Register Hello & Welcome to AndroidTablets.net, is this your first visit?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Junior Member Achievements:
    500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points 3 months registered 31 days registered

Member #

android tablet vs nook

I'm and extreme newby here and wondering if someone can enlighten me. Is the nook just an e-reader with wifi internet or is it a tablet with app functionality as well?

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Circuit advertisement

Administrator Achievements:
    50,000 Experience Points 25,000 Experience Points 10,000 Experience Points 5,000 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    HTC Thunderbolt, ViewSonic GTab, Huawei S7, Gentouch 78
    a nook is an ereader with limited functionality. you can get a tablet for the same price, download Borders eReader software to it and have a much better option IMHO
    Peter B. - email: tardis@androidtablets.net | Twitter: pbbrauer | Google+: pbbrauer | gTalk: pbbrauer@gmail.com
    Current Devices, ROMs:
    (Active) VZW Samsung Galaxy Nexus- Rooted, Android ICS 4.0.2 | ASUS Transformer Prime TF201- Rooted, Unlocked, Virtuous Prime-9.4.2.15 v1 ROM
    (Retired) Viewsonic gTab - Rooted, Flashback 10.3 (Honeycomb) | Huawei S7 - Rooted, Froyo Fusion R2 | (Other) Nook Color (2 of these) | Gentouch 7/8 - Rooted, Lincrackers Pirate 3

Remember to "Thank" people that help you out! |Click here for general Questions?

Veteran 1,000 Experience Points 1 year registered 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points

Member #
    The Nook is a purpose-built device and excels at that purpose. I have a Nook and the e-ink display combined with the long battery life are great when traveling or sitting outdoors. Very easy on the eyes, it really is about the same as reading a paper book. It does have a web browser built into it, and a couple of simple games too, but it's painful to use for anything but reading. That's actually why I'm here, as I'm looking for something that I can use to check email and surf the internet while sitting in front of the TV during the evenings.

Member Achievements:
    500 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points 250 Experience Points Tagger Second Class 100 Experience Points

Member #
    There are a couple of 7" tablets as the Cruz Reader and Cruz Tablet, archos, Huawei....Where you can download a reader as Borders or Kindle and have access to the web and other applications...Price can range from $200 and up depending on what you want

500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points 3 months registered 31 days registered

Member #
    I was wondering if this 7'' Google Android Pad WiFi Touch Camera ePad aPad GPad - eBay (item 230540935930 end time Nov-19-10 22:08:17 PST) will be able to play games... i am sorry for posting it in here, but i saw this as one of the most relevant and recently replied to posts. I am just looking for something to surf the web, be able to read books, and also comic books.
    I am not worried about battery life or anything like that, just wanting to know if anyone else has gotten one of these from china and been happy with it.

Member Achievements:

Member #
    i'm affraid that you get what you payfor or sometimes alot less..the above tablet is running android 1.6..it may not play movies, it may or maynot get wifi..With sears selling tablets for 149 and kmart too..why not buy from a store where you can return it..Please remember, the android system was made for cell phone, and adapted to tablets..sometimes crudely..If you buy from China, your putting alot of faith in a saleman youve never met.Alot of tablet adds are inflated advertising..The cruz reader is a good start, I like the Cruz tablet.. It plays videos, has good battery life, will do kindle akido music and simple games..nice on a plane trip..An Honest 6hr battery life..some chinese tablets are 3-4 hours..even300.00 ones..Walgreens.com had a tablet for 99.00..if you don't like it, its an easy return

Member #
    Device
    Samsung Galaxy Tablet
    Thats true you do get what you pay for. coming in to this with the Samsung Galaxy tab I have the Kindel app and the Aldiko app. Both display very well and are readable in the sun. I prefer the shade myself I haven't tryed the Boarders app so I'll try that one next.

The battery in the Tablet last all day so far as I've found.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Samsung Galaxy Tablet Owner (Verizon)
    App in the Market - "Wall Ballz"
    Online wine Store as well. http://www.monarchwines.com
    Cheers

Member #
    For support for library books (adobe digital editions DRM epub stuff), check out the Pocket Edge dual screen tablet, too.
    It has an e-ink side for e-reading and note taking, and an LCD side with regular android stuff (still 1.6,
    in the process of being updated to 2.2). You can put the kindle and nook apps on it, too, as well as aldiko.

Although I read that perhaps Aldiko might support DRM protected ebooks, too, in the future.

So far I like it, but I wish it cost less ($360 on amazon), and also I find the e-ink side unnecessary, but I like having a built-in
    stylus for note-taking, annotations.

Member #
    I am also a newbey in this tablet area and was looking at getting the nook but i want more than just an e reader and i dont want to cough up the money for and i pad and i really like the android operating system and was wondering if the cruz e reader that is on sale at best buy during black friday would run all of the android apps and games? or at leas the ones that dont require 3G but the ones that use wifi. I was also just wondering if the cruz e reader was a good beginner tablet in general and what other android tablets are out there right now that aren't super expensive not including he new samsung one.

Member Achievements:

Member #
    for the 149 the cruz reader is a good starting place (see a software update at slate droid "macho cruz)..It has no 3d and that limits alot of games...At 249 the nook color looks good too..but i dont know about 3d....the cruz have excellent battery life,, which most imports do not,,buy a 4 gig microsd card with adapter.. download the angrybid file from the web...and a movie if you have one..Go to barnes and noble..try there tester.insert the card...try the movie and install angry birds...it wont even install on the cruz...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ads: