Register Hello & Welcome to AndroidTablets.net, is this your first visit?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Thanks Tree1Thanks

Thread: Windows 7 Lite for Dual Boot Viewpad 10

Member Achievements:
    1 year registered 500 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    Viewpad10

Windows 7 Lite for Dual Boot Viewpad 10

********DISCLAIMER********
    This is not pirated, pre-activated, or
    patched in any way!!!! you still need
    your windows home premium Key to
    activate the software.

I made a lite version of Windows 7 Home premium x86 to install on our Viewpads, it is around 6Gb installed (4GB after applying the tips below), I took out a lot of useless crap but still left the necessary drivers and software for it to function correctly including windows updates.
    before you begin, I recommend downloading the drivers or copying them from the cd to an sd card, or you can get a driver backup program, here are some good free choices.
    Option #1: you can write it to your thumb drive using your favorite ISO writing software.
    Option #2 format your thumb drive to NTFS,
    copy all the files from inside the ISO onto the thumb drive,
    open the boot folder, hold shift and right click somewhere in the empty space and select open command window here,
    then type this, bootsect /nt60 drive letter: and hit enter,
    say your thumb drive letter is L then this is what it looks like (without quotes) "bootsect /nt60 L:" it will probably say it may not have worked because access denied, just ignore it, close the window and boot from the usb. if it doesnt let you boot from the usb something about boot MBR missing, change your user account control setting to never notify me, reboot and type the command again.
    you can input your cd key during or after the install, the benefit for doing it after is you have 30 days to activate it and you won't have a black screen popping up telling you that you need to activate windows now. if automatic activation fails, (it is a little touchy in the activation area because of the programs removed) just do the phone activation and it will be fine.

Again, this is in no way to be used for pirating, cracking, or patching, it is just the windows that came with the device and you still need a cd key to get any use out of it.

Download Windows 7 home Prem

TIPS
    to reclaim even more space turn off hibernate (google on how to do it) it saves almost 1Gb,

turn off or clear all but the most recent restore points by going to computer> right click C: drive and select properties> select disk cleanup> select more options> you will see the option, (space saved varies)

turn off or reduce paging size, go to start> right click computer and select properties> on the right hand side select advanced system settings> go to advance tab and under performance select settings>advanced>under virtual memory select change, now here you can either turn it off completely (recommended if you upgraded to 2Gb of RAM) or reduce the total size, if you still have only 1Gb of RAM I recommend reducing it to 1Gb then restart the tablet, the computer will only use the space that is allocated here if you are trying to install or open a program that is bigger than the amount of RAM your computer has, i have it turned off and haven't had one problem so far.
    Last edited by RckyBobby; 05-06-2011 at 01:46 PM.
    mr_shine thanked this.

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Circuit advertisement

Member Achievements:
    500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points 3 months registered Tagger Second Class

Member #
    Device
    Viewtab 10
    Darn you. I was so happy with ubuntu because it didn't take up a lot of hdd space. Now I want to try this!!! But that would mean reinstalling Win7 then restoring Ubuntu if I don't like it. Everyone already thinks I love reinstalling OSes because I do it so often. Maybe I'll do it this weekend, but the link needs me to register a user name to DL a file greater than 500MB... ho hum.

Great work, though. What you did Microsoft should've done themselves!!!

Member Achievements:
    500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points 3 months registered Tagger Second Class

Member #
    Device
    Viewtab 10
    ha ha! I got impatient and installed ubuntu 11.04 but too many things broke! I have to reinstall 10.10. I suppose I will try this before reinstalling ubuntu!

I'll send feedback soon!

Junior Member Achievements:
    1 year registered 500 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    ViewSonic VPAD 10
    Quote Originally Posted by dleite View Post
    I'll send feedback soon!
    Any feedback on this?

RckyBobby - Great indeed, thx for sharing!
    Last edited by benzizbit; 05-02-2011 at 06:55 AM.

Member #
    Device
    ViewSonic VPAD 10
    RckyBobby I have install windows, and it looks great!! thx for sharing.

Lets say I like to add some removed windows app/programs (lets say "media center" for example), how can I do that?

Member Achievements:

Member #
    Device
    Viewpad10
    Quote Originally Posted by benzizbit View Post
    RckyBobby I have install windows, and it looks great!! thx for sharing.

Lets say I like to add some removed windows app/programs (lets say "media center" for example), how can I do that?
    windows media center should already be taken out, and the only way (that I know of) to take other programs out is to use Vlite, then you have to reinstall windows. I did a lot of testing on this and I removed everything I could without something else being broken.

Member #
    Device
    ViewSonic VPAD 10
    Ok - thx

Member #
    Device
    ViewSonic VPAD 10
    Quote Originally Posted by RckyBobby View Post
    windows media center should already be taken out, and the only way (that I know of) to take other programs out is to use Vlite, then you have to reinstall windows. I did a lot of testing on this and I removed everything I could without something else being broken.
    and what about adding ?

Member Achievements:

Member #
    Device
    Viewtab 10
    did you go to the Windows download webpage? Microsoft Download Center

I'd start there.

100 Experience Points 3 months registered 31 days registered 7 days registered

Member #
    Device
    viewpad 10
    some question about this win7 build:
    1. is this build create 1st part 2gb for android and install himself to 2nd partition? or this is normal, bootable, windows installation? what partition mapping I must create?
    2. can I run anytime upgrade in this version? I have for this special serial from MS.
    3. can you install sp1 on your build? on viewsonics recovered image you can't cause windows don't manage the boot procedure (explained by MS site)

10x a lot!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ads: