Register Hello & Welcome to AndroidTablets.net, is this your first visit?

Member Achievements:
    1 year registered 1,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 3 months registered 250 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    IdeaTab A2109

Question Safely Remove USB Thumb Drive

Hello All,
    I use a Viewsonic gTablet, I already know that the android os is sure different than the ms windows os system I'm used to. With windows..when you plug in a usb 2.0 thumb drive, windows automatically recognizes it, and when you are finished using it, you just 'eject' it and then you can safely remove it. Is there ANY way to do this when using a android tablet ?
    Thanks,
    David

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Achievements:
    250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points 3 months registered 31 days registered 7 days registered

Member #
    Device
    Viewsonic G-Tablet
    It depends on what rom you are using. But in general you would go to whatever File Explorer you have on your tab, and look for USB Storage. It will show you what's on the drive and to remove it there might be a unmount link in the File Explorer. On Gtabcomb rom on the bottom where the task bar is you touch where the time is and it gives you a list of what is opened. If you close the X next to usb storage it "ejects" the drive. On the default os, I couldn't tell you.

Senior Member Achievements:
    1 year registered Recommendation Second Class 500 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points 250 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    super
    Quote Originally Posted by luvduchovny View Post
    It depends on what rom you are using. But in general you would go to whatever File Explorer you have on your tab, and look for USB Storage. It will show you what's on the drive and to remove it there might be a unmount link in the File Explorer. On Gtabcomb rom on the bottom where the task bar is you touch where the time is and it gives you a list of what is opened. If you close the X next to usb storage it "ejects" the drive. On the default os, I couldn't tell you.
    It should be in settings=>storage=>unmount USB storage

sent from my Century Eyes Gtablet using Tapatalk
    If I'm not poking around on this forum, you can find me HERE.

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points

Member #
    Level
    Device
    Google Nexus 10/Google Galaxy Nexus
    But I'm curious - is there really a need for it on an Android tablet? I never really even thought to consider it.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

Awaiting the Transformer Prime.

5,000 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 1 year registered

Member #
    Device
    Archos 101, Viewsonic G-Tablet, Motorola Droid X.... test drove: Augen gentouch 78, Coby Kyros 7015
    The Main reason you want to want to "reject" or "unmount" USB peripherials is to stop electrical current flowing to them.. if you just pull it and current is still going via a file transfer or being read it can, I emphasise can, not necessarily will but might and can, do damage to the usb device or the system circuit board or corrupt the data on the device in the instance of a flash drive... typically though if you wait and make sure the device isn't in use at the time of pulling it it "shouldn't" do harm. IMO ...Better safe than sorry though... it's better device practice to unmount the device before removing it.

1 year registered Recommendation Second Class 500 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points 250 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    super
    Quote Originally Posted by Swould333 View Post
    The Main reason you want to want to "reject" or "unmount" USB peripherials is to stop electrical current flowing to them.. if you just pull it and current is still going via a file transfer or being read it can, I emphasise can, not necessarily will but might and can, do damage to the usb device or the system circuit board or corrupt the data on the device in the instance of a flash drive... typically though if you wait and make sure the device isn't in use at the time of pulling it it "shouldn't" do harm. IMO ...Better safe than sorry though... it's better device practice to unmount the device before removing it.
    +1 with that. I thought that Windoze only did that, until I smoked an old beater 512M that I've had for 8 years. Can't read it at all, completely unresponsive.

sent from my Brilliant Corners with Clemsyn Kernal Gtablet using Tapatalk
    If I'm not poking around on this forum, you can find me HERE.

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points

Member #
    Level
    Device
    Google Nexus 10/Google Galaxy Nexus
    I wonder if this also occurs with USB-powered HDDs. Different tech - uses power to spin plates, and since the electricity is translated into mechanical force (mostly),a stiffen cut-out shouldn't have any effect.

Awaiting the Transformer Prime.

5,000 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 1 year registered

Member #
    Device
    Archos 101, Viewsonic G-Tablet, Motorola Droid X.... test drove: Augen gentouch 78, Coby Kyros 7015
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkop View Post
    I wonder if this also occurs with USB-powered HDDs. Different tech - uses power to spin plates, and since the electricity is translated into mechanical force (mostly),a stiffen cut-out shouldn't have any effect.

With this, again, it's weather or not the device is reading or writing to the drive... just a cut out of power to spin the plattens shouldn't be an issue i wouldn't believe... But you should unmount one of these drives in the storage section of settings just as you would any other flash storage device if it recognizes it as a storage medium.

Member Achievements:
    1 year registered 1,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 3 months registered 250 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    IdeaTab A2109
    Hello,
    At least with the brilliant corners rom I installed yesterday, there's an application in there called 'sniffer'..it allows you to 'unmount' drives. Glad to see it available.
    David

Ads: