Experience Points

Member #
    Level
    Device
    Coby 7065, Coby 8042, Coby 9740, Lenovo A2109
    There are many good tablets you can buy for less than $150, that market works right out of the box. here is one that I own and this is the store I bought it from.

iview-710tpc Iview 7 inch Touch Screen Android 2.3 Tablet PC 800 x 480 Resolution 256MB DDR RAM WiFi 4GB Flash memory Micro SD Mini HDMI Mini USB Ports-Best Computer Online Store Houston Buy Discount Prices Texas-Directron.com

Very good tablet I still use it as my to go tablet. here is the next step up from same company.

Iview 760-TPC 7 inch Touch Screen Tablet PC Iview 800x480 Corex A8 CPU 512MB DDR3 4GB Flash WiFi Webcam Micro SD Card Slot Android 2.3-Best Computer Online Store Houston Buy Discount Prices Texas-Directron.com

And here is the tablet I have ordered haven't received it yet. as you can see you can get a lot in your price range all with market working out of the box.

McBub: Low-Priced Ployer MOMO8, USD 149.99, Ployer MOMO8 Business Edition Tablet PC - 8 inch 8GB Android 4.0 1.5GHz Capacitive 2160P HD 3D Movie (CN109156)
    Last edited by vampirefo.; 02-26-2012 at 05:22 PM.

Ads: