Register Hello & Welcome to AndroidTablets.net, is this your first visit?

Thanks Tree1Thanks
  • 1 Post By xaueious

Thread: Screen Oreintation

Member Achievements:
    500 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points 3 months registered

Member #
    Device
    Sylvania SYNET7LP

Screen Oreintation

Has anybody found a way, either through device settings or a thrid-party app, to force an application to open in portrait or landscape mode?

Some games, like angry birds, are setup to always be in landscape mode and work just fine on the sylvania tab. Other games auto rotate with the screen, like alchemy, it can be in either landscape or portrait as you physically rotate your tablet.

However, games like slice-it and a bunch of others are setup to always be in portrait mode. These do not work right, they come up in landscape mode on the tablet with the top and bottom cut off, since they are supposed to be in portrait. I can't figure out how to tell the tablet to open the app in portait so it displays properly.

Any suggestions?

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Circuit advertisement

Member Achievements:
    500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points 3 months registered 31 days registered

Member #
    Device
    Zenithink ZT-180
    Well it looks like it's possible but you have to change the app's manifest. This would mean getting into the root of the app and modifying it. Not sure how hard it is but it sounds easily done. Heres a link with some info. Click Here I'm sure hunting around I could find some more but heres a start.

Member Achievements:
    500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points 3 months registered 31 days registered

Member #
    Device
    Zenithink ZT-180
    A little more digging and you can change the .apk of the app to .zip and from there unzip and you will see the AndroidManifest.xml I guessing if you edit the file then just change it back to an .apk it should do it. You will probably need to download an .xml editor though. Don't hold me to this but it looks like thats all you need to do.

Administrator Achievements:
    100,000 Experience Points Veteran 50,000 Experience Points 25,000 Experience Points 10,000 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    Asus Transformer TF300, Huwaei Ideos S7-104, HSG X5A, (Past APAD IMX515, APAD RK2808, RK2818 RT7)
    You will need to first decompile the application, modify it, recompile, and resign it so you can install it.

It is actually made very straightforward with this tool here: Apk Manager 4.9 - Makes Modifying Ur Apk A Breeze (Windows/Linux) - xda-developers

Changing the manifest does not guarantee that it will work right on your device though. You can still try.

For the activity you want to modify, where it says android:screenOrientation, change it from portrait to landscape, or vice versa.
    ImagineThat thanked this.
    Huawei Ideos S7-104 on Singapore ROM, HSG X5A, RK2818 RT7, (Past: IMX515 APAD, RK2808 APAD)

My written articles are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License

本人現在已比較小時間瀏覽此論壇。有關和此論壇的合作關係,請聯絡admin或4Nines。

Junior Member Achievements:
    250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points 3 months registered 31 days registered 7 days registered

Member #
    Device
    pendo pad
    i have cracked my screen on my pendo pad and was just wandering were i can get a replacement or who i can get to fix it cause with the crack in the screen the pad does not work?

Member Achievements:
    500 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points 3 months registered

Member #
    Device
    Sylvania SYNET7LP
    wow, thanks fox and xaueious. That actually was pretty simple. I decompiled, edited the manifest, got it put back together and installed in no time.

However, unfortunatley, I think my problem with the SYNET7LP may go deeper, possibly something to do with the android implementation on it. The manifest for the apk I was working with was already set to portrait, which is how it should be, but it incorrectly loads landscape on the tablet. I tried changing android:screenOrientation to landscape, thinking for some reason maybe my tab was just intepreting the command opposite, but no luck. Other apk's that are supposed to be landscape load that way and everything is fine...so it can't be this simple. For some reason EVERYTHING loads landscape no matter what the manifest says. Apps that allow the orientation to change as you rotate the screen seems to work fine, but if the app is set to only be one orientation the tablet always runs it landscape.

Perhaps when they release froyo for this tab it will fix it...that's not supposed to be too far away. Any other thoughts on this are welcomed.
    Last edited by ImagineThat; 02-02-2011 at 11:25 PM.

Member #
    Device
    zte racer, tpc7slv
    i will be releasing a custom rom in next few weeks pending on rom dump, that will fix orientation issues, i have a thread on DoDo Pendo Pad - Android Forums please post all needs and wants for custom 2.2+ rom

Junior Member Achievements:
    3 months registered 250 Experience Points 31 days registered 100 Experience Points 7 days registered

Member #
    Device
    Sylvania 10" SYTAB10ST
    Quote Originally Posted by ImagineThat View Post
    Has anybody found a way, either through device settings or a thrid-party app, to force an application to open in portrait or landscape mode?
    Smart Rotator
    Sets apps to have auto-rotate, portrait, or landscape display.

Ads: