Register Hello & Welcome to AndroidTablets.net, is this your first visit?

Results 1 to 10 of 10
Thanks Tree2Thanks
  • 1 Post By Traveller1701
  • 1 Post By Traveller1701

Thread: Is it possible to root the MID9740-8

  1. #1
    Junior Member Achievements:
    7 days registered 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points

    Member #
    153531
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Knoxville, tn
    Posts
    8
    Thanked
    1 times
    Device
    MID9740-8

    Unhappy Is it possible to root the MID9740-8

    I cannot seems to get the 9742 root method to work. I would like to install a custom ROM if possible but at this time I am more than willing to settle for just root access and then see if I can figure out the gapps. Please help!!

    Thanks so much for any feedback

  2. # ADS
    Ads
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

  3. #2
    Super Moderator
    Points: 22,264, Level: 92
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class 1 year registered 10,000 Experience Points 5,000 Experience Points Recommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Arm of Law

    Member #
    122577
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,718
    Thanked
    746 times
    Points
    22,264
    Level
    92
    Device
    Coby Kyros MID9742, Dell Streak 5
    Details?

    Seriously, if you expect anyone to help you, you cannot just say, "I cannot seem to get the 9742 root method to work." You need to tell everyone exactly what steps you have taken to get you to this point, and also need to tell everyone what kind of responses you are getting.

    None of us are mind readers, and this type of post with no details in it is a waste of our time, and yours.
    "Most people bake cookies. I bake motherboards."

    I do not accept PMs asking for one-on-one tech support. Ask on the forums so everyone can benefit.
    Play Store Tweaks For Stock Coby 9742 ROMs | Rooting Instructions For Coby Generation 3 Devices

  4. #3
    Junior Member Achievements:
    7 days registered 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points

    Member #
    153531
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Knoxville, tn
    Posts
    8
    Thanked
    1 times
    Device
    MID9740-8
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveller1701 View Post
    Details?

    Seriously, if you expect anyone to help you, you cannot just say, "I cannot seem to get the 9742 root method to work." You need to tell everyone exactly what steps you have taken to get you to this point, and also need to tell everyone what kind of responses you are getting.

    None of us are mind readers, and this type of post with no details in it is a waste of our time, and yours.

    Ok. Trying to complete the method stated by using Live Suite to load a custom ROM inside the upgrade mode. To post the instructions I am going by:

    This isn't much, just a slight modification of the stock firmware with root, Google Play, and a few other changes.

    WARNING:
    This firmware was tested on a Novo 7 Elf and it worked fine, but you are solely responsible for its use.
    If it bricks your tablet you've been warned.


    Features:
    - Gapps + Google Play fix
    - Rooted
    - NetworkLocation service fixed (to pinpoint your location in apps like Google Maps)
    - Deodexed for easier modding/theming
    - Samsung Galaxy tab fingerprint for better app compatibility

    Downloads:
    Version 0.1:
    cfw_coby_7042_4.0.3_0.1.zip

    Flashing instructions:
    - Download LiveSuite, this is the flashing software for A10 devices
    - Run LiveSuitePack.exe (a bunch of files will be extracted to the current folder, so best to create a new one)
    - Now run livesuite.exe
    - Choose "SelectImage"
    - Choose the coby_kyros_4.0.3.img
    - Now you need to put your device in upgrade mode, to do so:
    1. power off the device
    2. Press and hold any physical key except the power key on the device(ie, press and hold Vol+ key, still holding in 3 and 4)
    3. Connect the tablet to your PC via USB cable
    4. Repeatedly press the power button until a popup dialog shows on your computer screen
    - Now follow the on-screen instructions

    Windows 7 64-Bit users: it has been reported that you must use LiveSuite 1.0.7
    LiveSuitPack_v1.07.rar

    Thanks to all who posted firmware dumps and tested in this thread
    http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/...3-devices.html

    Discussion is also taking place in this thread:
    http://www.flashmyandroid.com/forum/...=5327#post5327

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    I can't get the device to go into upgrade mode first off like stated in this Post. The only way I can think to do this is to go into the upgrade mode inside system recovery however I doubt that would work because when I do this with the tablet hooked up to the computer with LIVE SUITE running I get no response from the live suite program.

    so problems by steps are

    1. I cannot get the device into upgrade mode as stated here that will work for the 9742.
    2. I cannot get the LIVE SUITE program to recognize the tablet to even begin to load the custom ROM.

    I have plenty of experience with rooting Android devices so I think I should be able to keep up if there are any directions that I can be pointed here. I hope this helps more than the cryptic post before.

    Thanks so much
    Last edited by Traveller1701; 12-11-2012 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Removed links

  5. #4
    Junior Member Achievements:
    7 days registered 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points

    Member #
    153531
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Knoxville, tn
    Posts
    8
    Thanked
    1 times
    Device
    MID9740-8
    Quote Originally Posted by brianpetty80 View Post
    Ok. Trying to complete the method stated by using Live Suite to load a custom ROM inside the upgrade mode. To post the instructions I am going by:

    This isn't much, just a slight modification of the stock firmware with root, Google Play, and a few other changes.

    WARNING:
    This firmware was tested on a Novo 7 Elf and it worked fine, but you are solely responsible for its use.
    If it bricks your tablet you've been warned.


    Features:
    - Gapps + Google Play fix
    - Rooted
    - NetworkLocation service fixed (to pinpoint your location in apps like Google Maps)
    - Deodexed for easier modding/theming
    - Samsung Galaxy tab fingerprint for better app compatibility

    Downloads:
    Version 0.1:
    cfw_coby_7042_4.0.3_0.1.zip

    Flashing instructions:
    - Download LiveSuite, this is the flashing software for A10 devices
    - Run LiveSuitePack.exe (a bunch of files will be extracted to the current folder, so best to create a new one)
    - Now run livesuite.exe
    - Choose "SelectImage"
    - Choose the coby_kyros_4.0.3.img
    - Now you need to put your device in upgrade mode, to do so:
    1. power off the device
    2. Press and hold any physical key except the power key on the device(ie, press and hold Vol+ key, still holding in 3 and 4)
    3. Connect the tablet to your PC via USB cable
    4. Repeatedly press the power button until a popup dialog shows on your computer screen
    - Now follow the on-screen instructions

    Windows 7 64-Bit users: it has been reported that you must use LiveSuite 1.0.7
    LiveSuitPack_v1.07.rar

    Thanks to all who posted firmware dumps and tested in this thread
    http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/...3-devices.html

    Discussion is also taking place in this thread:
    http://www.flashmyandroid.com/forum/...=5327#post5327

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    I can't get the device to go into upgrade mode first off like stated in this Post. The only way I can think to do this is to go into the upgrade mode inside system recovery however I doubt that would work because when I do this with the tablet hooked up to the computer with LIVE SUITE running I get no response from the live suite program.

    so problems by steps are

    1. I cannot get the device into upgrade mode as stated here that will work for the 9742.
    2. I cannot get the LIVE SUITE program to recognize the tablet to even begin to load the custom ROM.

    I have plenty of experience with rooting Android devices so I think I should be able to keep up if there are any directions that I can be pointed here. I hope this helps more than the cryptic post before.

    Thanks so much

    SO I just recognized that I just posted the thread for the wrong tablet, however this thread, which is the right one : [ROM] Custom ROM for Coby Kyros 9742 - rooted, deodexed, Google Play , read much the same process and gives me the same problems.
    Last edited by Traveller1701; 12-11-2012 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Removed links

  6. #5
    Super Moderator
    Points: 22,264, Level: 92
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class 1 year registered 10,000 Experience Points 5,000 Experience Points Recommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Arm of Law

    Member #
    122577
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,718
    Thanked
    746 times
    Points
    22,264
    Level
    92
    Device
    Coby Kyros MID9742, Dell Streak 5
    Well your first problem is that you're trying to use Livesuite to put Google Play on the tablet. DON'T! You'll brick your tablet.

    Use the tools I made available in the sticky posts (marked READ FIRST) at the top of the Generation 3 Development forum instead, if you're running Windows. Those methods are far better than using Livesuite.
    Last edited by Traveller1701; 11-10-2012 at 10:11 AM.
    jmblouin thanked this.
    "Most people bake cookies. I bake motherboards."

    I do not accept PMs asking for one-on-one tech support. Ask on the forums so everyone can benefit.
    Play Store Tweaks For Stock Coby 9742 ROMs | Rooting Instructions For Coby Generation 3 Devices

  7. #6
    Junior Member Achievements:
    7 days registered 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points

    Member #
    153531
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Knoxville, tn
    Posts
    8
    Thanked
    1 times
    Device
    MID9740-8
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveller1701 View Post
    Well your first problem is that you're trying to use Livesuite to put Google Play on the tablet. DON'T! You'll brick your tablet.

    Use the tools I made available in the sticky posts (marked READ FIRST) at the top of the Generation 3 Development forum instead, if you're running Windows. Those methods are far better than using Livesuite.

    Ok thanks so much for this. I was able to get root, CWM recovery and installed this ROM : Mobiz V2 for 9742 by Vampirefo

    However now the screen is inverted and the axis is wrong. I have researched and found that this is a known issue and requires updated drivers. I have tries to push these drivers as referenced in this Thread:
    http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-3-development/40568-9742-mbr-problems-such-post-here-10.html on page 10. I cannot get the files to push however, is there another way to do this or maybe a ROM that already has this done?

    Thanks

  8. #7
    Super Moderator
    Points: 22,264, Level: 92
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class 1 year registered 10,000 Experience Points 5,000 Experience Points Recommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Arm of Law

    Member #
    122577
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,718
    Thanked
    746 times
    Points
    22,264
    Level
    92
    Device
    Coby Kyros MID9742, Dell Streak 5
    That's a known problem with the Mobiz ROM. Vampirefo I believe is working to try and fix it. However, I do hope you followed the OTHER advice I gave in that thread and made a system dump, a nandroid backup, or both before installing the Mobiz ROM. If you did, then go back to stock and do the following:

    1. Install the Google apps using a Google apps flashable zip at Goo.im Downloads - Browsing gapps.
    2. Install the fixes I give in my signature. They will improve Play Store compatibility as well as activate the network location service (needed for Google Earth to run).
    3. Once you know everything is up and running correctly, go into ClockworkMod and do a nandroid backup.
    jmblouin thanked this.
    "Most people bake cookies. I bake motherboards."

    I do not accept PMs asking for one-on-one tech support. Ask on the forums so everyone can benefit.
    Play Store Tweaks For Stock Coby 9742 ROMs | Rooting Instructions For Coby Generation 3 Devices

  9. #8
    Member Achievements:
    500 Experience Points 3 months registered 250 Experience Points 31 days registered 100 Experience Points

    Member #
    151588
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    38
    Thanked
    6 times
    Device
    Coby mid9742 mid9740 nook color
    edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by brianpetty80 View Post
    I cannot seems to get the 9742 root method to work. I would like to install a custom ROM if possible but at this time I am more than willing to settle for just root access and then see if I can figure out the gapps. Please help!!

    Thanks so much for any feedback
    Did you ever make a system dump (even a partial without system.tgz) or a nandroid backup?
    Last edited by jmblouin; 11-21-2012 at 09:32 PM.

  10. #9
    Super Moderator
    Points: 22,264, Level: 92
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class 1 year registered 10,000 Experience Points 5,000 Experience Points Recommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Arm of Law

    Member #
    122577
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,718
    Thanked
    746 times
    Points
    22,264
    Level
    92
    Device
    Coby Kyros MID9742, Dell Streak 5
    Are you asking me or the other guy?
    "Most people bake cookies. I bake motherboards."

    I do not accept PMs asking for one-on-one tech support. Ask on the forums so everyone can benefit.
    Play Store Tweaks For Stock Coby 9742 ROMs | Rooting Instructions For Coby Generation 3 Devices

  11. #10
    Member Achievements:
    500 Experience Points 3 months registered 250 Experience Points 31 days registered 100 Experience Points

    Member #
    151588
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    38
    Thanked
    6 times
    Device
    Coby mid9742 mid9740 nook color
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveller1701 View Post
    Are you asking me or the other guy?

    The other guy
    Sorry I should have qouted.


 

Ads:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-25-2012, 01:02 AM
  2. To Root or not to Root, is that a question
    By l8asusul in forum Coby Generation 3
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-06-2012, 10:54 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-28-2012, 10:56 AM
  4. Root Coby Kryos mid 7012 root?
    By ganggreen777 in forum Coby Generation 1
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-30-2011, 02:16 PM
  5. Transformer: To root or not to root.....
    By DougP in forum Asus TF101/SL101 Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-26-2011, 09:47 AM

Search tags for this page

coby kyros mid9740 firmware update
,
coby kyros mid9740 google play
,
coby kyros mid9740 update
,
coby kyros mid9740-8 rom
,
coby mid9740 google play
,
google play on mid9740
,
mid 9740 google play
,
mid9740 firmware
,

mid9740 google play

,
mid9740 root
,

root coby kyros mid9740

,
root mid9740
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.

Tags for this Thread

Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.11
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Android Tablets.net is not affiliated or associated with Google, Android Project or any of the device manufacturers listed on this site.
We are simply an enthusiast site.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17 PM.