Register Hello & Welcome to AndroidTablets.net, is this your first visit?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Thanks Tree4Thanks

Thread: free alternative to n2a

Moderator Achievements:
    10,000 Experience Points 1 year registered 5,000 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    Nook Color (Rooted)
    Quote Originally Posted by soleil123 View Post
    Are you part of the cm7 team? Did you pay them anything? I'm guessing no (but i could be wrong in which case I apologize), most of us are freeriders and i never claimed to be different or ungrateful...

Also, from what I gathered the N2A guy is making money off of other peoples work. Apparently, he is just some random guy who created a web site and is selling those 28 steps in a single sd card. I'm certainly not giving HIM any money!!!!! In fact, since the scene seems so OK with what he is doing, I may try to make a few bucks myself on ebay and amazon... except i'll call my card "nookleus"
    No, I'm not part of the CM7 team. N2A has an excellent reputation as far as I know. They give full credit to CM7 and others on their front page. They are really only charging for the card itself and labor. My point is you asked for a free alternative to N2A and immediately criticized the one that was presented to you as too much work. As others have said, it's not very difficult at all.

I caution you to tone down the attitude. This is a friendly board and we'd like to keep it that way. Thank you for understanding.
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    NOOKColor rooted (CM7)
    Coby Kyros 7015 rooted and running custom ROM (retired)

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Achievements:
    5,000 Experience Points 1 year registered 500 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points 250 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    Huawei Ideos S7, Nook color
    Maybe I'm beating a dead horse here but the entire point of rooting and installing custom software should be a learning experience. If you have no desire to learn, then perhaps the N2A option is for you . I really don't agree with the whole N2A thing but I'm old school (just my opinion). I install custom software and highly experimental, cutting edge stuff and, sometimes, I get cut by it but by doing this, I learn. If I wanted an out of the box experience with no work, there is always the ipuke. Sorry if I sound harsh but you have access to some of the greatest people in the world here on the forums who are happy to assist you in your project. All you have to do is ask and help will be freely given but no one here will do everything for you. I am always willing to help anyone who wishes to learn. Either PM me or post here if you have that desire. Good luck to you which ever way you choose to go.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    Sue7M3 thanked this.

Alternate ATF App Tester
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    50,000 Experience Points Veteran 25,000 Experience Points 10,000 Experience Points 1 year registered

Member #
    Level
    Device
    galaxy note,galaxy 8.9 ,nook color
    Quote Originally Posted by soleil123 View Post
    Are there any free alternatives to n2a?

I am looking for a rom image that contains everything i could need (market, pre selected apps, etc..) that I would just need to download to an SD card and boot from there.

The only thing i could find was n2a but you have to pay for it. why don't free alternatives exist???? with other devices many people are happy to share their custom made roms with everyone, but for nook, everyone seems to want to go through the whole process themselves
    Do you mind Soleil if I ask you a question, personal I guess..how old are you? Because if you were really really young like 4 or 5 years old I would tell you: not everything in life is free......why? ...that's life! But we can collect few bucks famong us for you to buy your card and be happy, right guys?

gloria

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum
    Samsung Galaxy Note
    Samsung Galaxy 8.9"
    Nook Color

Life must be lived as play. (Plato)

Senior Member Achievements:
    1 year registered 500 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    Rooted NOOKcolor, HTC Aria
    Either buy it or don't buy it and do it yourself. Either way, you'll need a SD card. It's about convenience. I bought one and have no regrets about my purchase.

It's no different than buying groceries at a store versus planting your own garden and running your own farm. Convenience.

Sent from my HTC Aria using Android Tablet Forum
    NOOKcolor owner (Rooted)

Super Moderator Achievements:
    50,000 Experience Points Recommendation Second Class 25,000 Experience Points 1 year registered 10,000 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    Nook Color, Nook Tablet 16GB, Vizio VTab, Nexus 7
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesygirl View Post
    Either buy it or don't buy it and do it yourself. Either way, you'll need a SD card. It's about convenience. I bought one and have no regrets about my purchase.

It's no different than buying groceries at a store versus planting your own garden and running your own farm. Convenience.

Sent from my HTC Aria using Android Tablet Forum
    Good point but I think a better analogy would be buying ice at the store or making ice in trays.

JP
    Nexus 7
    Nook Color -
    (SD): 1. CM7 7.1.0, 2. CM7 7.0.3 Encore
    (eMMC): CM10 Nightlies
    Nook Tablet 16GB: Jelly Bean
    VTAB1008: Rooted Gingerbread

Android OS Help & How To

“Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them.” - Albert Einstein

Member #
    Device
    Nook Tablet
    Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    This doesn't take long to do -

(How To) CM7 Bootable SD

you can use any other rom (like MIUI, or latest nightly). If using MIUI you just need to rename the rom to a cm7 name and it will work fine.
    Just a Quick question,. about the [Win 32Disk Imager] What exactly does it take to get that (win 7x64). I'm currently in the process of installing Qt SDK [full] so I can use the {Win32Diskimager source} (mostly because I couldn't find another win32 disk Imager) Or am I just going down the wrong trail here?

I already have the 3 files in the guide, & I don't want to be wasting to much time.

Super Moderator Achievements:
    50,000 Experience Points Recommendation Second Class 25,000 Experience Points 1 year registered 10,000 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    Nook Color, Nook Tablet 16GB, Vizio VTab, Nexus 7
    You should be able to run win32diskimager on Win 7 x 64 (that is what I have). Just download from here https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download and unzip. Also unpack the image file you downloaded. Then right click the win32 .exe file and select run as administrator. Select the drive that is your SD card from the drop down menu and select the image file to burn.

Once the image finishes writing you need to use a partition tool to make the boot partition about 250MB then copy the CM7 and Gapps files to the boot partition. Safely eject the SD card, insert into a the powered down Nook and power up.
    Spider thanked this.
    Nexus 7
    Nook Color -
    (SD): 1. CM7 7.1.0, 2. CM7 7.0.3 Encore
    (eMMC): CM10 Nightlies
    Nook Tablet 16GB: Jelly Bean
    VTAB1008: Rooted Gingerbread

Android OS Help & How To

“Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them.” - Albert Einstein

Junior Member Achievements:
    100 Experience Points 31 days registered 7 days registered

Member #
    Device
    Nook Color
    Quote Originally Posted by moshe5368 View Post
    Maybe I'm beating a dead horse here but the entire point of rooting and installing custom software should be a learning experience. ...
    Those 28 steps make it look more forbidding than it needs to be, though.

Only the first 9 are specifically building the card.

The rest is the basic process of getting an general android system up and running, including access to Google Play.

Its an excellent set of instructions for the procedure ~ I wish I had a set of instructions that clear when I first did it ~ but breaking them up into two or three phases would make it less daunting to a first timer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Ads: