Register Hello & Welcome to AndroidTablets.net, is this your first visit?

Thanks Tree1Thanks
  • 1 Post By leeshor

Thread: Using a 3G dongle

Member Achievements:
    1 year registered 1,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 3 months registered 250 Experience Points

Member #

Using a 3G dongle

I got the unlocking codes for a 3G dongle I had for an old contranct so I'm free to use the sim from my Galaxy SII that has an all-you-can-eat data plan, but I'm not sure How I would use it for voice calls if there happened to be incoming calls while it was connected to the Onda? Do I have to install some sort of SoftPhone app?

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Circuit advertisement

Super Moderator
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 307
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation First Class 10,000 Experience Points Recommendation Second Class 1 year registered 5,000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster

Member #
    Level
    Device
    Transformer Prime & TF700
    I'm thinking you may have a problem. If your Onda wasn't designed for 3G, (take a SIM card) to start with that would be your first problem but I have not seen any way to use a SIM card in a tablet that would accept it for anything more than data. Tablets weren't designed to be a phone or to ba bale to be used for voice calls unless it was software based, like Skype or Google voice.

With that said you could go to the Google Store and search for SIP, which is basically a soft phone to see what you come up with based on your location.
    leftygt thanked this.
    Locked out of your Tablet? - Printing from an Android tablet (or phone) - Connecting to the Internet with no WiFi - Move/copy/cut/paste files to and from your tablet - WiFi connection issues - Getting Flash Player
    TF201 & TF700 (stock) with dock, .

Member #
    Device
    Onda Vi40
    Having similar diffs myself. Having done a bit of research on this, Onda sell what I assume is an Android dongle (unlocked) which they say will work with the Vi40. Similar ones on Amazon are about 30 so going to order one up and see what happens. The other option is Mifi which I believe is a good alternative but more expensive.

Member #
    Device
    Onda Vi40 elite V3
    I have just received a Huawei 3G modem - E367. When connecting it to the USB port of the Vi40e at V1.2rcOTA tablet it will properly connect to a 3G network and I can properly use the internet.
    I did not succeed to use it as a phone as the PHONE and CONTACTS applications are not available on the tablet.
    I am not sure about it, but I think that those applications where available on the V0.6 firmware.

Member Achievements:
    1 year registered 1,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 3 months registered 250 Experience Points

Member #
    Any update on this lads? I unlocked my 3g dongle to take any network and have it working with my laptop once I downloaded the Huawei mobile partner - but I'm assuming I would need a similar program for it to work with the Vi40 Elite? not concerned about the softphone bit - just want it for mobile internet.

Super Moderator
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 307
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation First Class 10,000 Experience Points Recommendation Second Class 1 year registered 5,000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster

Member #
    Level
    Device
    Transformer Prime & TF700
    Quote Originally Posted by leftygt View Post
    Any update on this lads? I unlocked my 3g dongle to take any network and have it working with my laptop once I downloaded the Huawei mobile partner - but I'm assuming I would need a similar program for it to work with the Vi40 Elite? not concerned about the softphone bit - just want it for mobile internet.
    So few 3G dongles work on Android your best bet would be to check with the WEB site for Huawei to see what they have to say about compatibility.
    Locked out of your Tablet? - Printing from an Android tablet (or phone) - Connecting to the Internet with no WiFi - Move/copy/cut/paste files to and from your tablet - WiFi connection issues - Getting Flash Player
    TF201 & TF700 (stock) with dock, .

Member Achievements:

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by leeshor View Post
    So few 3G dongles work on Android your best bet would be to check with the WEB site for Huawei to see what they have to say about compatibility.
    Cant find a thing about connecting it to an Onda Leeshor, iis a Huawei E180 - have you any knowledge of them?

Ads: