Register Hello & Welcome to AndroidTablets.net, is this your first visit?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Thanks Tree2Thanks

Thread: Problems with Adobe Reader

Senior Member Achievements:
    1 year registered 500 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    None - yet

Problems with Adobe Reader

I subscribe to the Orange County Register's online version. It's big, the PDF files are about 180mb. I attempted to use Adobe Reader and it is extremely slow. It can take a couple minutes to switch pages. Most of the time it will hang and I'll get an error box asking if I want to force close or wait.

Is there anything I can do to improve performance? Should I switch to another PDF reader?

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Circuit advertisement

Super Moderator Achievements:
    50,000 Experience Points Recommendation Second Class 25,000 Experience Points 1 year registered 10,000 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    Nook Color, Nook Tablet 16GB, Vizio VTab, Nexus 7
    Are you using the Adobe PDF Reader from the market? Other versions don't work as well. If you are already using that then yes the best option is to use other readers which many would suggest even if Adobe was fast enough for you.
    Nexus 7
    Nook Color -
    (SD): 1. CM7 7.1.0, 2. CM7 7.0.3 Encore
    (eMMC): CM10 Nightlies
    Nook Tablet 16GB: Jelly Bean
    VTAB1008: Rooted Gingerbread

Android OS Help & How To

“Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them.” - Albert Einstein

Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 165
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5,000 Experience Points 1 year registered 500 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points 250 Experience Points

Member #
    Level
    Device
    Nook Color CM7n, HTC Aria CM7 RC1, Cr-48 Test Pilot,
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootstrap Bill View Post
    I subscribe to the Orange County Register's online version. It's big, the PDF files are about 180mb. I attempted to use Adobe Reader and it is extremely slow. It can take a couple minutes to switch pages. Most of the time it will hang and I'll get an error box asking if I want to force close or wait.

Is there anything I can do to improve performance? Should I switch to another PDF reader?
    For the record Adobe finds another 'critical' flaw in Flash, Steve Jobs smiles smugly -- Engadget

Switch to another PDF reader or alternately convert with calibre - E-book management it is a must have application fo rNC owners who wish to view convert multiple file formats.

If you have subscriptions pdf/rss etc it will automagically convert them. With Dropbox in concert with any of the epub readers you can access them anywhere or have them exported to a synced folder. Takes a bit to set it up but once you do it's pretty much the shiznit.

Here is a primer for Calibre Lifehacker, tips and downloads for getting things done

Here are some Dropbox tips The Cleverest Ways To Use Dropbox That You’re Not Using | Lifehacker Australia

And here is a step by step for backing up all that data efficiently Thursday Tips & Tricks ~ Backing Up Your Books « Kindle Talk « KindleVixen.com

Also works a dream with the Kindle app(TeeHee) Just set your Kindle content folder to the same folder as the Calibre output and make sure both of them are in Dropbox,

Bob's yer Uncle.....
    NookColor- CM7 @1.3ghz,
    HTC Aria-CM7

Member Achievements:
    500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points 3 months registered 31 days registered

Member #
    I think you should try EZpdf reader. Haven't tried it - but it's cheap - and the Youtube video looks like it's a keeper.

If you D/L it - and like it - post a review for us here on Nook Color. If I had the device right now - I'd do it myself. I'm still navel gazing - hoping Ebay has another Sale pm Nook Colors for $50 bucks off so I can grab one on the cheap.
    rico2001 and Bootstrap Bill thanked this.

1 year registered 500 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    None - yet
    Quote Originally Posted by Candlestick View Post
    I think you should try EZpdf reader. Haven't tried it - but it's cheap - and the Youtube video looks like it's a keeper.

If you D/L it - and like it - post a review for us here on Nook Color. If I had the device right now - I'd do it myself. I'm still navel gazing - hoping Ebay has another Sale pm Nook Colors for $50 bucks off so I can grab one on the cheap.

Thanks for the tip. It's not perfect, but it's much faster than Adobe's. I'll post more when I have a few minutes to play with it.

Junior Member Achievements:
    250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points 3 months registered Tagger Second Class 31 days registered

Member #
    Device
    Nook Color
    Hey. I bought a nook color to access my library of medical texts and I'm having a bear of a time getting exactly what I want. Right now I'm using adobe reader (free), quickoffice (the $14 HD version), easyPDF reader ($0.99), and Aldiko ($2.99). Many of my books are quite large (up over 100mb range like yours) and, although it takes a while to initially load with these programs, page turning isn't too big of an issue. I honestly think that the easyPDF reader is the best of the bunch - quickoffice was supposed to be able to highlight pdfs but I've yet to get this to work.

However, my big issue is that I have to read all my books from my SD card - when I load them onto my nook's HDD none of the programs can even find the books!! Perhaps some of you cats know how to do this?

Member Achievements:
    500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points 3 months registered 31 days registered

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by brensema View Post

However, my big issue is that I have to read all my books from my SD card - when I load them onto my nook's HDD none of the programs can even find the books!! Perhaps some of you cats know how to do this?
    Are you using a uSD bootable ROM - or is your ROM on your eMMC?

Junior Member Achievements:
    250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points 3 months registered Tagger Second Class 31 days registered

Member #
    Device
    Nook Color
    Quote Originally Posted by Candlestick View Post
    Are you using a uSD bootable ROM - or is your ROM on your eMMC?
    I'm not sure what the difference is between these - did a quick google search and I'm no less stupid on the matter...

Maybe a bit of history would help...
    After rooting, I used my nook to reformat my SD card to remove all partitions so that I could utilize the entire 2GB. Then, I connected my nook to my computer and tried loading books onto both the SD card and the HDD on the nook. Thanks and I'll keep looking up this stuff when I'm not in class.

Super Moderator Achievements:
    50,000 Experience Points Recommendation Second Class 25,000 Experience Points 1 year registered 10,000 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    Nook Color, Nook Tablet 16GB, Vizio VTab, Nexus 7
    Candlestick just meant are you using a bootable micro sd card that allows you to run your OS by inserting the card and then powering on or have you put the OS on the internal memory (eMMC) so that you can get into the OS even if you don't have an SD card inserted.

Since you reformatted the card in the nook, you can't be booting from the card and must have flashed your ROM onto eMMC. There have been issues in the past where certain applications couldn't see the files either on the internal memory or the card at first but I think a couple of people here can let you know which readers can see what locations and how to direct them to the files you want.
    Nexus 7
    Nook Color -
    (SD): 1. CM7 7.1.0, 2. CM7 7.0.3 Encore
    (eMMC): CM10 Nightlies
    Nook Tablet 16GB: Jelly Bean
    VTAB1008: Rooted Gingerbread

Android OS Help & How To

“Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them.” - Albert Einstein

Member #
    Device
    Nook Color
    I will second the use of Calibre. I absolutely love it. Here is the link to the site again:

calibre - About

If you convert the books to epub, then you can host them on this site:

Sign in : Bookworm ePub reader

Right now they only allow you to upload the epub formatted books, but if you access the website on your nook, you can then download the books to your nook. I just use one of the file managers to move the book to the correct folder, and then you have them w/o plugging the nook up to the pc.

There is also a web based file converter that I use when I am in a hurry, it allows you to pick the nook color as a format.

http://ebook.online-convert.com/convert-to-epub
    Last edited by chris30673; 04-14-2011 at 10:22 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads: