Originally Posted by nemith @ xda
- 126.96.36.199 - Initial official release for the nook. Only supported ext3. Had bootloop errors with the 1.1.0 update. (Note: Unofficial builds supported ext4 but not both at the same time)
- 188.8.131.52 - No significant changes to 184.108.40.206 officially. (Note: Unofficial builds supported ext3 or ext4 but not both at the same time)
- 220.127.116.11 - Broken build. Blame the samsung phones for messed up additions.
- 18.104.22.168 - Adds official support for ext4 as well as compatability for ext3. (i.e. No need to swap recovery for different ROMs). Fixes "Always boots into recovery" with 1.1.0 updated u-boot.bin
- 22.214.171.124 - No significant changes from 126.96.36.199 for the nook.
- 188.8.131.52 - Sets /system to ext2. You can now backup and restore your stock roms! Delete/Update all 184.108.40.206 threads to point to 220.127.116.11 for all rom types. Rom Manager now pushes a recovery kernel as well as the ramdisk!! No need to manually install recovery kernel. Just flash the lastest from RomManager and you are done! (http://mrm3.net/nook-color-updated-c...y-bootable-sd/)
Make sure you upgrade to latest Clockworkmod RomManager!
RomManager can now push the recovery kernel. No need to manually install via CWM or ADB! Flash from RomManager and rock and roll.
Q: Why should I upgrade?
This official version of 18.104.22.168 has options to support both ext3 and ext4 ROMs which menas no more of this swapping back and forth between different versions of CWM.Q: But I already have CWM 22.214.171.124. I am good right?
This also should fix issues with the 1.1.0 version of u-boot.bin. Some with this version may experience that your NookColor will always boot back into RomManager. This is now fixed.
Q: I used RomManager to install CWM but now i can't use backup or restore
No. There has been a lot of unofficial builds of RomManager 126.96.36.199 to help users out, but they miss the additions above.
When in doubt, flash from rom manager!
I want to install it manually
Sure no problem:
Download the following files:
From either a rooted rom or clockwork recovery issue the following commands via adb (usb)
adb shell busybox remount / -o re,remount
adb shell busbbox mkdir /boot
adb shell busybox mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /boot
adb push recovery-clockwork-188.8.131.52-encore.img /boot/uRecRam
adb push kernel /boot/uRecImg
adb shell busybox umount /boot
It seems there may be an issue when installing CWM from RomManager with the kernel. Please use the instructions above to manually install the recovery kernel (required adb).Q: When I select my device there are two different entries. One for 'NookColor' and one for 'NookColor (old)'
Don't use the old one. Always use the new one. Eventually 'NookColor (old)' will go away.
I will work with koush to get this fixes asap
Sorry for the confusion. In the CM7 project we renamed the device from nookcolor
. This was done for a number of reasons but it means that there are two different "devices" for rommanager since CWM was ported before CM7 and the device name
nookcolor = NookColor (old)
encore = NookColor
The 'NookColor (old)' has known issues and will not be supported at all. DO NOT USE THIS VERSION
. No matter what ROM you are using NookColor will work correctly.
Q: This manual stuff is hard. Can't CWM just update itself?
Yes it can and it just took the right man to create the update.zip that updates CWM. Thanks to MrMuffin there is one now.
Place onto your sdcard and flash like you would a rom and reboot back into recovery! Please give MrMuffin thanks if you find this useful!
If you are wondering how you can update CWM from CMW? It's easy really. CWM is two parts: a kernel and a ramdisk. Both are fully loaded into memory which means that you can write over the the copies stored on disk from those running in memory!
TL;DR: If you use RomManager go upgrade it in RomManager NOW!