Register Hello & Welcome to AndroidTablets.net, is this your first visit?

Junior Member Achievements:
    250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points 3 months registered Tagger Second Class 31 days registered

Member #
    Device
    None, yet...

Tablets for College?

I will be going to college within a few months, and decided that a tablet could, theoretically, be very helpful. I have a great laptop (i7 processor, 8gb ram, etc) that I figure I could use sort of as a semi-stationery computer for essays, games, and whatever. I feel as though a ~10 inch tablet could be really helpful for a nice, portable device to take notes with and use for ebooks and text books, rather than lugging them around campus. Does anybody here use a tablet for these purposes? How well does it work? Also, I'm deciding between the Xoom, Galaxy 10.1, and a few other upcoming dual core, 10 inch tabs, any experiential suggestions?
    Thanks

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Circuit advertisement

Member Achievements:
    1,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points Tagger Second Class

Member #
    Device
    HTC Wildfire, Barnes&Noble NOOK Color
    hey mate, i had exactly the same plans as you. wanted a tablet to take notes. but i decided that i would rather not as i dont find the touchscreen keyboard that intuitive. so im just getting a nookColor. its only 250 bucks and has lots of great roms for it. its only a 7" screen tho. it will be great for browsing and checking my timetable, keeping track of assignments to do etc.

but if you must take notes on a tablet and want a 10" screen, i would suggest you take a look at the viewsonic g-tablet, creative vio 10", archos 101. much cheaper than the xoom and galaxy. but if you are more than happy to spend the cash/want dual cores, go for the latter
    Last edited by dpakrr; 02-27-2011 at 10:19 PM.

Junior Member Achievements:
    500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 1 year registered 100 Experience Points 3 months registered

Member #
    I have the Viewsonic G Tablet with the TNT G-Harmony custom ROM, and for the money, I think this is the best value out there with a 10.1" screen. Browsing the web on this, with Flash installed and the Dolphin HD browser, is a very nice experience. Battery life is very good, I'd say 7+ hours, never really timed it, just my estimate. Also, it has a very good supportive community. I highly recommend this combo. Good luck.

Moderator Achievements:
    10,000 Experience Points 1 year registered 5,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points

Member #
    Viewsonic gtab would be a good option for you. Grab a stand and a BT keyboard and your set for class. Flexy BT keboards run around $20-$50 and take up minimal space. To date... the gTab has the best hardware for the price. You must root it though. I don't know your level of competance with this but there are pleanty of threads here to root, not matter what tab you pick.
    Fugatech
    nookcolor 1.1 rooted with Auto-Nooter 3.0.0//Viewsonic G-Tab running 1.1 Bottle of Smoke a5.2 Honeycomb //Droid 2 rooted running Liberty v1.5
    Remember to use the Thanks button!

Ads: