Register Hello & Welcome to AndroidTablets.net, is this your first visit?

Thanks Tree1Thanks
  • 1 Post By fatmanwalking

Thread: Sprint 3G dongle on A91?

Senior Member Achievements:
    1 year registered 1,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    WITSA91

Sprint 3G dongle on A91?

My company provides me Sprint 3G dongle for my laptop. I would like to use it with my A91. Is there an initialization string or app I have to use to make it work?

On my PC, there is an application called smartview that I have to load to tell the dongle to connect. Is there something similar needed for Android?

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Circuit advertisement

Super Moderator Achievements:
    10,000 Experience Points 5,000 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    Better question What don't I own, Oh a generic APAD
    I am afraid the simple answer is no. But as you likely know, the answer could also be maybe. The problem is unless the 3G USB connectivity is baked into the FW, it will not happen. Archos, I know did it with their USB Stick and any that use the same chipset in the modem will work, but otherwise no. I would hit the Chinese WitsTech site with Google Translate. If it has been solved, it will be mentioned there.
    gurgle Tech stooge of the Internet
    Tablets Currently in Possession -Partial List
    MS --Fujitsu Stylistic LT TabletPC-Win98 / HP4400-W7U / Samsung Q1U- XPPro/V-Ult/Archos 9
    Android -- WItS A81E/ Archos 5/500 Archos 7HT/Archos 101/16/Asus Transformer 10.1/32 / G1

Remember-If You do not open it, you do not Own it

Member Achievements:
    1 year registered 1,000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points

Member #
    Device
    Sylvania Mini Tablet Express
    I used to connect my Virgin Mobile 3G dongle to my A81H. I have to work from memory here as my A81 is deader than a doornail these days. The only time I needed a Winblows PC was to initially activate my Dongle for service. Once activated, I did not need any type of switching software for my table as I do to use the dongle on my Ubuntu netbook.

I went into the section under Wireless and Networks, then to WiFi settings and turned WiFi off. I found another section for 3G support I believe (3G Data card settings?) and here is where I found a menu that allowed me to select EVDO from three choices. I believe there is a WCDMA choice as well.

Here is a snippet from a post I made months ago.

----------------------------
    Finally, last year I bought a Virgin Mobile 3G USB dongle to allow my netbook internet access when a WiFi hotspot was not available... ...The "full USB" port on my A81H was what I'd been counting on. I'd read on another Android Forum that the full USB port could be used with my Virgin Mobile USB dongle. Zounds it worked! All I had to do was check EVDO for my 3G Data Card settings and start up my Dolphin Browser. The Virgin Mobile website appears and all I have to do is log in and pay a fee to use the service. Cool!
    --------------------

Perhaps from my memory and notes you might be able to get a little further. Good luck!
    DanU thanked this.

Member #
    Device
    WITSA91
    Thanks as usual, Fatman. I found the config UI, now I need to get the correct settings from my work laptop and I should be in business!

Member #
    Device
    WITSA91
    Okay, I am trying to set up for EVDO (although it appears the modem also supports CDMA). However, it doesn't appear that the options for configuration line up with the user information I am able to gather from the Sprint SmartView app I use on my laptop.

Setup UI wants:
    Config Name
    Card ID
    Password
    Dial Number
    Attachment

On SmartView I have a lot of hardware information that I assume is largely irrelevant, except perhaps the ESN. There is user info that provides the following:
    User name
    phone number
    Home Carrier ID
    PRL version
    MSID (IMSI_S) which is the same as the phone number.

I called Sprint support but they were not able to help very much on non-Sprint tablet.

I have to believe that somehow the user information and perhaps ESN can be translated over to the fields the A91 has for configuration, but could use a little direction. Alternatively if anyone can describe the info they had to input in the config screen and where they got it from, it would be a huge help.

Member Achievements:

Member #
    Device
    Sylvania Mini Tablet Express
    DanU, I found the link I used for reference on slatedroid. It really doesn't say much more than what I posted a few days ago. Still, if you want to check it out, here it is:

Virgin Mobile Broadband2Go works - SlateDroid.com

Also, there are guys who are working on getting 3G USB modems to work on other tablets at xda-developers.com. Might be another place to poke around.

Ads: