Making your Display Fingerprint-Free and Smudge-Proof for Nook.
I wrote this up almost a year ago in the gTablet forum, then reposted to the Nook board, but thought it might have value to bring it back and just put it in the General Tips and Tricks area. I have been doing this for over a year, have personally tested it on the ViewSonic G-Tablet, the Nook, the Galaxy 10.1, the Xoom and the Transformer with no issues and great success.
So if you are like me, of the most annoying things about the tablets has nothing to do with its functionality, but has everything to do with its display, specifically the darn fingerprints and smudges! There is now a fix for this, tested by many people including myself, and works an absolute treat at curing at least 90% of the issue.
Not only does it prevent almost all fingerprints and smudges but it also gives your display a super silky sexy feel to it.
How to do it? Rain-X! Follow these directions to a super smooth, clean screen that will last at least a month between applications.
1. Clean your screen using a GOOD microfiber cloth and a little bit of water.
2. Repeat step one at least once! You really really want to have your screen as clean and "out-of-the-box" perfect as you possibly can get it. Check it at multiple angles and light to make sure you have no haze, no smudges, no spots.
3. Apply Rain-X to wet the corner of a clean cotton rag
4. Using a gentle swirling motion, apply the rain-x to the screen. It will bead up at first, but continue to swirl it on for about 20-30 seconds until it starts drying to a uniform hazy coating
5. Wet your microfiber cloth again, getting it damp but not dripping and buff off most of the hazy coat
6. When you have most of the haze removed, switch to the dry end of the microfiber and buff off the rest.
7. Go back to the bright lights and multiple viewing angles to check for missed areas.
Based on the results and comments back from others here is some additional info.
- The wipes don't work as well, they are too wet
- The standard windshield RainX product is fine, you don't need any of the specialty versions
- It cures about 90% of the problems, but the 10% that remains wipes right off
- It should not be used if you have a screen protector on your tablet
- It works on both Resistive and Capacitive screens
Good luck and share your results!