Register Hello & Welcome to AndroidTablets.net, is this your first visit?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree28Thanks

Thread: Looking for Help Rooting Coby MID9740

Junior Member Achievements:
    7 days registered

Member #

Looking for Help Rooting Coby MID9740

I just recently bought the new 9740-8 and would like to root it to gain access to the play store and other Google apps. I have not been successful in finding instructions or ROM's for this specific model. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Circuit advertisement

Developer
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 398
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class 10,000 Experience Points 5,000 Experience Points 1 year registered 1,000 Experience Points

Member #
    Level
    Device
    Coby 7065, Coby 8042, Coby 9740, Lenovo A2109
    Quote Originally Posted by neumanb View Post
    I just recently bought the new 9740-8 and would like to root it to gain access to the play store and other Google apps. I have not been successful in finding instructions or ROM's for this specific model. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    This version of Coby is in high demand, once you root this tablet make a dump and upload it, if you don't, you will be sorry so many users simply wont make a backup and upload it, then when trouble happens it's extremely hard repairing their tablet.

The root method for any of the coby's 8042, 7042, 9042, 9742, 1042, will work on this tablet. you need to get adb installed and working first, then follow instruction on dumping your tablet upload your dump and let one of the advanced members look it over and insure you have all 4 parts of the backup, the system being the most important, before you modify your tablet.
    Traveller1701, jmblouin and Diegom thanked this.
    If you like my work buy me a coffee!!!

Donations Appreciated

Due to the overwhelming PM's that I receive, I am unable to answer all the questions and many questions are duplicates so PLEASE post all questions on this forum so I may better help you and any others who are having the same issues.

No PM's regarding windows questions will be answered, I am a Linux Guy.

Member Achievements:
    500 Experience Points 3 months registered 250 Experience Points 31 days registered 100 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    Coby mid9742 mid9740 nook color
    Quote Originally Posted by neumanb View Post

Take your time...

Are you a windows, mac, linux user?

Have you ever used adb before?

If you use windows use this from Traveller CobyADB.zip

Follow this thread, read it and read it three or four more times READ FIRST: Development Index and Root Utility
    Rooting and Dump Utility for Windows (updated 11/21/12):
    Traveller1701 just updated the dump utility to replace busybox so that you can get a system.tgz dump (This was missing from my dump and I need it badly....)

This thread tells you what files you should have in your dump Busybox do you have the right one?
    Diegom and riponfats thanked this.

100 Experience Points 31 days registered 7 days registered

Member #
    Hi!

I recently got a Coby 9740 and I followed the threads above to root it (thanks jmblouin, vampirefo and traveller for the great help!).

Using ADB (Win 7) I also create a system dump, apparently successfully. The dump, including the system.tgz, can be found here:
    Coby 9740 Dump.zip

(I had installed a couple of apps --opera, games-, so it may no be completely stock. Sorry about that)

I did run into a problem though: I don't seem to be able to have root access from adb. when I try, for instance, to
    mount -o remount,rw /system
    I get
    mount: permission denied <are you root?>

I am now interested in installing Gapps. should I worry about the root issue first?
    vampirefo. thanked this.

Developer
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class 10,000 Experience Points 5,000 Experience Points 1 year registered 1,000 Experience Points

Member #
    Level
    Device
    Quote Originally Posted by Diegom View Post
    Hi!

I recently got a Coby 9740 and I followed the threads above to root it (thanks jmblouin, vampirefo and traveller for the great help!).

Using ADB (Win 7) I also create a system dump, apparently successfully. The dump, including the system.tgz, can be found here:
    Coby 9740 Dump.zip

(I had installed a couple of apps --opera, games-, so it may no be completely stock. Sorry about that)

I did run into a problem though: I don't seem to be able to have root access from adb. when I try, for instance, to
    I get

I am now interested in installing Gapps. should I worry about the root issue first?
    adb shell
    su

Donations Appreciated

Due to the overwhelming PM's that I receive, I am unable to answer all the questions and many questions are duplicates so PLEASE post all questions on this forum so I may better help you and any others who are having the same issues.

Developer
    Achievements:

Member #
    Level
    Device
    Hi!

Coby 9740 Dump.zip

I get

Can you recheck your system.tgz it's corrupt.

if you can

adb shell

su

busybox tar -cvzf /sdcard/dump/9740_system.tgz /system

Donations Appreciated

Member Achievements:
    500 Experience Points 3 months registered 250 Experience Points 31 days registered 100 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    Hi!

Coby 9740 Dump.zip

I get

The system was currupt for me as well. Diegom can you try reading the system.tgz with either winrar or 7zip prior to upload to see if the file is currupted before you uploaded it?

Also follow what vampirefo. said.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by vampirefo. View Post
    Can you recheck your system.tgz it's corrupt.

if you can

adb shell

su

busybox tar -cvzf /sdcard/dump/9740_system.tgz /system

I did as suggested

after a long string of files, the command ended in
    tar: error exit delayed from previous errors

the last line before that was
    system/xbin/su

I have no problem opening the system.tgz with winrar.
    In any case, I uploaded it again, on its own. this is the link
    system.tgz

Guys, would you direct me to a thread with fool-proof guidance on how to isntal Gapps, preferably without installing a custom ROM? I keep getting lost in the forum. Thanks!

let me know if there's any info from my tablet that me useful.

Member Achievements:

Member #
    Device
    I did as suggested

after a long string of files, the command ended in
    tar: error exit delayed from previous errors

the last line before that was
    system/xbin/su

I have no problem opening the system.tgz with winrar.
    In any case, I uploaded it again, on its own. this is the link
    system.tgz

Guys, would you direct me to a thread with fool-proof guidance on how to isntal Gapps, preferably without installing a custom ROM? I keep getting lost in the forum. Thanks!

let me know if there's any info from my tablet that me useful.
    I am afraid that your system.tgz is currupt. When I attempted to recover it all I can get is the system/app folder. All the apk and odex files seem to be in tact in there. For comparison reasons download this and compare that system.tgz to your own (DO NOT USE THIS FILE FOR ANY OTHER PURPOSE OTHER THAN TO COMPARE YOUR FILES WITH).
    MID9742 Dump v3.rar
    Lets make sure we get this resolved before we install anything (cwm-recovery which you should not install until we get a version meant for our tablets I'm using cwm-for 9742 but it will not boot to recovery using the 2 fingure method only using adb shell, su, reboot-recovery, gapps). Believe me you will be happy you waited.

In adb click on the top left small icon of cmd and go under edit and click mark. than drag your mouse over all the data there. Once you have all your data selected (should be white) right click your mouse and than go the forum and post a reply of all that data here by right clicking paste. Than we can see everything you can.

edit: For some reason superuser.apk must not of pushed when rooting (at least I dont see it when I look over your faulty dump). When you look under applications on your tablet do you see an app called superuser?

In adb after adb shell you get root access by typing su (kind of like logging into an administrative account in windows versus a guest.)
    Last edited by jmblouin; 11-25-2012 at 12:56 AM.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jmblouin View Post
    I am afraid that your system.tgz is currupt. When I attempted to recover it all I can get is the system/app folder. All the apk and odex files seem to be in tact in there. For comparison reasons download this and compare that system.tgz to your own (DO NOT USE THIS FILE FOR ANY OTHER PURPOSE OTHER THAN TO COMPARE YOUR FILES WITH).
    MID9742 Dump v3.rar
    Lets make sure we get this resolved before we install anything (cwm-recovery which you should not install until we get a version meant for our tablets I'm using cwm-for 9742 but it will not boot to recovery using the 2 fingure method only using adb shell, su, reboot-recovery, gapps). Believe me you will be happy you waited.

In adb click on the top left small icon of cmd and go under edit and click mark. than drag your mouse over all the data there. Once you have all your data selected (should be white) right click your mouse and than go the forum and post a reply of all that data here by right clicking paste. Than we can see everything you can.

edit: For some reason superuser.apk must not of pushed when rooting (at least I dont see it when I look over your faulty dump). When you look under applications on your tablet do you see an app called superuser?

In adb after adb shell you get root access by typing su (kind of like logging into an administrative account in windows versus a guest.)

Thanks jmblouin.

I downloaded your dump, and indeed things were very different than on my own, which only had app folder under system and nothing else. I have now created another system dump which does contain all the bin, etc, .... folders. you may find it here (please use this entire dump and do not mix the img files with the previous one, since in the meantime I did a factory reset to the tablet, so things may be a bit different between the two)
    9740_dump.rar

Yes, I did have an superuser application. and the strange thing is that also even after my factory reset I still get a superuser app straight away (!!). Is it possible?

let me know if this dump contains all the information you need. If not, I will try copying and pasting all the info I can get from adb (please be specfic about what info you need).

I'll wait for your answer before trying anything else.
    vampirefo. and jmblouin thanked this.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads: