Register Hello & Welcome to AndroidTablets.net, is this your first visit?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree5Thanks

Thread: Proscan Tablets?

Developer
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 314
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class 10,000 Experience Points 5,000 Experience Points 1 year registered 1,000 Experience Points

Member #
    Level
    Device
    Coby 7065, Coby 8042, Coby 9740, Lenovo A2109
    For $10 more you can get a d2pad from biglots. Nice cheap tablet.
    If you like my work buy me a coffee!!!

Donations Appreciated

Due to the overwhelming PM's that I receive, I am unable to answer all the questions and many questions are duplicates so PLEASE post all questions on this forum so I may better help you and any others who are having the same issues.

No PM's regarding windows questions will be answered, I am a Linux Guy.

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Achievements:
    7 days registered

Member #
    Device
    Proscan 7035
    I purchased one of the 7" tablets from Big Lots yesterday ($69).

http://www.curtisint.com/products/Im...ts/PLT7035.pdf

Getting it set up & on the network was relatively trouble-free. It's able to browse the internet using the default browser, and does so without any apparent issues. I was able to add my account info in it as well, also without an issue.

But - when attempting to install apps - it is bizarre. Some apps - like Words with Friends - installed just fine - zippy download & installed & showing up on the app screen. Other apps - like Netflix, Gmail, Huffington Post, IMDB, BBC News, or any of the apps I have to control things like my media server, or other home devices - I'm able to get to the app in GetJar, find it & click on the Download link. However, at that point - it just sits there at 0% until I exit the GetJar application, or power down the unit.

Since we're on Time Warner cable - which will historically lock up either my router about every other day, I'm not 100% sure that the problem is all with the Proscan. Those lockups - with severe "tiling" on the TV's, dropped audio in them, as well as a dropped internet connection which refuses to release & renew - are also preventing my VOIP home phone from working.

I had purchased this with the intent of using it as a remote and a reader, mostly, with some web browsing thrown in.

However, the app store in Google doesn't appear to work, and a download from there only re-pushes it to my phone (Razr). GetJar has the apps, but only a handful of my most frequent ones will download.

Edit - the manual is about as next to useless as it could be. The info it gives is only the type of info that ought to be in a "quick start" guide. The English version is in some type of "pidgin" english that's a cross between text abbreviations & mixes past, present & future tense of instructions interchangeably. Extremely useless.

I didn't want to re-invent the wheel just to get this to work. Has anyone been able to get the GetJar app to successfully download apps? Is it select ones? Any ones? For $69, I thought it was decent - it does have decent quality Youtube playback - but if that's all it'll do......

Any thoughts, suggestions, or fixes would be appreciated...

Thanks

Steve__o
    Last edited by steve__o; 11-05-2012 at 09:36 AM. Reason: additional information

7 days registered

Member #
    I was considering this tablet for my wife to use on trips. Does it really have a HDMI port for video-out?

7 days registered

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jspags15 View Post
    I was considering this tablet for my wife to use on trips. Does it really have a HDMI port for video-out?
    No, just a headphone jack. It looks nice but seems pretty worthless since there is no way to install apps on it.
    Last edited by stevec1000; 11-06-2012 at 07:54 AM.

7 days registered

Member #
    Device
    Proscan 7" Internet Tablet

Proscan app store

I also purchased one of these over the weekend and had problems with GetJar...thought I might need to take it back. It turned out, however, that I was able to install the Amazon store through the APK installer (had to download the APK from amazon). Once the amazon store was installed, it actually works very well. Have installed quite a few apps through Amazon, including Netflix and all seem to work fine. I find that the screen is not quite as responsive as some other tablets, at times being a little slow to respond. All in all, good tablet for the price, at least so far.

One other note, I had to set up a new account for Amazon and make sure the one click purchase, or whatever they call the option, was enabled before you could start downloading.

Good luck
    - flub

Quote Originally Posted by steve__o View Post
    I purchased one of the 7" tablets from Big Lots yesterday ($69).

http://www.curtisint.com/products/Im...ts/PLT7035.pdf

Getting it set up & on the network was relatively trouble-free. It's able to browse the internet using the default browser, and does so without any apparent issues. I was able to add my account info in it as well, also without an issue.

But - when attempting to install apps - it is bizarre. Some apps - like Words with Friends - installed just fine - zippy download & installed & showing up on the app screen. Other apps - like Netflix, Gmail, Huffington Post, IMDB, BBC News, or any of the apps I have to control things like my media server, or other home devices - I'm able to get to the app in GetJar, find it & click on the Download link. However, at that point - it just sits there at 0% until I exit the GetJar application, or power down the unit.

Since we're on Time Warner cable - which will historically lock up either my router about every other day, I'm not 100% sure that the problem is all with the Proscan. Those lockups - with severe "tiling" on the TV's, dropped audio in them, as well as a dropped internet connection which refuses to release & renew - are also preventing my VOIP home phone from working.

I had purchased this with the intent of using it as a remote and a reader, mostly, with some web browsing thrown in.

However, the app store in Google doesn't appear to work, and a download from there only re-pushes it to my phone (Razr). GetJar has the apps, but only a handful of my most frequent ones will download.

Edit - the manual is about as next to useless as it could be. The info it gives is only the type of info that ought to be in a "quick start" guide. The English version is in some type of "pidgin" english that's a cross between text abbreviations & mixes past, present & future tense of instructions interchangeably. Extremely useless.

I didn't want to re-invent the wheel just to get this to work. Has anyone been able to get the GetJar app to successfully download apps? Is it select ones? Any ones? For $69, I thought it was decent - it does have decent quality Youtube playback - but if that's all it'll do......

Any thoughts, suggestions, or fixes would be appreciated...

Thanks

Steve__o
    Erbenn thanked this.

7 days registered

Member #
    Device
    Galaxy S3
    New to this site (my first post) I'm considering purchasing two of these proscan 7" tablets for my kids. I have a 2 year old son and a 4 year old daughter and they're both always asking to watch netflix and play games on my S3. Is this tablet user friendly enough for my kids? They both have no problem unlocking my screen and navigating throughout my phone. Is GetJar the app store for the tablet? Does it have the same apps/games as the play store? Thanks!
    Erbenn thanked this.

7 days registered

Member #
    Device
    Proscan

Proscan tab

Quote Originally Posted by roryglass450 View Post
    New to this site (my first post) I'm considering purchasing two of these proscan 7" tablets for my kids. I have a 2 year old son and a 4 year old daughter and they're both always asking to watch netflix and play games on my S3. Is this tablet user friendly enough for my kids? They both have no problem unlocking my screen and navigating throughout my phone. Is GetJar the app store for the tablet? Does it have the same apps/games as the play store? Thanks!

This tablet is user friendly if you have a good app store, that is the only problem I have encountered with mine I think It will be good for your children. but if they want to install a lot of games you should probably put a micro SD card in them

7 days registered

Member #
    Device
    Proscan PLT7035-PL, Samsung Galaxy

I am returning Tablet today

Quote Originally Posted by steve__o View Post

However, the app store in Google doesn't appear to work, and a download from there only re-pushes it to my phone (Razr). GetJar has the apps, but only a handful of my most frequent ones will download.I didn't want to re-invent the wheel just to get this to work. Has anyone been able to get the GetJar app to successfully download apps? Is it select ones? Any ones? For $69, I thought it was decent - it does have decent quality Youtube playback - but if that's all it'll do......
    I have the same problem as you Steve, it is not your wi-fi connection. I finally determined that the tablet is pretty much useless, even for a 5 year old kid who only cares about playing games and watching videos on it. What's the point if you can't download the game the kid wants to play? GetJar is the problem, I think and I haven't found a way around using it (not for lack of trying). I was not successful in my attempt to install another app store (I also tried to install the an app that searches Google Play Store, but wouldn't download).

I think I'd rather spend the extra $$ on something worthwhile. Just my opinion (I could be spoiled by my Galaxy tablet, though).
    --Brenda

7 days registered

Member #
    Device
    Proscan 7" Internet Tablet
    GetJar is definitely the problem. I'm not sure why it would ship with a disfunctional store...but alas it did. As I mentioned in the previous post, the Amazon store seems to have fixed the problem for me. My 7 year old has enjoyed playing with it and doesn't seem to have any problem. Keep in mind, though, it's still a cheap tablet and doesn't have the best screen nor the best battery life.

Hope this helps
    - flub

Quote Originally Posted by BrendaE View Post
    I have the same problem as you Steve, it is not your wi-fi connection. I finally determined that the tablet is pretty much useless, even for a 5 year old kid who only cares about playing games and watching videos on it. What's the point if you can't download the game the kid wants to play? GetJar is the problem, I think and I haven't found a way around using it (not for lack of trying). I was not successful in my attempt to install another app store (I also tried to install the an app that searches Google Play Store, but wouldn't download).

I think I'd rather spend the extra $$ on something worthwhile. Just my opinion (I could be spoiled by my Galaxy tablet, though).
    --Brenda

7 days registered

Member #
    Device
    Proscan PLT7035-PL, Samsung Galaxy

Update on Returning Tablet Today

Quote Originally Posted by flubbard View Post
    GetJar is definitely the problem. I'm not sure why it would ship with a disfunctional store...but alas it did. As I mentioned in the previous post, the Amazon store seems to have fixed the problem for me. My 7 year old has enjoyed playing with it and doesn't seem to have any problem. Keep in mind, though, it's still a cheap tablet and doesn't have the best screen nor the best battery life.

Hope this helps
    - flub
    Thank you for that. I had just finished "wiping" the tablet for return and went searching for another cheap one on Amazon. During that search I read a couple of reviews on another cheap Coby tablet where they mentioned Amazon App Store and 1Mobile. So I went to Amazon App Store and downloaded it to the tablet, then after installing it, went in search of some of the apps I couldn't previously install. They downloaded, installed and appear to run fine. I will give this tablet another chance, play with it for a couple more days, then decide. Who knows? I may change my mind.

One note on the Amazon App Store, you DO need to have an Amazon account with the payment method completed before you can download even free apps.

Hope this helps others.
    --Brenda

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Ads: