Register Hello & Welcome to AndroidTablets.net, is this your first visit?

Junior Member Achievements:
    500 Experience Points 31 days registered 3 months registered 100 Experience Points 250 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    Le Pan 970

Le Pan arrived, but wireless router is dead!! Tether to iPhone?

Ba-ad timing. Been waiting for the Le Pan to arrive with great anticipation and a few days ago, my router died. Been fiddling ever since, trying to get it to reset so I can reconfigure. Dead, dead, dead. And now, to my huge frustration, my shiny new Le Pan has arrived and I can't get on the internet. I've got my macbook directly connected to a modem until an Airport Extreme arrives (shipped, so in a few days). In the meantime, how else can I get the tablet connected to the internet? I guess I could go to a Starbucks, but would rather play at home. I've got a 3gs iPhone. Can I tether to it? I have only dim idea of what tethering is, but have the impression I can connect to 3g through it. However, I'm worried about how much of my data allowance I'd be using with some light surfing, no dowloading of music or vids etc., just loading web pages. Any advice? Any other way of connecting the tablet to my macbook than wireless?

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Circuit advertisement

Member Achievements:
    3 months registered 250 Experience Points 31 days registered 100 Experience Points 7 days registered

Member #
    Device
    Le Pan Tablet, HTC Aria
    Quote Originally Posted by tritonx View Post
    Ba-ad timing. Been waiting for the Le Pan to arrive with great anticipation and a few days ago, my router died. Been fiddling ever since, trying to get it to reset so I can reconfigure. Dead, dead, dead. And now, to my huge frustration, my shiny new Le Pan has arrived and I can't get on the internet. I've got my macbook directly connected to a modem until an Airport Extreme arrives (shipped, so in a few days). In the meantime, how else can I get the tablet connected to the internet? I guess I could go to a Starbucks, but would rather play at home. I've got a 3gs iPhone. Can I tether to it? I have only dim idea of what tethering is, but have the impression I can connect to 3g through it. However, I'm worried about how much of my data allowance I'd be using with some light surfing, no dowloading of music or vids etc., just loading web pages. Any advice? Any other way of connecting the tablet to my macbook than wireless?
    Do some Googling on "Jailbreaking" your iPhone. How much data do you have with your carrier, by the way?

Junior Member Achievements:
    500 Experience Points 31 days registered 3 months registered 100 Experience Points 250 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    Le Pan 970
    1 gig. What will jailbreaking my phone do? (noob here, if it wasn't totally obvious.) I've always been a bit intimidating by the 'jail' part of that concept.

ETA: okay, read up on jailbreaking. Interesting read. Don't need to throw out my iPhone when I get the next version. Not sure how Canada feels about it though. Users in US seem safe as of last week. More googling coming on.
    Last edited by tritonx; 01-16-2012 at 09:42 PM.

Ads: