Register Hello & Welcome to AndroidTablets.net, is this your first visit?

Junior Member Achievements:
    250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points 3 months registered 31 days registered 7 days registered

Member #

Using Galaxy Tab to get position from GPS on cached satellite images, while offline

Hello everybody, I'm considering buying a Galaxy Tab. I'd like to know if it is possible to use it to show the current position from GPS in real time on Google sattelite images - while offline.

I would of course have the area where I plan to go cached before. I do not plan to use road or "digital" maps, only sattelite images of the area. Once there I would expect to get and track my position on the sattelite map (image) in real time, and have full zoom available. There is absolutely no internet of any kind in those areas, so I would start and run the navigation app offline, only based on cached images. Would there be any problem doing this ?

Thanks for your opinions.
    Last edited by C3P0; 05-08-2011 at 04:00 AM.

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Circuit advertisement

Member Achievements:
    1 year registered 1,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    aNDROID On hD2
    Quote Originally Posted by C3P0 View Post
    Hello everybody, I'm considering buying a Galaxy Tab. I'd like to know if it is possible to use it to show the current position from GPS in real time on Google sattelite images - while offline.

I would of course have the area where I plan to go cached before. I do not plan to use road or "digital" maps, only sattelite images of the area. Once there I would expect to get and track my position on the sattelite map (image) in real time, and have full zoom available. There is absolutely no internet of any kind in those areas, so I would start and run the navigation app offline, only based on cached images. Would there be any problem doing this ?

Thanks for your opinions.
    not sure
    but you can easily test it before hand
    why not try it it the area you are now
    then put phone in airplane mode and see if you can retreve it

250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points 3 months registered 31 days registered 7 days registered

Member #
    Well like I said, I have not bought it yet. The answers to this thread will be a deciding factor whether I buy it or not.

100 Experience Points 3 months registered 31 days registered 7 days registered

Member #
    Device
    Samsang Galaxy Tab 10.1
    Google Maps has offline caching so as long as you download the map you should be fine. The GPS will work fine without an Internet connection.

Member #
    Thanks, is downloading the map done simply by viewing the area in question at the desired zoom level (maximum) and thus it stays cached until cleared ? Or is there another procedure for "downloading" a specific area or region ?

Also I read somewhere that Google Maps can be run offline but needs to be started online. I plan to power off and then on the tablet multiple times - or at least leave it on stand-by if it has this option - while offline (no connection available, over several days), so I wonder if the application would still start and run well ?
    Last edited by C3P0; 05-08-2011 at 11:31 AM.

Senior Member Achievements:
    5,000 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    Nook Color
    There's a Market app called Copilot that works with Android 2.2, you chose the region you want to download ($4.99 for all USA) to your tablet. So as long as your GPS is working- no need for wi-fi or data connection on your tablet.

EDIT- Just noticed your location, Copilot also has maps for Europe.
    Last edited by robdroid; 05-11-2011 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Noticed OP's location!
    Rooted Nook Color- Ultimate Droid @ 925Mhz (*****) Keeper!
    Acer A500 rooted! (*****) Keeper!
    Craig CMP 738a (for $70 it's good enough!)
    Coby MID 7024 returned- defective audio circuit
    Galaxy Tab 7"- returned- too expensive for 7" tablet
    Huawei Ideos S7- returned- bricked after 3 days use

100 Experience Points 3 months registered 31 days registered 7 days registered

Member #
    Device
    GT-P1000
    google maps works in europe with a data connection (roaming data expensive, best to use local data sim)
    way to pre-cache maps in Europe to use the Tab as a GPS in Europe:-
    on main pc, google maps, my maps, create a new map .... example, Palma Nova/Magaluf Majorca ....once created and all points you need added, save to my maps
    on the tab, switch off data, with wifi connection, open maps, layers, my maps .... goto the map you need, browse & zoom in & out .......... this will save to tab cache ..... pull down screen & switch off wifi, goto home page, switch off tab ...... switch on tab, goto maps ........... (skip the no connection warning) your map should still be there, test with zoom in & out, layers sattelite view on & off
    you can setup seperate my maps for each local point you want

Ads: