I have the Coby 7015 also and I wanted to know if you could share your "wpa_supplicant.conf" file or post the lines you changed?
Originally Posted by Evoxten
02-06-2011 12:59 AM
How I connected my Kyros to my Android phone for on-the-road Internet
When I purchased my Coby Kyros my original intent was to be satisfied with Internet access while at home or at our store, where I have direct access to our Wifi routers. My main use was to read PDF and Excel files while on the road at work.
I read up about rooting the Kyros so I could get the full Google Market. But I wasn't planning on trying to tether my Kyros to my cell phone. After I rooted my Kyros my confidence was up so I decided to read up about how to tether using my Droid Incredible. As it turns out it was pretty easy. Here's what I did:
1. Following instructions I found on droidforums.net I successfully rooted my Droid Incredible using the unrEVOked 3.32 utility.
2. Using the Market I searched for and found a program called “Wireless Tether” and installed it on my Incredible phone.
3. I started the app and then pressed the screen that said “Press to start tethering”
4. I then started up my Kyros and went to “Settings|Wireless & Networks|Wi-Fi Settings” and then “Add Wi-Fi network”. The WAP from the phone was already on the list of available networks. I selected it and the Kyros connected.
5. I began to surf the Internet
That was it. No modifying any files on the Kyros. No shortcuts. I didn't do anything on the Kyros accept to choose the new network connection that was now available on my phone.
I'm not sure how easy it will be for others who do not have a Droid Incredible with Froyo (2.2) but I am glad to report that the Kyros is tethered to the Droid using this one little program – Wireless Tether. Of course, you do need to “root” your phone since this app requires the superuser permission. If you have a phone that you don't want to root it may not be so easy.
This is what worked for me, much easier set up than ad hoc tweaks.
My Kyros 7015 now recognizes the ad hoc network from my D1. But I not able to connect to my D1 ad hoc network. I used stock, wifi buddy, and wifi manager- all apps state that they do not support ad hac networks. Any suggestions.
I have HTC Inspire rooted Android phone with CoreDroid 5.4 ROM on it. I create a wifi-hotspot with WPA2 and am able to connect my Coby to it.