Register Hello & Welcome to AndroidTablets.net, is this your first visit?

Thanks Tree2Thanks
  • 1 Post By SpeMall.com
  • 1 Post By Pamster

Thread: Christmas gift for 8 year old

Member #
    Device
    HP

Christmas gift for 8 year old

I have an 8 year old that loves Angry Birds and other games, youtube, and watching movies. I am looking for an entry level tablet that will serve these purposes. Should I wait till more tablets come out with ICS on it?

These are the one's I've been looking at.....

Amazon.com: Coby Kyros 7-Inch*Android 2.3 4 GB Internet Touchscreen Tablet - MID7012-4G (Black): Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: PanDigital 72-70FW 7-Inch Tablet Computer - White: Computers & Accessories

Thanks,

mykyi

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Circuit advertisement

Supporting Vendor
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First Class 150,000 Experience Points 100,000 Experience Points Recommendation Second Class 50,000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender

Member #
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by mykyi View Post
    I have an 8 year old that loves Angry Birds and other games, youtube, and watching movies. I am looking for an entry level tablet that will serve these purposes. Should I wait till more tablets come out with ICS on it?

These are the one's I've been looking at.....

Amazon.com: Coby Kyros 7-Inch*Android 2.3 4 GB Internet Touchscreen Tablet - MID7012-4G (Black): Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: PanDigital 72-70FW 7-Inch Tablet Computer - White: Computers & Accessories

Thanks,

mykyi
    Hi mykyi, welcome to the forum. for an entry level tablet, maybe you can have a look at this 7" android 2.3 tablet special offer for $88 with shipping in our site: Cheap 7 inch android 2.3 OS Tablet PC with Infomix CUP and Dual Core 800Mhz - Special Offer
    hope it's exactly what you want! welcome!
    mykyi thanked this.
    About Us: Focus on New Consumer Electronics - SpeMall.com
    Specialized in: Android Tablet PC, Car Electronics, Computer Products, Electronics Gadgets.
    Guarantee: 12 month FREE WARRANTY for all products.
    Contact Us: info@SpeMall.com, Facebook,VK Group, Youtube Video.

Member #
    8 years old??? Knows how to play?

Senior Member Achievements:
    1 year registered 3 months registered 31 days registered 1,000 Experience Points Overdrive

Member #
    Device
    Dell 11z (1121)
    Hi mykyi,

I like the Coby's as you can see from my signature I have two linked in it, to their amazon vendors, if it was me I would go for one with a capacitive screen, although if you're looking for a ICS device it won't happen in time for christmas, just aren't out there yet. I think some devices will get updated to ICS but Coby devices and the Pandigital's most likely won't get that far if they even get Honeycomb I would be stunned. In a good way. I think for angry birds a little better machine would benefit her, because the screens can be an issue on the resistive touch devices, like the Coby MID7012 or the Pandigital Novel. Not familiar with that model of the Pandigital, so I can't speak to it's screen type as the vendor doesn't mention it on that link you've shared. It would take some research to see which one it has. Odds are for $90 it's resistive. I do know that Toyos R Us had a nice Coby MID7022 on sale for $159 recently, you could check here:

Coby MID7022 7 inch 4GB Tablet - Coby Electronics - Toys "R" Us

Welcome to the board and I am glad you joined us. Hope you get the tablet that will make your tablet recipient happiest.

Member #
    Device
    HP
    Thanks for the replies and this site. While browsing, I see there are ways around the limitations on these devices.

Senior Member Achievements:
    1 year registered 3 months registered 31 days registered 1,000 Experience Points Overdrive

Member #
    Device
    Dell 11z (1121)
    Yes there are ways around some of the limitations on some devices. Be sure to read up on any technique before you actually do anything, and back up the operating system so you can restore it if something goes awry when you are trying to do something you've read about online to a tablet.

Member Achievements:
    1,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 1 year registered 100 Experience Points

Member #
    This is an old thread but I'm trying to help my friend get her 8 year old and tablet who thinks he wants an ipad LOL! There is an 8 inch coby one at Toys R US it's only 4 gigs but it has ICS and a gig of ram. Did you end up getting a Coby one and are they decent. I have the Asus Transformer Prime and just recently on Groupon was a Transformer TFT 300 for only 269 and the specs were very similar to my 499 one which I paid 399 for. I told her get that one and she could take advantage of it too but she can't afford. I got 2 other people who wanted tablets to get that one. There Adults though and I'm thinking this will be fine for an 8 year old. But I googled tablet for an 8 year and got taken here.

But anyway I think the Coby one has Get Jar and maybe the play store can be side loaded. The kid will be playing Angry Birds and a few other games and maybe watching you tube or a movie I don't know. I can't believe the have ICS and I would like to find him one with 8 Gigs. Several of them I've looked at only have 512 of ram and I think he needs 1 gig at least. But Walmart has them too and has a 9 inch one for like 119. I told her for an 8 year old the Coby one is a decent deal. But I did know to tell her make sure it has a capacative screen. But now I found this one from Walmart that I think would be great but there out of it and noone else has it. and it's got a gig of ram has the google play store

HKC 7" Capacitive Touchscreen Tablet Featuring Google Mobile Services and Android 4.0 with 8GB Memory (Assorted Colors): Computers : Walmart.com

And Home Depot has a 9 inch one with the play store for 139.97 here and everything is good except it only has 512 of Ram and not 1 gig and I wondered how Angry Birds and other games would play. But this one has the google play store and seems nice. M975 9 in. Android 4.0 1GB Tablet-M975 at The Home Depot
    Last edited by Rose4uKY; 11-26-2012 at 12:55 AM.

Ads: