Register Hello & Welcome to AndroidTablets.net, is this your first visit?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Thanks Tree1Thanks

Thread: Tight lipped

Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 150
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 5,000 Experience Points 3 months registered 1,000 Experience Points 31 days registered

Member #
    Level
    Device
    iPad2 32, Toshiba Thrive 32. Lenovo IdeaPad A1, ICOO D90W

Tight lipped

As a user of the current Vizio tablet and wanting to use the up and coming Vtab 3010 I am perturbed buy Vizios desire to keep everyone in the dark about the release time and price of the new tablet. This coupled with no time line released for the Honeycomb update for the current model.

I know they said the release would be based on the serial number of the tablet or something like that, (at least that is what I read here on the forums in a post some place) which sounds like a cop out of some sort to me.
    If all the Vtab 1008s have the same hardware in them then the Honeycomb ROM for one should work on them all, so if they have it they should just release it and have it over with.

Is it just me or does anyone else feel like we are being kept in the dark on purpose?
    To all members. Remember to thank those who help you with a problem by clicking on the "Thank" icon/link on the right of the screen in the post.
    It helps us (members) to know that we are actually helping you.

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Circuit advertisement

Member Achievements:
    1,000 Experience Points 1 year registered 500 Experience Points 3 months registered 250 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    Vizio VTAB1008, Xoom 4G
    I can't say whether the lack of information is intentional, but like many others, patience is getting hard to maintain as we await the release of Honeycomb. I believe we saw on Youtube a Vizio rep at CES 2012 saying it hopefully would be released by the end of the month (January), and now February has come and gone without explanation. You do have to ask, "What happened?"

So, yesterday I started a chat session with Vizio support asking whether the release for VTAB1008 would be Honeycomb or possibly ICS (hoping the delay may be an indication of jumping to ICS). The rep confirmed it would be Honeycomb, but as to its release date, he would only say it has not been confirmed yet. He would not even give a general indication whether it might be released within the next 30 days.

I truly appreciate they are working on an upgrade for a device that is well into its life cycle, but I find myself struggling with the hardware manufacturers control over the availability of Android updates for my tablets unless one is willing to root and rely on independent developers. I am thinking here in comparison to Windows and the choice we have of upgrading to the next release or not, which is mostly independent of the hardware makers support. The point I am trying to make is ASUS, for example, does not decide whether I can upgrade my 2 year old netbook to Windows 7. I just go buy an official copy from a known reputable source and move on. I think I would like my tablet to work similarly. Another example is my Droid X, which Motorola has decided it remains on Gingerbread...thank you very much... I should be able to upgrade the OS directly from Google without rooting and finding custom ROM's etc.

(okay, end of rant, resuming focus on the really important things in life)

Member Achievements:
    1,000 Experience Points 1 year registered 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    Vizio VTAB1008 / Pandigital Novels
    I don't know about you guys but I saw a CES video with a rep talking about 3010 would be coming out or at least all the info would be out at the start of May and they were looking to have 1008 software near the end of march give or take a couple of weeks, (early April)

Achievements:
    1 year registered 5,000 Experience Points 3 months registered 1,000 Experience Points 31 days registered

Member #
    Level
    Device
    You gots a linkenhimer to that video there?
    To all members. Remember to thank those who help you with a problem by clicking on the "Thank" icon/link on the right of the screen in the post.

Member Achievements:
    1,000 Experience Points 1 year registered 500 Experience Points 3 months registered 250 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    Vizio VTAB1008, Xoom 4G
    Here is the one I was thinking of. She says second half of 2012 for the new tablet.

Member #
    For what it's worth, the Vizio tech rep I talked to today said the firmware update was being currently pushed out incrementally, and would be complete and show as an update, within two weeks.

Junior Member Achievements:
    250 Experience Points 3 months registered 7 days registered 31 days registered 100 Experience Points

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandos View Post
    For what it's worth, the Vizio tech rep I talked to today said the firmware update was being currently pushed out incrementally, and would be complete and show as an update, within two weeks.
    post ur chat log? You're not the first to come here and say that, and I'm leaning towards people creating nasty rumors rather than Vizio support being stupid.

Member Achievements:

Member #
    Device
    Vizio VTAB1008, Xoom 4G
    @bkaler It does seem like someone would announce in this forum receipt of the upgrade if it is true that that "the firmware update was being currently pushed out incrementally."

Achievements:

Member #
    Level
    Device
    Seriously, why put it out in increments? As I said, if all the Vtab 1008s have all the same hardware why not just put the release out there and let people update?
    Not looking to start a conspiracy theory, just saying "Why the secrecy?" One obscure video and second hand rumor of when. Being that Vizio is an American company based out of California I want to like them, I want to buy their products to help an American business but it puts a shadow of doubt in my mind when this kind of stuff goes on.
    Just like with StraightTalk cellular always leaking 7 months in advance that some new cool phone is coming and then the put a clamp down on any further news, so we never know when the phone is being released or how much it will cost until it hits the market in the middle of the night on a busy weekend where no one sees it until its to late and they have already spent all their money on BBQ.

Junior Member Achievements:
    250 Experience Points 31 days registered 100 Experience Points 7 days registered

Member #
    Device
    vizio tablet
    Well, I got my Vizio from Costco. If they don't upgrade to Honeycomb in 60 days. The Vizio goes back to Costco! As is right now, the Vizio with Gingerbread does not even come close to the original Ipad 1 I owned in terms of operational smoothness. The only thing that's a plus with them is the built in GPS for which I could get from the Samsung Galaxy Player 5.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ads: