I just found an interesting update on nookDevs that shows how to skip the Out-Of-The-Box-Experience (Oobe) on the NC. What this means apparently, is that if you want to bypass the part where you register the NC at B&N, you can:
NookColor Factory Mode/Skip Oobe - nookDevs
I should emphasize that I haven't tried it, nor have I seen any accounts of other users who have. Two important questions arise:Skip Oobe (Out-of-box Experience)
- While on the Factory screen, tap power while holding Volume Up and home again. The screen again turns off for a second.
- When the screen wakes up, tap the lower right corner of the screen.
- A grey "Skip Oobe" button appears. Tap it to completely bypass the video, time zone, Wi-Fi and B&N registration process.
- Does the NC otherwise function normally if you skip registration?
- Do you lose access to built-in B&N functions (e.g., B&N bookstore)?
At this point, one problem I see that is that users who root their NC, and then want to install Google Experience apps like Gmail and Market, may not be able to because the current modification requires registering with B&N.
It's an interesting option, and something to continue monitoring!