Register Hello & Welcome to AndroidTablets.net, is this your first visit?

Thanks Tree2Thanks
  • 1 Post By rico2001
  • 1 Post By J515OP

Thread: Question re: Bootable - vs installed ROM?

Member Achievements:
    500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points 3 months registered 31 days registered

Member #

Question re: Bootable - vs installed ROM?

My understanding is there are 2 types of ROM

1) Bootable ( which does not install on your Nook Color )

2) Flashing ROM to your advice - ( which you have to flash onto your device somehow - I'll pass that bridge when I'm interested in attempting this action )

My question is this

Is there any chance of my accidentally ( flashing ) installing a ROM onto my device by booting off a uSD card? Of is there some extra step that I would be a prompted to do - before any uSD card installs software onto Nook Color. I would like to eliminate the possibility of messing up the stock ROM - unknowingly if at all possible.

I'm gonna start with Nookie froyo - but I'd like to check out other ROM options that I can find via Bootable ROM.

Lastly

Besides the 2/15 "Nookie Froyo" - where can I find other bootable ROM's that I could try out?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Achievements:
    25,000 Experience Points 10,000 Experience Points 5,000 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    NOOKcolor
    Quote Originally Posted by Candlestick View Post
    My question is this

Is there any chance of my accidentally ( flashing ) installing a ROM onto my device by booting off a uSD card? No, it's impossible. Of is there some extra step that I would be a prompted to do - before any uSD card installs software onto Nook Color. I would like to eliminate the possibility of messing up the stock ROM - unknowingly if at all possible.

I'm gonna start with Nookie froyo - but I'd like to check out other ROM options that I can find via Bootable ROM.

Lastly

Besides the 2/15 "Nookie Froyo" - where can I find other bootable ROM's that I could try out? There are bootable versions of many of the rom you can run on Nook Color. You can find there here in the Nook Color Technical section.

Thanks
    See answers in red.
    I prefer to install internally myself b/c it's much faster but there is nothing wrong with running bootable roms.
    Candlestick thanked this.
    Tablet: B&N NOOKcolor @ 925 mhz
    Rom: Ultimate Droid Nook Color 3.3.0 (Gingerbread 2.3.3) ROM
    Kernel: 2.6.29-omap1

Recovery: CWM 3.2.8
    NOOKcolor LendMe Participant

NOOKcolor Owners thread
    NOOKcolor Frequently Asked Questions

Android Tablet Forum FAQ

Member Achievements:
    500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points 3 months registered 31 days registered

Member #
    Thanks,

I've been reading quite a bit over the weekend on various blogs about Rooting / Clockwork Recovery / and ROM installs. Getting a bit more comfortable with the idea.

Would you happen to know if " addictivetips " is a reputable site? They've got some easy reading articles that breaks down android concepts pretty concisely.

I found this Link pretty informative.

What Is ClockworkMod Recovery And How To Use It On Android [Complete Guide]

Before I rely on them for accurate info - I'd like a 2nd or 3rd opinion they are reliably legit.

I wasn't understanding what " CWR " was as I kept seeing the acronym as I read that through all these blogs. Makes sense to me after reading the article though.

Administrator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran 50,000 Experience Points 25,000 Experience Points Recommendation First Class Recommendation Second Class

Member #
    Level
    Device
    NOOK Tablet Stock NOOKcolor Rooted & ManualNooted Google Nexus 7 (2013) 32GB
    Windows addon Web Of Trust (WOT) gives addictivetips.com an excellent rating, so I'd say it's safe.

Senior Member Achievements:
    1,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points Tagger Second Class

Member #
    Device
    NOOK COLOR
    I dont know addictivetips.com site, but I would you suggest to read the following very interesting topics that exist into this own and which contain so useful posts concerning CWR.

How To) Installing/Using ClockworkMod, Rom manager, nandroid backup, custom kernels

(HOW TO) Uninstall Clockwork Recovery and revert to a stock image

(How To) Restore stock recovery from CWR

[Recovery] Creating a bootable CWR mSD v3.0.1.0 (ext3 & ext4 compatible
    NOOK COLOR ON CM7 Nightly 233
    Kernel :
    OCed @1.200 Mhz
    Cover Case : Tuff-LuvTri-Axis Leather Case
    Quadrant score: 3415

Junior Member Achievements:

Member #
    Device
    Nook Color
    Hey Guys and Gals this is my first post. And I need help. lol. I have create a bootable micro sdcard 8gb class 6 for the Honeycomb preview 4. I believe. It worked fine and my device is not rooted.

The problem is I have decided to reformat the sd card and just root the device. My sd card now only reads 113Mb free with no files on it. How do I get the whole sd card back and make it not bootable?

Super Moderator Achievements:
    50,000 Experience Points Recommendation Second Class 25,000 Experience Points 1 year registered 10,000 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    Nook Color, Nook Tablet 16GB, Vizio VTab, Nexus 7
    Quote Originally Posted by wiineedmore View Post
    Hey Guys and Gals this is my first post. And I need help. lol. I have create a bootable micro sdcard 8gb class 6 for the Honeycomb preview 4. I believe. It worked fine and my device is not rooted.

The problem is I have decided to reformat the sd card and just root the device. My sd card now only reads 113Mb free with no files on it. How do I get the whole sd card back and make it not bootable?
    Take the card out of the nook and boot into the normal nook OS. Once booted install the card. Then go to settings and format the SD card. This will set everyting back to normal plus install a few default nook files for you.
    kashif977 thanked this.
    Nexus 7
    Nook Color -
    (SD): 1. CM7 7.1.0, 2. CM7 7.0.3 Encore
    (eMMC): CM10 Nightlies
    Nook Tablet 16GB: Jelly Bean
    VTAB1008: Rooted Gingerbread

Android OS Help & How To

“Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them.” - Albert Einstein

Moderator Achievements:
    1 year registered 500 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points 5,000 Experience Points 250 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    NOOKcolor on CM7 nightly w/ 1.1gHz OC
    Quote Originally Posted by Candlestick View Post
    Thanks,

I've been reading quite a bit over the weekend on various blogs about Rooting / Clockwork Recovery / and ROM installs. Getting a bit more comfortable with the idea.

Would you happen to know if " addictivetips " is a reputable site? They've got some easy reading articles that breaks down android concepts pretty concisely.

I found this Link pretty informative.

What Is ClockworkMod Recovery And How To Use It On Android [Complete Guide]

Before I rely on them for accurate info - I'd like a 2nd or 3rd opinion they are reliably legit.

I wasn't understanding what " CWR " was as I kept seeing the acronym as I read that through all these blogs. Makes sense to me after reading the article though.
    Admittedly, I did not READ the whole article but I skimmed it fairly well and it reads like a VERY good write-up for GENERAL Clockwork usage. With that as a basis, read over the other articles here listed above about how CWR interacts with a Nook Color (cause that is the kicker - CWR is generic software that works well with many devices and each have some quircks to be aware of).
    FYI: Real life is really cracking down on me lately, if you need something please PM me here and I will reply asap. Hope to be back in full swing soon.

[LEFT][B][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]So You Bought a NOOKcolor, Now What? - aka The Complete Idiots Guide to their first day with a NOOKcolor
    [Step-by-Step] Installing-Updating-Removing CM7

NC @ 1.1 Ghz [CM7 nightly] mine
    NC @ 1.1 Ghz [autonooter 1.0.1] wife
    T-Mobile G1 flying on CM6.1

Junior Member Achievements:

Member #
    Device
    Nook Color
    Quote Originally Posted by J515OP View Post
    Take the card out of the nook and boot into the normal nook OS. Once booted install the card. Then go to settings and format the SD card. This will set everyting back to normal plus install a few default nook files for you.
    I went the long way and got it but, thank you. Also, awhile back I read somewhere that you shouldn't reformat from the nook itself.

Super Moderator Achievements:
    50,000 Experience Points Recommendation Second Class 25,000 Experience Points 1 year registered 10,000 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    Nook Color, Nook Tablet 16GB, Vizio VTab, Nexus 7
    Quote Originally Posted by wiineedmore View Post
    I went the long way and got it but, thank you. Also, awhile back I read somewhere that you shouldn't reformat from the nook itself.
    That was only for a specific ROM, which I don't recall now if that issues has been fixed with that ROM or not. Since you were booting off the SD card and still had a stock Nook to boot into you were free to format in the Nook. If you are rooting using autonooter you may also use the nook to format the card which is a handy little trick.

JP
    Nexus 7
    Nook Color -
    (SD): 1. CM7 7.1.0, 2. CM7 7.0.3 Encore
    (eMMC): CM10 Nightlies
    Nook Tablet 16GB: Jelly Bean
    VTAB1008: Rooted Gingerbread

Android OS Help & How To

“Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them.” - Albert Einstein

Ads: