Register Hello & Welcome to AndroidTablets.net, is this your first visit?

Thanks Tree1Thanks
  • 1 Post By Tom T

Thread: Archos to Launch 13.3-Inch FamilyPad in the UK Next Month

Editor in Chief
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran Recommendation First Class 50,000 Experience Points Recommendation Second Class 25,000 Experience Points

Member #
    Level

Archos to Launch 13.3-Inch FamilyPad in the UK Next Month

While it looks like much of the industry is moving toward smaller and lighter tablets like the Nexus 7 and the iPad Mini, Archos is betting there is still a market out there for a larger design. The company plans to launch a new Android tablet next month it calls the FamilyPad. This new tablet will be a 13.3-inch behemoth designed for family members to "share" simultaneously. The tablet will first go on sale in the UK next month for 274.99, and there is no word if it will come to the US. Here's a quote with the details of this new

The tablet has a large 13.3-inch screen with a native resolution of 1280 x 800. The display can show 16 million colors and has an aspect ratio of 16:10. The tablet runs Android 4.0 for the operating system and has a large battery promising over 10 hours of video playback per charge.

The tablet also offers lots of connectivity options including a mini HDMI output, USB host for transferring data from the flash drive or hard drive, and integrated Wi-Fi. The tablet has 8 GB of internal storage and a microSD card slot for storage expansion. The tablet ships with a quick stand making it a freestanding unit.

The processor is an ARM Cortex A8 running at 1 GHz and the tablet has 1 GB of RAM. The tablet is also fitted with front and rear two-megapixel cameras, a microphone, integrated stereo speakers, and a G-sensor.
    What do you guys think? Is this something your family could actually use without causing World War III in the house?

Source: SlashGear

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Circuit advertisement

Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 264
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10,000 Experience Points 5,000 Experience Points 1 year registered 1,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points

Member #
    Level
    Device
    Hauwei S7
    I kind of wonder if Archos really saw an opening here or just kind of threw this out there to see if they could find and hopefully exploit new territory, seeing that it hadn't been tried yet.
    I still have my Archos 5 IT, and it was a fantastic device well ahead of its time. It might have been the first tablet type device running Android (can't be sure of this, but I don't remember any other manufacturers with a product in the marketplace at the time) and was a great media device. Samsungs Galaxy Players are quite similar today.
    I wish them good fortune, and although it is an interesting idea to bring people intimately together with the same technology that has more often pulled us into our own worlds of individual intetest, I can't help but make what seems like an obvious comparison to the smatt TV's that strive to do the same on a slightly, or enormously, larger scale.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1
    Huawei S7 104 (BB)
    Froyo 2.2.2 S7V100R001C98B021
    SOC Rooted - link2sd

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
    SS SsS oo

Alternate ATF App Tester
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    50,000 Experience Points Veteran 25,000 Experience Points 10,000 Experience Points 1 year registered

Member #
    Level
    Device
    galaxy note,galaxy 8.9 ,nook color
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom T
    I kind of wonder if Archos really saw an opening here or just kind of threw this out there to see if they could find and hopefully exploit new territory, seeing that it hadn't been tried yet.
    I still have my Archos 5 IT, and it was a fantastic device well ahead of its time. It might have been the first tablet type device running Android (can't be sure of this, but I don't remember any other manufacturers with a product in the marketplace at the time) and was a great media device. Samsungs Galaxy Players are quite similar today.
    I wish them good fortune, and although it is an interesting idea to bring people intimately together with the same technology that has more often pulled us into our own worlds of individual intetest, I can't help but make what seems like an obvious comparison to the smatt TV's that strive to do the same on a slightly, or enormously, larger scale.

Actually, the territory has been exploited already by Toshiba with their Excite 13"few months back. I don't know how successful it was though, also because it didn't come cheap like this new Arches....I believe it started at $650.
    Samsung Galaxy Note
    Samsung Galaxy 8.9"
    Nook Color

Life must be lived as play. (Plato)

Junior Member Achievements:
    3 months registered 250 Experience Points 31 days registered 100 Experience Points 7 days registered

Member #
    I wanted that toshiba 13! but I was never able to find it for sale! and no one would ever give an answer even from toshiba.

Achievements:
    10,000 Experience Points 5,000 Experience Points 1 year registered 1,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points

Member #
    Level
    Device
    Hauwei S7
    Quote Originally Posted by idontknow

Actually, the territory has been exploited already by Toshiba with their Excite 13"few months back. I don't know how successful it was though, also because it didn't come cheap like this new Arches....I believe it started at $650.
    I had forgotten about this, a lot of people were kind of scratching their heads about it, although there did seem to be sone interst.
    I actually replied to this last night, and I quoted you, but apparently I reported you or this thread or something instead. Maybe I do need a 13" screen since I apparently don't have the eyesight, or skills, to press the right buttons.

Spider thanked this.
    Huawei S7 104 (BB)
    SOC Rooted - link2sd

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
    SS SsS oo

Alternate ATF App Tester
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    50,000 Experience Points Veteran 25,000 Experience Points 10,000 Experience Points 1 year registered

Member #
    Level
    Device
    galaxy note,galaxy 8.9 ,nook color
    You are right about the eyesight, Tom...it can be a good tablet for people who don't see well on a small screen, whatever the reason.I was looking ,around yesterday to see if I could find out how many Toshiba 13" have been sold so far,I found instead comments from people who bought them. Most of them have a poor eyesight because age mainly and they were very happy with the screen size on the tablet. So we should give the new tablet 13" as a Christmas present to our parents or grandparents, since it's not that expensive and big!:-D
    Samsung Galaxy Note
    Samsung Galaxy 8.9"
    Nook Color

Life must be lived as play. (Plato)

Achievements:

Member #
    Level
    Device
    Hauwei S7
    That is an excellent idea!

Sent from my Sony Tablet P
    Huawei S7 104 (BB)
    SOC Rooted - link2sd

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
    SS SsS oo

Ads: