Register Hello & Welcome to AndroidTablets.net, is this your first visit?

Thanks Tree1Thanks
  • 1 Post By dgstorm

Thread: Convert an OG Kindle Fire Into a Pseudo-Nexus 7 with Android 4.2/Jelly Bean (Video)

Editor in Chief
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran Recommendation First Class 50,000 Experience Points Recommendation Second Class 25,000 Experience Points

Member #
    Level

Convert an OG Kindle Fire Into a Pseudo-Nexus 7 with Android 4.2/Jelly Bean (Video)

The above is a demo video that shows off an original Kindle Fire tablet that has been converted into an Android 4.2/Jelly Bean toting facsimile of a Nexus 7. The folks at Liliputing put together this handy video demoing the newly transformed tablet. They used a method shared by XDA developer "Hashcode." The build is almost 100% functional and is only missing a small amount of features. After the conversion you won't be able to use the microphone, although the sound still works. You also won't be able to use the Swype keyboard, will lose the USB camera support, and the battery life will be worse.

Obviously, the other glaring difference is that the display isn't the same resolution as the Nexus 7 nor is the processor the same, but the newly altered tablet should still make a reasonable approximation. It seems like a great way to re-tool an older Kindle Fire if you have already upgraded to the Kindle Fire HD. Seems like an intriguing idea...

Source: Liliputing
    J515OP thanked this.

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Circuit advertisement

Super Moderator Achievements:
    50,000 Experience Points Recommendation Second Class 25,000 Experience Points 1 year registered 10,000 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    Nook Color, Nook Tablet 16GB, Vizio VTab, Nexus 7
    Also works for the Nook Tablet which is similar in spec to the OG Kindle Fire (same chip but NT has 1GB of RAM (16GB model) and expandable storage). NT makes a great Jelly Bean tablet (Quadrant score of 3509 just in daily use without fresh reboot or closed apps, etc.) so I am sure this would be one too.

I actually find the NT to be very comparable to the Nexus 7 in practical use as far as performance.
    Nexus 7
    Nook Color -
    (SD): 1. CM7 7.1.0, 2. CM7 7.0.3 Encore
    (eMMC): CM10 Nightlies
    Nook Tablet 16GB: Jelly Bean
    VTAB1008: Rooted Gingerbread

Android OS Help & How To

“Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them.” - Albert Einstein

Member #
    I am now running Jelly Bean 4.2 on my Kindle Fire 1 and I love it. There are drawbacks but overall the experience is superior to the Amazon Gingerbread. One thing really bugging me, though, is that device encryption doesn't seem to "take". Anyone run into this?

Ads: