Register Hello & Welcome to AndroidTablets.net, is this your first visit?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Thanks Tree6Thanks

Thread: Do you use a screen protector on a Capacitive Touch Screen?

Senior Member Achievements:
    1 year registered 3 months registered 31 days registered 1,000 Experience Points Overdrive

Member #
    Device
    Dell 11z (1121)

Do you use a screen protector on a Capacitive Touch Screen?

I am just curious as to the need for such a thing on a Coby 1125 device. Is it needed on a capacitive touch screen? Or would it interfere with the sensitivity to the point of making it almost unusable? Thanks in advance for the advice. I know resistive screens need such a protector, but haven't come across it being mentioned for capacitive screens needing the same protection.

Also while you're reading about capacitive touch screens, I know if we wanted a stylus it would be a different kind of stylus, do you use a stylus on your capacitive touch screen?

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Circuit advertisement

Super Moderator Achievements:
    50,000 Experience Points Recommendation Second Class 25,000 Experience Points 1 year registered 10,000 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    Nook Color, Nook Tablet 16GB, Vizio VTab, Nexus 7
    Yes to the screen protector on several capacitive screens. They have a slightly different feel but they shouldn't degrade performance at all (nice ones won't cheap ones might). Some people don't like the feel compared to the glass. After a couple of days of use you can't even notice anymore. Most also prevent fingerprints more than just the glass does. They are not expensive so I suggest trying one out. If you like it then your screen is protected. If you don't well you maybe wasted a few dollars but at least you'll know.

As for the stylus I haven't tried one. Fingers work fine. I think if I was trying to take notes or draw I'd use one but I'd feel silly using one to play Angry Birds.
    Pamster thanked this.
    Nexus 7
    Nook Color -
    (SD): 1. CM7 7.1.0, 2. CM7 7.0.3 Encore
    (eMMC): CM10 Nightlies
    Nook Tablet 16GB: Jelly Bean
    VTAB1008: Rooted Gingerbread

Android OS Help & How To

“Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them.” - Albert Einstein

1 year registered 3 months registered 31 days registered 1,000 Experience Points Overdrive

Member #
    Device
    Dell 11z (1121)
    Thanks J515OP! I had a feeling that was the case, with the screen protectors, we'll definitely order one when we get the Coby. I am sure hubby won't want a stylus either, but I might. Thanks for the advice on the screen protector! I know fingerprints can be a bother to some people, my hubby included, so it's probably going to behoove us to get one just to keep those down to a minimum.

50,000 Experience Points Recommendation Second Class 25,000 Experience Points 1 year registered 10,000 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    Some glass attracts finger prints more that others, it depends on the device but I think the screen protector helps with the prints. Even if it is just the same at repelling prints as the screen you can easily wipe it with a napkin or your sleeve or on your jeans and not have to worry about scuffing the screen. I feel like if you have glass you're always are looking for something soft or have to carry a microfiber wipe with you. It is sort of comforting to know you have a protector and not have to worry what you are wiping the screen with, though you probably still want to use something relatively soft
    Pamster thanked this.
    Nexus 7
    Nook Color -

Android OS Help & How To

“Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them.” - Albert Einstein

Member #
    Device
    Dell 11z (1121)
    I love my microfiber cloth for my laptop, it works great! I am glad that you mentioned that, I will pick up a couple more before we get the tablet so hubby has his own, since I don't want to give up my laptop one.

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points

Member #
    Level
    Device
    Google Nexus 10/Google Galaxy Nexus
    As for the stylus, yes; you need a special one. You can't just use any peice of plastic, you need a capacitive stylus, one that disrupts the touchscreens electrical field. Based on my knowledge of touchscreens, capacitive models use an electrical field which your finger disrupts (as our bodies have a slight electrical charge). Hence, if you want to use a stylus, you need to use one that will disrupt that field (a capacitive one).
    Pamster thanked this.

Awaiting the Transformer Prime.

Administrator Achievements:
    50,000 Experience Points 25,000 Experience Points 10,000 Experience Points 5,000 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    HTC Thunderbolt, ViewSonic GTab, Huawei S7, Gentouch 78
    I use a microfiber cloth and rainx and have great performance. the rainx was recommended by one of the vendor reps last year

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum
    Pamster thanked this.
    Peter B. - email: tardis@androidtablets.net | Twitter: pbbrauer | Google+: pbbrauer | gTalk: pbbrauer@gmail.com
    Current Devices, ROMs:
    (Active) VZW Samsung Galaxy Nexus- Rooted, Android ICS 4.0.2 | ASUS Transformer Prime TF201- Rooted, Unlocked, Virtuous Prime-9.4.2.15 v1 ROM
    (Retired) Viewsonic gTab - Rooted, Flashback 10.3 (Honeycomb) | Huawei S7 - Rooted, Froyo Fusion R2 | (Other) Nook Color (2 of these) | Gentouch 7/8 - Rooted, Lincrackers Pirate 3

Remember to "Thank" people that help you out! |Click here for general Questions?

Member #
    Device
    Dell 11z (1121)
    That's what I heard too Walkop, thanks for the confirmation on that. I will probably get one for myself to use on the new Coby.

WOW! Rainx eh? Definitely have to try that! Thanks for the tip!

Member #
    Device
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamster View Post
    That's what I heard too Walkop, thanks for the confirmation on that. I will probably get one for myself to use on the new Coby.

WOW! Rainx eh? Definitely have to try that! Thanks for the tip!
    Yes, forgot to mention that you need to get a capacitive stylus and they are fairly expensive. Not that you can't find them for cheaper but average price seems to run about $15 for something that basically has a fake finger tip at the end. Again, I haven't used one but the capacitive ones look chunky and not like a typical resistive stylus you think of for doing precision work.

As pbrauer said rainex works well for finger prints but doesn't offer any actual protection for your screen. For me the protection is #1 the reduced finger prints is a bonus.
    Pamster thanked this.
    Nexus 7
    Nook Color -

Android OS Help & How To

Member #
    Device
    Dell 11z (1121)
    Thanks again J515OP! I appreciate the information on the stylus and the screen protector, both, great things to know in advance of a big tablet purchase. I guess we might not need the stylus, since I was thinking it would be easier for someone with fat fingers like me, but it might not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads: