Register Hello & Welcome to AndroidTablets.net, is this your first visit?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree11Thanks

Thread: Craig CMP741e Tablet ICS 4.0.3 Review, Has Allwinner A10 CPU

Member Achievements:
    1 year registered 1,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 3 months registered 250 Experience Points

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 8125Omnimax View Post
    Which recovery are you using, the recovery im using requires you hold the volume + button down upon boot, bringing you to CWM without the need for a script.
    I've tried every combo of keys and it won't work. I'm guessing yours does? Could you point me to the version of CWM you are using? Also exactly how you are doing the keypress.
    Last edited by vdubbus77; 08-02-2012 at 05:34 PM.

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Achievements:
    7 days registered 1,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    Craig CMP741e
    Quote Originally Posted by vdubbus77
    I've tried every combo of keys and it won't work. I'm guessing yours does? Could you point me to the version of CWM you are using? Also exactly how you are doing the keypress.
    CWM Recovery 6.0.1.0 for A10 LY-F1/TREQ Tablets

Everything works except what is specified. You can do a nandroid backup, restore, wipe cache, full wipe, and even flash zips. I tried to flash cyanogenmod but the touch screen didn't work natively. The tablet uses the zet6221.ko touchscreen driver, same as in the pico devices. Haven't found a compatibility zip that works for the cmp741e yet. I have made backups of the boot.img and bootloader.img from the appropriate partitions.

Doing a nandroid restore I had initially lost use of the touch screen and wifi, but pushing back the boot.img and bootloader.img in adb I got back both functions.

7 days registered 1,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    Craig CMP741e
    Quote Originally Posted by bananas View Post
    Picked one of these up at Rite Aid today and bleh, it's horrible. Wasn't expecting a whole lot but with a gig of RAM I figured it would run relatively smoothly. The screen is not very responsive and after downloading Angry Birds and Slacker from the Amazon App Store, AB is choppy and jerky and Slacker won't run. I sign into my account, choose a radio station and get a Connecting... Buffering.... even that repeats over and over again. I'm on my home wireless and no other devices have these issues. I've reinstalled Slacker a few times with the same result. Typing is frustrating as sometimes you have to tap the letter multiple times before it actually types out in the box.

I'll keep it as a knock around tablet but it was pretty disappointing. I haven't tried Netflix yet. That's the next test. I have no idea how to root this thing so until I find out how to do that I'm stuck with it as is.

Edited to add: the speaker is total crap. At the loudest volume you can barely hear it.

Edited again: Just tried Netflix. It opened up a TV show and the play line doesn't move at all. Surfing the web works but anything I attempt to stream doesn't work. Very odd. I have multiple tablets here (Thrive 10.1, iPad 1 and 2, Kindle Fire) and tried them all with no problems. Turned the wireless off on all of them and went back to this new one and had the same issue. Terrible.
    The volume coming from the speaker is understandable, you can fix this with a program called Volume+. I find setting the peak vol at 15 does the trick to make it loud

As with any KIRF/Clone tablet, do a full system reset, out the box it seems as if it performs slower than if you do a factory reset in settings. Sometimes it makes the difference.
    krex thanked this.

Member Achievements:
    1 year registered 1,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 3 months registered 250 Experience Points

Member #
    CWM Recovery 6.0.1.0 for A10 LY-F1/TREQ Tablets

Everything works except what is specified. You can do a nandroid backup, restore, wipe cache, full wipe, and even flash zips. I tried to flash cyanogenmod but the touch screen didn't work natively. The tablet uses the zet6221.ko touchscreen driver, same as in the pico devices. Haven't found a compatibility zip that works for the cmp741e yet. I have made backups of the boot.img and bootloader.img from the appropriate partitions.

Doing a nandroid restore I had initially lost use of the touch screen and wifi, but pushing back the boot.img and bootloader.img in adb I got back both functions.

ok flashed this recovery still can't enter recovery from boot! Damn!

Member #
    Device
    Craig CMP741e
    Quote Originally Posted by vdubbus77

ok flashed this recovery still can't enter recovery from boot! Damn!
    The only stress free way is to use a terminal emulator from the play store

Make sure you're rooted

At the terminal prompt type:

su

You will see a pop up from superuser, select allow.

Copy the reboot-recovery.sh file to the root of your sdcard

When you start up the terminal type:

sh reboot-recovery.sh

You'll go right into the cwm recovery

Don't flash anything yet, I'm currently hard at work testing out and editing custom compatibility zips and attempting a cyanogenmod 9 Rom for this device. Keep an eye on the thread once I have a working zip of either. I'll provide a full instructional.

I want to make sure I have the sound, wifi, and touchscreen working before I release.

Member Achievements:

Member #
    Oh I have a million ways to boot to recovery from within android. Just getting fed up with not being able to do it with the tablet off. The way I see it if I can't boot to android I'm screwed. My craig 738b had a button combo to flash with rkupgrade. Couldn't brick the thing no matter what. I do eagerly await what you come up with, please keep bluetooth dongle support in it. That's my whole reason for wanting to be able to mess with this thing.

Member #
    Device
    Craig CMP741e
    Quote Originally Posted by vdubbus77 View Post
    Oh I have a million ways to boot to recovery from within android. Just getting fed up with not being able to do it with the tablet off. The way I see it if I can't boot to android I'm screwed. My craig 738b had a button combo to flash with rkupgrade. Couldn't brick the thing no matter what. I do eagerly await what you come up with, please keep bluetooth dongle support in it. That's my whole reason for wanting to be able to mess with this thing.
    Just giving everyone a heads up, ive been working a ton of odd shifts but have been plugging in some time creating both Cyanogenmod 9 and simultaneously testing a Cyanogenmod 10 port for the CMP741E. Things are a lil glitchy at the moment but all should fare well before the end of the week.

I will release a TWRP 2.2 based recovery for the CMP741E first with correct partition settings. I will be creating a new post for these projects. Again this tablet is still at its infancy, and many havent worked with some of the drivers / modules used in this device, so please be patient!
    Fbombz thanked this.

3 months registered 250 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 100 Experience Points 31 days registered

Member #
    Device
    Dell Streak (2.3.3), Craig CMP741e(x?)
    I have had success rooting this device and installing the Play Store using RootThat-ICS. You should ROOT theCMP741e first, you may find that when you first plug the device to your windows PC, It wont detect the needed ADB drivers automatically, you can use the driver package Drivers_AllwinnerA10_32and64.zip to resolve this issue. After using RootThat-ICS the device will reboot and once detected by your PC again, install the play store from the RootThat-ICS menu.
    Just an FYI--I'm a middle-of-the-road hacker-type who isn't an expert, but I have some experience using other folks' tools/tutorials to put Android on an old 3G iPhone, onto a few different laptops and, while Android-free, I did a lot of monkeying around with various types of Linux on my OLPC XO-1 laptop. So I'm not an idiot, but I'm not Einstein either. Don't know why I feel all that is important, but whatever. Anyway, I love cheap crap gadgets and when I saw the CMP741d get an unboxing photoset in an old XO-1 acquaintance's Flickrstream I knew I had to learn more. For any fellow NYers, I picked up my CMP741e (though it says CMP741x on the back of it) at the Rite-Aid on St. Nicholas Ave and 186th last night around 8:30pm. They had a stack of them--maybe like 15 or 20, all on sale for $100 down from $130, the cashier told me. They also had the same amount of the laptops. So, if you want 'em, go get 'em!

My experience so far has been really positive. The only disappointments have been the camera (.3 mp!) and the battery (about 5-6 hours with regular use and with wifi on)--neither are very surprising. These are usually the things that get skimped on with a crap gadget. Oh and I was expecting to find a full-size USB port on it that is not there. However, the mini USB port for powering the device will allow you to mount a hard drive or thumb drive--this made me ecstatic--not sure why.

That said, I was able to watch videos, surf the web, watch flash videos, install almost all of my favorite apps, Netflix and Plex (on the local network only--connecting through MyPlex via another network didn't work at all) both work great. At this point, I'm pretty happy with the purchase. I wanted an extra screen for watching stuff on (the speaker is crappy, but I'm not picky for the price!)

So, while it has already been worth the money, imo, I just can't leave well enough alone, so I installed a few different browsers, book readers, Pocket, a bunch of other stuff, set up my email, but kept running into the fact that the Play Store isn't installed. I was able to get around this thanks to iapktop.com but it just isn't the same as having the Play Store recognize your device and auto-download stuff to it.

So, I ran Root Check Basic-35.apk which I had laying around from messing with my Dell Streak 5 and it claimed I had root already. I installed Titanium Backup and it seemed to think I had root, too. Oh and I also haven't noticed any sluggishness, performance-wise, out of the box. I think I got lucky. Anyway, I installed the Play Store apk and while it always crashes, it always seems to come soooo close to running. I tried a few different mods of it from iapktop and none worked. Will try some more once my 24 hour limit on Rapidgator resets.

Anyway, so that's my tale, for now. Basically, I love my Craig! Android 4 is really something, especially after only getting my Streak 5 to run 2.3.3 :/ It's like going from the Millenium Falcon to the Starship Enterprise. The Falcon is great for lots of reasons, but Android 4 just seems more elegant. So, at this point, I'm just trying to get the Play Store on there and I'll be all set.

Thanks so much for this thread!! It was instrumental in me deciding to buy one of these. It's definitely no iPad, but for $100 it's a great sidekick to one.

100 Experience Points 31 days registered 7 days registered

Member #
    Device
    craig cmp741e
    anyway i can get you to help me out by posting a link or 2 for root that ics and tutorial on it, sorry newbie here this is my first android device and rooting seems to be the only way to turn this particular tablet into a useful tool, being that i dont have access to google play store and what not, any and all help would be appreciated thanks for reading. also any tools or programs that you would recommend having on my pc would be great as well again thanks to all who have posted on this its been very informative

31 days registered 7 days registered

Member #
    Device
    craig cmp741d
    I have the 741d and would also like to get Google apps installed. My problem is that on both a win 7 and Ubuntu computer adb fails to find a device id number. Rootthis on the Linux machine actually comes up with the same blank line where the id number should be but won't continue with no number. Anybody know hoe to fix this. Or what the port number would be to use the rootthis wireless option the IP address is easy to find I just don't know how to find what port number is. Thanks for any help. Or is there a way to use the root files that come with root this manually by introducing them from SD card?
    Last edited by knighteagle; 11-02-2012 at 02:09 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Ads: