Register Hello & Welcome to AndroidTablets.net, is this your first visit?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Thanks Tree1Thanks

Thread: Air card for g tablet

Junior Member Achievements:
    1 year registered 1,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    ViewSonic g tablet

Air card for g tablet

Since I do not have any hot spots to connect to while I'm at work, was wondering if you can use a USB air card for internet connection?

My tablet is ViewSonic Android version 2.2 build FRF91.

Appreciate any help on this.

Thanks, Betty

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Circuit advertisement

Moderator Achievements:
    10,000 Experience Points 1 year registered 5,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points

Member #
    Not that it doesn't exist but, to my knowledge, I have never heard of it working with any ROM.
    Fugatech
    nookcolor 1.1 rooted with Auto-Nooter 3.0.0//Viewsonic G-Tab running 1.1 Bottle of Smoke a5.2 Honeycomb //Droid 2 rooted running Liberty v1.5
    Remember to use the Thanks button!

1 year registered 1,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    Viewsonic gTablet
    I too would love to have the ability to use my 4G verizon air card with my gtab. If anyone has info on this I for one would love to learn more.

Moderator Achievements:
    10,000 Experience Points 1 year registered 5,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points

Member #
    tether it?
    Fugatech
    nookcolor 1.1 rooted with Auto-Nooter 3.0.0//Viewsonic G-Tab running 1.1 Bottle of Smoke a5.2 Honeycomb //Droid 2 rooted running Liberty v1.5

Administrator Achievements:
    50,000 Experience Points 25,000 Experience Points 10,000 Experience Points 5,000 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    HTC Thunderbolt, ViewSonic GTab, Huawei S7, Gentouch 78
    how are you using your AirCards now? Are they plugged into your laptops? This would be a function on the Aircard side of things, unless it is that you want to plug it directly into the tablet.

I would think that if the AirCard simply needs USB power to operate, and then it broadcasts a WiFi connection you could do it. If there is a USB connection that has to be made from the tablet to the AC directly, I don't think anyone has written the necessary code yet.
    JWAYAD thanked this.
    Peter B. - email: tardis@androidtablets.net | Twitter: pbbrauer | Google+: pbbrauer | gTalk: pbbrauer@gmail.com
    Current Devices, ROMs:
    (Active) VZW Samsung Galaxy Nexus- Rooted, Android ICS 4.0.2 | ASUS Transformer Prime TF201- Rooted, Unlocked, Virtuous Prime-9.4.2.15 v1 ROM
    (Retired) Viewsonic gTab - Rooted, Flashback 10.3 (Honeycomb) | Huawei S7 - Rooted, Froyo Fusion R2 | (Other) Nook Color (2 of these) | Gentouch 7/8 - Rooted, Lincrackers Pirate 3

Remember to "Thank" people that help you out! |Click here for general Questions?

Member #
    Device
    ViewSonic g tablet
    I got the AirCard for the tablet but the USB connection on the tablet doesn't recognize it. I do not have a SmartPhone to use for a hot spot. Was hoping the AirCard would work. Wish there was code for it.

Thanks for all your answers.

Moderator Achievements:

Member #
    Ask over at XDA where the devs are. Someone might be intrested and do it.
    Fugatech

Senior Member Achievements:
    5,000 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 1 year registered

Member #
    Device
    Archos 101, Viewsonic G-Tablet, Motorola Droid X.... test drove: Augen gentouch 78, Coby Kyros 7015
    What service are you getting the air time with Betty?.... if all you're needing is an on the go hot spot.... Virgin mobile has the best rates that i've seen WITHOUT a contract (no contrat means you can turn it off and on from month to month if you find you're not using it)

Unlimited data over 3G for $50/month, $20/month for 500MB or $10/10 days with 100MB .. and they have a MiFi Hot spot modem that'll allow 5 connections... it's small and self powered... used it for a while myself and it's acceptable for most things... streaming movies seemed to be a bit much for it though alot of caching (at least when i was trying it on my Wii, it might be different on the Gtab with the new Netfix app)... for general browsing or eamil and what not it was deffinatly fine.

Using the MIFI you would just connect to it like you would any other wifi hotspot....

Broadband2Go - 3G Mobile Broadband Service | Virgin Mobile

you can usually pick these up at Best Buy or Radio Shack on sale from time to time. I'd check there before ordering from the website.....
    Last edited by Swould333; 05-25-2011 at 06:43 AM.

Member Achievements:
    1 year registered 500 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    none
    I would suggest a "MiFi" type of solutions - Entertainment and Apps from Verizon Wireless - Mobile Hotspot

You did not mention carrier. So I just picked one...
    This card is a mobile hotspot so the gTab would connect through the WiFi connection.
    This would work with any of the ROM's which have WiFi enabled...

What phone do you carry? I have a Droid X and have been able to connect my gTab...

Hope this helps!!! Dan

Member #
    Device
    Superpad
    How come they haven't written a kernel that includes an ethernet interface and a driver for a 3g stick? It really sounds like a software issue for me. Hopefully someone in the "know" will realize this and create a kernel that facilitates that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads: