I got my Le Pan a few weeks ago and really love it except for this one major problem. When I turned it on for the first time at home, it immediately found my wifi and connected. Then I took it to the coffee shop, where it connected. I brought it back home and it will no longer recognize my home wifi. I googled this problem and found it happens a lot to android OS tablets and phones. I emailed customer support and they sent back some instructions to upgrade the firmware that I am pretty sure I can't do (involves root). I also asked why the menu buttons don't light up in low light and they suggested the same firmware update. Here are the directions they sent and is it as hard as it looks? And even if I attempt the update, will it actually help my problem?
"You may try a firmware upgrade to the latest. This may help with the two problems you have.
The current version of our newest firmware is 4431. You can check your current version by going to Menu->Settings->About tablet-> Build number. Updating the firmware is completely optional and will erase and wipe out everything that is saved in the internal memory of the tablet. It is strongly suggested to back up all files and apps before performing the update. You will have to download these files onto your PC first:
Download 4431.rar from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way
1. Click "Regular Download" in blue (to the left of the green "Premium Download" button)
2. Click "Click here to start download from sendspace" in blue (above the green "Share" button)
PDF of Update instructions:
Download Update Instructions.pdf from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way
1. Download files; after download is complete, unzip all the files and put them directly onto the root of your MicroSD card. You might need to download WinRAR(trial version) or other unzipping software to extract files.
2. Insert the MicroSD card into your Le Pan tablet.
3. Download and follow the following update instructions.
When installing the firmware, the tablet must be turned off. Disconnect it from the usb charger or computer so that nothing is connected to it. Hold down the volume down button ( - ) then the power button ( | ); once the loading screen turns on let go of the power button first ( | ) then the volume down button ( - ). You can plug the charger back in once the installation screen appears.
When firmware update finishes, go to file manager and install the 6 preset apps:
Please let me know if you have any further questions.