Register Hello & Welcome to AndroidTablets.net, is this your first visit?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Thanks Tree17Thanks

Thread: Making your Display Screen Fingerprint-Free and Smudge-Proof

Administrator Achievements:
    50,000 Experience Points 25,000 Experience Points 10,000 Experience Points 5,000 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    HTC Thunderbolt, ViewSonic GTab, Huawei S7, Gentouch 78

Making your Display Screen Fingerprint-Free and Smudge-Proof

Making your Display Fingerprint-Free and Smudge-Proof for Nook.

I wrote this up almost a year ago in the gTablet forum, then reposted to the Nook board, but thought it might have value to bring it back and just put it in the General Tips and Tricks area. I have been doing this for over a year, have personally tested it on the ViewSonic G-Tablet, the Nook, the Galaxy 10.1, the Xoom and the Transformer with no issues and great success.

So if you are like me, of the most annoying things about the tablets has nothing to do with its functionality, but has everything to do with its display, specifically the darn fingerprints and smudges! There is now a fix for this, tested by many people including myself, and works an absolute treat at curing at least 90% of the issue.

Not only does it prevent almost all fingerprints and smudges but it also gives your display a super silky sexy feel to it.

How to do it? Rain-X! Follow these directions to a super smooth, clean screen that will last at least a month between applications.

1. Clean your screen using a GOOD microfiber cloth and a little bit of water.
    2. Repeat step one at least once! You really really want to have your screen as clean and "out-of-the-box" perfect as you possibly can get it. Check it at multiple angles and light to make sure you have no haze, no smudges, no spots.
    3. Apply Rain-X to wet the corner of a clean cotton rag
    4. Using a gentle swirling motion, apply the rain-x to the screen. It will bead up at first, but continue to swirl it on for about 20-30 seconds until it starts drying to a uniform hazy coating
    5. Wet your microfiber cloth again, getting it damp but not dripping and buff off most of the hazy coat
    6. When you have most of the haze removed, switch to the dry end of the microfiber and buff off the rest.
    7. Go back to the bright lights and multiple viewing angles to check for missed areas.

Based on the results and comments back from others here is some additional info.

- The wipes don't work as well, they are too wet
    - The standard windshield RainX product is fine, you don't need any of the specialty versions
    - It cures about 90% of the problems, but the 10% that remains wipes right off
    - It should not be used if you have a screen protector on your tablet
    - It works on both Resistive and Capacitive screens

Good luck and share your results!
    cpt_noob, TabletNewb, yann2 and 10 others thanked this.
    Peter B. - email: tardis@androidtablets.net | Twitter: pbbrauer | Google+: pbbrauer | gTalk: pbbrauer@gmail.com
    Current Devices, ROMs:
    (Active) VZW Samsung Galaxy Nexus- Rooted, Android ICS 4.0.2 | ASUS Transformer Prime TF201- Rooted, Unlocked, Virtuous Prime-9.4.2.15 v1 ROM
    (Retired) Viewsonic gTab - Rooted, Flashback 10.3 (Honeycomb) | Huawei S7 - Rooted, Froyo Fusion R2 | (Other) Nook Color (2 of these) | Gentouch 7/8 - Rooted, Lincrackers Pirate 3

Remember to "Thank" people that help you out! |Click here for general Questions?

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Circuit advertisement

Super Moderator
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 309
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran 10,000 Experience Points 5,000 Experience Points Tagger First Class 1 year registered

Member #
    Level
    Device
    ASUS TF101
    I am a bit hesitant to apply anything to my Transformer screen like Rain-X (I have also heard wax works well) but that is just me. I can deal with finger prints.
    WasteLandSavage thanked this.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munchin on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene. - Homer Jay Simpson

50,000 Experience Points 25,000 Experience Points 10,000 Experience Points 5,000 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    Frederuco, I completely understand your hesitancy. I started using this in the beginning when a factory rep from ViewSonic told me about it, and I have had no issues yet.
    Peter B. - email: tardis@androidtablets.net | Twitter: pbbrauer | Google+: pbbrauer | gTalk: pbbrauer@gmail.com
    Current Devices, ROMs:
    (Active) VZW Samsung Galaxy Nexus- Rooted, Android ICS 4.0.2 | ASUS Transformer Prime TF201- Rooted, Unlocked, Virtuous Prime-9.4.2.15 v1 ROM
    (Retired) Viewsonic gTab - Rooted, Flashback 10.3 (Honeycomb) | Huawei S7 - Rooted, Froyo Fusion R2 | (Other) Nook Color (2 of these) | Gentouch 7/8 - Rooted, Lincrackers Pirate 3

Remember to "Thank" people that help you out! |Click here for general Questions?

Member Achievements:
    3 months registered 250 Experience Points 7 days registered 31 days registered 100 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    Zenithink ZT-280 C91 Cortex A9
    this makes sense. I'll definitely try it out. I think i have some left in the trunk somewhere :P

Senior Member Achievements:
    1,000 Experience Points 3 months registered 500 Experience Points 31 days registered 250 Experience Points

Member #
    I honestly prefer to use a screen protector. Right now I just have a cheap one that shows fingerprints and smears from oils from your fingers really easily, but I just wipe it with a microfiber cloth from time to time. On my cell phone, I use a Steinheil Ultra Fine screen protector, which is a matte finish screen protector that is anti-fingerprint. It takes care of "most" of the fingerprint problem, although some do show up from time to time. Steinheil also produces an oleophobic line of screen protectors that is supposed to be anti-oil. I've never tried it, so I can't say how well it works, although it should be just as high a quality product as their other screen protectors.

Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1,000 Experience Points 31 days registered 3 months registered 100 Experience Points

Member #
    Level
    Device
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (P3113, Android version 4.0.4)
    I've used both screen protectors and Rain-x on a variety of devices starting with old Palms. I prefer the Rain-X, even when the expectations do not meet the reality. It helps in most cases, but is not as perfect as it has been suggested in the past. This is a slightly different way of doing it, so I'll try it as well.

Just FYI- a really good homemade screen cleaner for most electronics is a mix of 50/50 distilled water and white vinegar, spritzed onto a microfiber cloth and used gently- it so far has left no residue on even my most annoying screens. (Another FYI is a reminder to never machine dry microfiber cloths with fabric softener, etc.- best to just let them air dry.)
    jojo74 and HOHEPA thanked this.

Junior Member Achievements:
    3 months registered 250 Experience Points 31 days registered 100 Experience Points 7 days registered

Member #
    Device
    Does this work on tablets and phones?

Administrator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    100,000 Experience Points Veteran Overdrive Tagger First Class Recommendation First Class

Member #
    Level
    Device
    NOOK Tablet Stock NOOKcolor Rooted & ManualNooted Google Nexus 7 (2013) 32GB
    Quote Originally Posted by hardlec View Post
    Does this work on tablets and phones?
    Yes, you've got the same type of screen.
    If it's important to you, you'll find a
    way. If not, you'll find an excuse.
    If you're too busy for friends,
    You're too busy.
    Attention lurkers! Join the forum,
    and enter Spider into the referrer
    field of the application.The $0.00
    USD fee will be waived.
    People will forget what you said.
    People will forget what you did.
    But, people will never forget
    how you made them feel.

Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 367
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10,000 Experience Points 1 year registered Tagger First Class 5,000 Experience Points 3 months registered

Member #
    Level
    Device
    Le Pan TC970, Archos 101, Palm Pre2 webOS, HP Touchpad
    Excellent and detailed post, thank you, pbrauer.

:: Le Pan TC970 (CM7 Beta) ::: Archos 101T (UrukDroid) ::: Palm Pre2 (webOS 2.2) ::: HP Touchpad (webOS 3, CM9) ::

Member #
    Device
    That's what we are here for!
    Current Devices, ROMs:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads: