Register Hello & Welcome to AndroidTablets.net, is this your first visit?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Junior Member Achievements:
    500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points 3 months registered 31 days registered

Member #
    Device
    Nook Color

Nook and Etextbooks

Part of my reasoning of purchasing the NC was to download my e textbooks onto it. I purchased them through B&N and have just found out that the books are not to be viewed on the NC. I tried again after rooting it and the books still will not load, this is a serious bummer. Do you think there is any sort of alternate e reading software that would work?
    NC Rooted

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Achievements:
    25,000 Experience Points 10,000 Experience Points 5,000 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    NOOKcolor
    What format (.extention) are these etextbooks in?
    Tablet: B&N NOOKcolor @ 925 mhz
    Rom: Ultimate Droid Nook Color 3.3.0 (Gingerbread 2.3.3) ROM
    Kernel: 2.6.29-omap1

Recovery: CWM 3.2.8
    NOOKcolor LendMe Participant

NOOKcolor Owners thread
    NOOKcolor Frequently Asked Questions

Android Tablet Forum FAQ

500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points 3 months registered 31 days registered

Member #
    Device
    Nook Color
    There is no way for me to specifically find out, I tried right clicking and no properties box comes up and I checked on the BN website and it does not say either. The textbooks are supported by Adobe Acrobat so I am guessing a file type compatible with it. I also did a file search on my computer and viewed the files on my NC and was not able to locate the extension. Sorry, that does not make it any easier.
    NC Rooted

25,000 Experience Points 10,000 Experience Points 5,000 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    NOOKcolor
    Quote Originally Posted by tjbus View Post
    There is no way for me to specifically find out, I tried right clicking and no properties box comes up and I checked on the BN website and it does not say either. The textbooks are supported by Adobe Acrobat so I am guessing a file type compatible with it. I also did a file search on my computer and viewed the files on my NC and was not able to locate the extension. Sorry, that does not make it any easier.
    Your comment sort of confirms what I've found so far. It looks like a majority of all etextbooks are in .pdf format (Adobe). Apparently the NOOK, (not NC) has .pdf support but some say it's stretchy at best. Since you are using a rooted NC, download and install "Adobe reader" from the Android market and/or convert your etextbook pdfs to .epub using Calibre, and load them to SD card or internal NC storage. If in epub format, the NC's default reader will be able to open the textbooks. Let us know if that helps.

NOOKcolor Owners thread

Android Tablet Forum FAQ

Member Achievements:
    500 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points 3 months registered

Member #
    Device
    nook color, huawei IDEOS, Pandigital Novel
    Quote Originally Posted by rico2001 View Post
    Your comment sort of confirms what I've found so far. It looks like a majority of all etextbooks are in .pdf format (Adobe). Apparently the NOOK, (not NC) has .pdf support but some say it's stretchy at best.
    NC supports PDF OOTB with quickoffice. It's poor support, but it exists, rooted or not.

Since you are using a rooted NC, download and install "Adobe reader" from the Android market
    As you know, Adobe reader only supports reading from the external sd card. So if the textbooks are on the internal, that won't work well. There are lots of other options. ezpdf is pretty good.

and/or convert your etextbook pdfs to .epub using Calibre, and load them to SD card or internal NC storage. If in epub format, the NC's default reader will be able to open the textbooks. Let us know if that helps.
    I purchased them through B&N and have just found out that the books are not to be viewed on the NC
    Most textbooks are DRM'ed (protected). Are these textbooks you bought DRM'ed ? Can you download them again from BN and read them on a computer ? (although I own a nook, never bought any books from BN :-O ) Usually you have to download and register adobe digital editions to read your purchased material. If your texts are protected with adept, see this thread for how to read them on the nook:Adobe Forums: Compatible with Nook Color?. Otherwise, you really should be able to open a plain pdf.
    Last edited by thel8elvis; 01-09-2011 at 09:42 AM.

Member #
    Device
    Nook Color
    The books are protected, I can install them on two computers and have already put them on one computer. I will check out the other forum and see what I can figure out, will keep you posted.
    NC Rooted

Member Achievements:
    500 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points 3 months registered

Member #
    Device
    The books are protected
    Your other option is to strip the DRM off. I can attest this works fine for epub. I've not tried for PDF, but it should work the same.

i♥cabbages: Circumventing Adobe ADEPT DRM for EPUB

Member #
    Device
    NOOKcolor
    So you can't move the books to another location? If you could, pass me one of these books, I'll get the NC to read it.

NOOKcolor Owners thread

Android Tablet Forum FAQ

Member #
    Device
    Nook Color
    I downloaded Calibre and tried to convert but because of the DRM protection it will not convert from pdf to epub. I put the pdf files on an sd card and placed it in my reader using the adobe reader I got from the Marketplace and got an error message saying the version of reader could not support the file and the textbook did not open. Gah! This is annoying. Rico, I will send you a PM with the pdf file of one of the books. It would be awesome if you could work some magic. Thanks for everything so far, I am learning a lot!
    NC Rooted

Member Achievements:

Member #
    Device
    You have to use adobe digital editions to transfer the pdf to your nook. Or strip the DRM off by recovering your encryption key and decrypting the file using the tools outlined in the post I linked to. I can just about guarantee you those are your only 2 options.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ads: