Register Hello & Welcome to AndroidTablets.net, is this your first visit?

Thanks Tree1Thanks
  • 1 Post By relliottky

Thread: Cracked glass replacement.

Junior Member Achievements:
    7 days registered 31 days registered 3 months registered 100 Experience Points 250 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    Vizio VTAB1008

Cracked glass replacement.

So one of the toddlers accidentally pushed the tablet off the counter this weekend. Vizio treats the screens on these as TV's and apparently doesn't warranty them against any kind of drop damage. (I'd think they should stand up to some droppage considering they are tablets and not TVs, but I digress.)

Anyhow, the screen and digitizer seem to be working 100% fine. The outer glass on the other hand, it's all kinds of cracked. There's even a tiny bit missing, making a finger cut hazard in a couple places.

I've contacted one of the repair centers for an estimate, but anticipate it won't be worth sending in. My question is if anyone has any idea where I can source a replacement for the top layer of glass? I've done some electronics repair in my time and the idea of replacing parts in this tablet doesn't faze me in the least. I just can't seem to find a place to get parts from at all. I guess I could try Vizio support, but my understanding is that they don't deal in parts, just replacements. Their partners have access to get parts is the way I read it.

Any ideas? I have been checking for "as is" units without broken glass, but most broken units seem to be from screen damage. If I find one with screen damage, but not glass damage I'm thinking it should work, anyone who has done a tear-down for one reason or another able to verify that for me?

Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Circuit advertisement

Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 500 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points 7 days registered 31 days registered

Member #
    Level
    Device
    EM73

Found this link

Vizio VTAB1008 Tablet Front Cover - IMP-426783

Quote Originally Posted by CeridianMN View Post
    So one of the toddlers accidentally pushed the tablet off the counter this weekend. Vizio treats the screens on these as TV's and apparently doesn't warranty them against any kind of drop damage. (I'd think they should stand up to some droppage considering they are tablets and not TVs, but I digress.)

Anyhow, the screen and digitizer seem to be working 100% fine. The outer glass on the other hand, it's all kinds of cracked. There's even a tiny bit missing, making a finger cut hazard in a couple places.

I've contacted one of the repair centers for an estimate, but anticipate it won't be worth sending in. My question is if anyone has any idea where I can source a replacement for the top layer of glass? I've done some electronics repair in my time and the idea of replacing parts in this tablet doesn't faze me in the least. I just can't seem to find a place to get parts from at all. I guess I could try Vizio support, but my understanding is that they don't deal in parts, just replacements. Their partners have access to get parts is the way I read it.

Any ideas? I have been checking for "as is" units without broken glass, but most broken units seem to be from screen damage. If I find one with screen damage, but not glass damage I'm thinking it should work, anyone who has done a tear-down for one reason or another able to verify that for me?

Thanks in advance!
    CeridianMN thanked this.

Member Achievements:
    1 year registered 1,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 3 months registered 250 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    VTab
    Just a random thought but what about something like Glass Doctor or Saftelite, etc. some of those companies do more than auto glass. May be worth a shot if you can't find anything.

Junior Member Achievements:
    7 days registered 31 days registered 3 months registered 100 Experience Points 250 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    Vizio VTAB1008
    Quote Originally Posted by ktackel View Post
    Just a random thought but what about something like Glass Doctor or Saftelite, etc. some of those companies do more than auto glass. May be worth a shot if you can't find anything.
    Hmm. That's an idea. I'd need to get the old piece out and bring it I would bet. @$100 for the glass + digitizer it's not a cheap fix. Another $50 and it's a replacement from eBay. We're trying to figure out a course of action. We have a road trip coming up and having two working ones to help deal with the kids for portions might not hurt. (Looking at 14 hour driving days with toddlers.)

Member Achievements:
    1,000 Experience Points 1 year registered 500 Experience Points 3 months registered 250 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    Vizio VTAB1008
    Maybe you could put a screen protector on it if you can't or don't get it fixed. It may have some use and be safe from sharp glass.

Just a thought...Brad

Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 10
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 7 days registered 31 days registered

Member #
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by BPisMe View Post
    Maybe you could put a screen protector on it if you can't or don't get it fixed. It may have some use and be safe from sharp glass.

Just a thought...Brad
    That works fine.. I have a Vizio (well, I have about a half dozen actually. ) that I use just for SQUARE UP transactions. It's got some cracks and I took it to a cell phone store that my daughter works at. She put a protector on it. It covered up the sharp edges, prevents more glass pieces from falling out and yet functions beautifully...

Would be nice to get the digitizers a bit cheaper.. Like the OP said, $50 and you can get a working on on EBAY...

Seems digitizers over all are not very easy to find. I have 3 Dell Streak 7s all needing replacement digitizers..

Michale

Ads: