Register Hello & Welcome to AndroidTablets.net, is this your first visit?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Turn off 3G?

Junior Member Achievements:
    500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points 3 months registered 31 days registered

Member #

Turn off 3G?

I'm interesting in purchasing the 7-inch 3G model for use solely with wi-fi, so that I can take advantage of the higher-performance processor, etc. Is there any way of turning off the 3G radio entirely, while leaving the wi-fi radio on? I'd prefer not to expend battery charge on a radio that I wouldn't be using.

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Achievements:
    1 year registered 1,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    gtab
    Why it big a wifi only which would be cheaper?

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points 3 months registered 31 days registered

Member #
    Because the 3G model has higher performance CPU and graphics processor.

100 Experience Points Tagger Second Class 31 days registered 7 days registered

Member #
    Device
    None Yet
    Go find a store that has one out that you can fiddle with. Go to Home -> Settings -> Wireless & Network -> Mobile networks

You should have a check box there that will let you turn off 3G data.
    TIA,

Morrighu

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by morrighu View Post
    Go find a store that has one out that you can fiddle with. Go to Home -> Settings -> Wireless & Network -> Mobile networks

You should have a check box there that will let you turn off 3G data.
    I tried that, but the 3G signal strength bars in the notification area didn't go away, from which I concluded that the 3G radio was still on.

1 year registered 500 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points

Member #
    You can go to Airplane Mode, then turn wifi back on (the 3G radio will remain off). The only drawback is that while in airplane mode, the tablet will not allow you to turn on the bluetooth radio (even though wifi can be activated from this mode). As an alternative, search the Android market for various free "My Settings" or "Quick Settings" apps which provide additional flexibility (i.e., one touch settings access from the notification bar and settings widgets) and depth of functionality vs. the stock "Settings" service (for which all you can do is turn off 3G data comms, but not the actual radio itself) and which may allow you to selectively turn the 3G radio. I have not done an exhaustive search for such an app that works on my Galaxy tab, but assume that they do exist out there (because I've found them for other android devices).

Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 288
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran 5,000 Experience Points 1 year registered 1,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points

Member #
    Level
    Device
    Droid, Haipad 701, Rooted Nook Color
    why not get a nook color instead-with cm7 at 1.3 ghz it is much snappier than galaxy. but you do lose the cameras

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
    Support my latest project - ACROSS TOWN - a graphic novel styled animated drama about the tragic consequences of gang violence

1 year registered 500 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points

Member #
    And the GPS. And the bluetooth. And the native Samsung multimedia apps. Seriously...please don't tell me you are suggesting the OP get a new and less capable device and hack it solely because he is trying to figure out a way to squeeze some more of the more than generous battery life out of his existing device. Pretty much makes no sense whatsoever...

Sent from my SGH-T849 using Android Tablet Forum

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by vferrari View Post
    And the GPS. And the bluetooth. And the native Samsung multimedia apps. Seriously...please don't tell me you are suggesting the OP get a new and less capable device and hack it solely because he is trying to figure out a way to squeeze some more of the more than generous battery life out of his existing device. Pretty much makes no sense whatsoever...

Sent from my SGH-T849 using Android Tablet Forum
    Okay, here's my latest. The Airplane On, Wi-Fi On trick worked on the store display model. I bought a 3G and took it home, intending not to activate the 3G account at all. But the Tab won't let me get past the opening Activation screen to just use it on wi-fi. Any way around this?

Member #
    To get help on activation bypass methods, readers need to know your carrier since the process varies amongst the wireless carriers. Alternatively, you can search the forum to see if activation bypass instructions have been posted for your specific carrier's device.

Sent from my LS670 using Android Tablet Forum

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ads: