Register Hello & Welcome to AndroidTablets.net, is this your first visit?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Thanks Tree2Thanks

Thread: What version of Android is on my PDN?

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1,000 Experience Points Tagger Second Class 500 Experience Points 3 months registered

Member #
    Level
    Device
    ASUS TF700T / Nexus 7 / A100 / Lenovo A2109 / Acer A500

What version of Android is on my PDN?

I just got a refurb 7" PDN (branded as Panimage Novel) at Big Lots. The box just says Android OS (no version), but the Big Lots sticker said 2.0. However, the manual says 1.5. My only other Android is an Acer A500 with 3.2, so I don't know what to look for. The About screen says:
    Kernel version - 2.6.27 PDUI@ANDROID
    Firmware version - S64N_SLST_OP15_PD_2011_03_01_A
    Model (on box & device sticker) - RR7T20WBL1
    I would sure like to use the Market like I do on my Acer, but I 1.5 doesn't support the Market.

So, what do I have, and how much trouble would it be to get it to something better.

- Conrad

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Circuit advertisement

Member Achievements:
    1 year registered 1,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 3 months registered 250 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    Sero 7 Pro/Nook Color/WPDN
    What color is it? Generally speaking, if it's white it's 2.0, if it's black it's 1.5. I'm suspecting you have the black one.
    Hisense Sero 7 Pro
    XE-Sero7ROM US (w/ TabletUI) v. [P756.6.02.11.00]

Member #
    Device
    Pandigital Novel Black 1.5
    I just got off the phone with Pandigital support and confirmed that the Black Pandigital Novel with the model number of RR7T20WBL1 has Android 1.5.
    The Big Lots ad (and other places) have mistakenly listed the OS as 2.0.
    The tech said that the people upstairs are aware of the problem and misprint in the ads.

I've been futzing with the device most of the weekend and thought I was nuts because it wouldn't run what I wanted it to....LOL!
    Now to decide if I should return it or try to upgrade to 2.0.
    Any thoughts??

Since there are a couple of threads about this question, could someone please post this information somewhere where lots of people can find the answer quickly??

Thanks.

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1,000 Experience Points Tagger Second Class 500 Experience Points 3 months registered

Member #
    Level
    Device
    ASUS TF700T / Nexus 7 / A100 / Lenovo A2109 / Acer A500
    Quote Originally Posted by MISRy View Post
    What color is it? Generally speaking, if it's white it's 2.0, if it's black it's 1.5. I'm suspecting you have the black one.
    It is black, and apparently has 1.5. I'm getting it (and maybe more) for my wife and grandkids. It doesn't have to do a lot, and I don't want to spend too much time upgrading it. What does 2.0 have that isn't available on 1.5? Can I get the upgrade from PanDigital, or do I have to mod it myself?
    - Conrad

Member #
    Device
    RR7T20WBL1
    I have the same model I bought at XS Cargo here in Canada, it does not appear to have a Canadian firmware though as it lists the B&N app. It is definitely running Android 1.5 as the kernel is listed as 2.6.27, I have not found any info on updating this to android 1.6, nor have I been able to update the device as I cannot find this model using the Pandigital Novel Upgrader app for the PC that is needed to update it. Has anyone else had any more luck with this model?

Member #
    Device
    Asus Transformer, HP Touchpad and Panimage 7"
    I've got the same tablet, just got it this evening. Been looking about how to update/get flash going on this thing. So far I've been going off of the official updates from Pandigital. I used their PC update tool and the automatic finder couldn't locate my model's update. However I did notice that where it says search by model, and there's a drop-down, I it lists two operating systems for it. Both contain the model number, but are preceded by something else. Look for 7T20WBL1 in the middle of some DO number. I've installed OP1 without a hitch. That version says 2.6.27 which means that I just re-imaged to the one that came on it. I'm going to do OS2 now and I'll tell you how it goes.

If anyone knows how to get flash on one of these, please post. I'll keep searching/trying and will update with my success/failure later on.

Edit 1: OP1 is dated 20110601 and OP2 is dated 2010. I'm hoping it's an error (it's numbered 2 dammit!) but I don't have my hopes up. Will install anyway just to see what version it is.

Edit 2: Didn't let me install. :/
    Last edited by holytoledo; 12-17-2011 at 08:19 PM.

Member #
    Device
    Asus Transformer, HP Touchpad and Panimage 7"
    I got Youtube Working from this list. Apps that work on the Big Lots 7" Novel

T
    hat's a pretty good resource. Still wanting to get full flash on this for justin.tv though.

So, simple enough. Download this: http://www.mediafire.com/?dg92yeaazbjl4yh to your tablet. It downloaded it as a text file for me, but I just renamed it to .apk using the File Explorer that came pre-loaded on the PDN. I've now got justin.tv working smoothly and I'm happy that I'm able to better use what was once a 70 dollar paperweight If the link dies, the app is Skyfire 2.0.1 beta. That's the version that was made for Android Cupcake (1.5) and it still works!
    Last edited by holytoledo; 12-17-2011 at 10:11 PM.
    adamgfromtexas thanked this.

Junior Member Achievements:
    7 days registered

Member #
    Device
    BPDN
    I have the same BPDN. I have spent all weekend Downloading updates, trying the platform upgrader from Pandigital, trying the videos on youtube that show you how to make it an android tablet.

All I really want to do is get it to where my daughter can access YOUTUBE. I looked on the list above and found nothing even remotely tied to youtube. Can you tell me how you got youtube to work " from this list?" Or do I need to Download the mediafire to make it work? I am getting totally frustrated with the whole process.

500 Experience Points 3 months registered 250 Experience Points 31 days registered 100 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    Pandigital Noval 7" black
    the thread Apps that work on the Big Lots 7" Novel does have a link to a YouTube app that will work on the black 7" Novel. You may have to scroll down to find it, but it is there. You can view videos directly from the YouTube app or use a browser. I like Opera and was able to watch youtube videos on it once the youtube app was installed.
    adamgfromtexas thanked this.

7 days registered

Member #
    Device
    BPDN

Thumbs up You guys are great !!

I guess I wasnt scrolling down enough. I found the youtube app, the opera, paint and notes. They all work great. THANKS CERASTAZ.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads: