Register Hello & Welcome to AndroidTablets.net, is this your first visit?

Junior Member Achievements:
    1 year registered 500 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points 3 months registered 250 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    sylvania synet7lp

Uninstalling apps

Specifically uninstalling the pre-installed apps on the sylvania synet7lp. How the heck do you do it?
    I followed the instructions I found here How to Remove Stock Android Apps | Market 4 Android For removing the stock apps I did the simplest method, rooted the tablet with Universal Androot then installed Root Explorer, went to the app, long pressed on it and chose uninstall and I get an error message that it's a read only file and cannot be uninstalled. Is there an uninstall app that will actually get rid of these apps?
    Forgive me if this topic has been asked and answered, I looked thru a lot of posts on all these pages but the ones I read didn't have the answer, but you answered a lot of other questions I had so thanks!

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Circuit advertisement

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran 150,000 Experience Points 100,000 Experience Points 50,000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Member #
    Level
    Device
    Sylvania SYNET7LP
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Howithurtz View Post
    Specifically uninstalling the pre-installed apps on the sylvania synet7lp. How the heck do you do it?
    I followed the instructions I found here How to Remove Stock Android Apps | Market 4 Android For removing the stock apps I did the simplest method, rooted the tablet with Universal Androot then installed Root Explorer, went to the app, long pressed on it and chose uninstall and I get an error message that it's a read only file and cannot be uninstalled. Is there an uninstall app that will actually get rid of these apps?
    Forgive me if this topic has been asked and answered, I looked thru a lot of posts on all these pages but the ones I read didn't have the answer, but you answered a lot of other questions I had so thanks!
    Welcome to the forum and thanks for searching, we all agree there is a lot of information but not easy to sift through to find the relevant answer.

Uninstalling pre-installed apps = deleting or disabling by renaming.

I have given up deleting stock applications in favor of just renaming them with the .bak extension (short for backup). That way if they're needed back just reverse the process. My method is the same as you noted but you missed the step to set the folder/partition to R/W (read/write) to allow changes. Root and then use Root Explorer, navigate to the /system/app folder, click on the "Mount R/W" button (this enables read/write), a long press on the stock application of choice, select Rename, click in the file name box and add .bak, click save, click "Mount R/O" (set read/only), navigate back to root /, navigate to /data/dalvik-cache, select all the contents, delete all the contents, restart the tablet. Certainly not really simple and straight forward but works.

Note the "Mount R/W" button, ignore the "Next press Paste ..." it's not applicable to the renaming process.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	639d1293816981-how-move-books-internal-library-root-required-10-12-31-5.jpg 
Views:	2231 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	3429
    Last edited by cfrockit; 08-06-2011 at 12:15 AM.

Junior Member Achievements:
    1 year registered 500 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points 3 months registered 250 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    sylvania synet7lp
    Thanks, that worked great. I got rid of a lot of apps/widgets I'll never use.

Ads: