Register Hello & Welcome to AndroidTablets.net, is this your first visit?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26
Thanks Tree2Thanks

Thread: WM8650 Review

  1. #1
    Junior Member Achievements:
    500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points 3 months registered 31 days registered

    Member #
    23030
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5
    Device
    WM8650

    WM8650 Review

    I recently imported 3 of the 7" VIA WM8650 from China to US. I thought this would be a nice item to sell here in the states and maybe make a little money. I was going to order 25 of them, but decided to just go with 3 to test performance first. Glad I did. Believe me, I HATE to give any product a poor review. But I have spent no less than 25 hours trying to make this thing work at an acceptable level. No, I don't expect Samsung galaxy quality out of this, but... this thing is awful.

    7" VIA WM8650
    Android Version 2.2
    Kernel 2.6.32.9-default
    Build Number generic-eng 2.2 froyo v1.1.1-20110308.162514
    Resistive screen

    1. The device is slow and buggy. For example, flash DOES work, but it's very choppy and can't keep up when watching a tiny cnn . com Video. Also, the device has locked up 3 three times.

    2. It cannot access the GOOGLE android market. This is because the application it comes with, LOOKS like it's the android market, it not. It's a Chinese market where most everything is in chinese. So you can't get facebook, angry birds, or the popular apps. I did get the amazon market on it. There is NO WAY to put the google android market on it. The manufacturer MUST put this on.

    3. No windows driver... Can't connect to PC. Can't charge it from USB cable.

    4. With the power cord plugged in, you can't plug in both USB cables into the adapter (because the power cord is in the way), which falls out easily.

    5. Does not have a regular USB port. You have to use a male to male cable, which is hard to find, and $25 (walmart) when you do find it. Doesn't matter anyway because you can't connect it to your windows PC.

    6. Screen capture, says, "Save failed". I have tried it with or without my SD card in. Then later it started working again, then stopped again.

    7. I put a movie on my SD card and the device will play the movie (yay), but there is distortion (black pixels) in the light areas of the movie (like sky). The same movie plays fine on my other android devices.

    8. I downloaded about 6 different basic games from the app market. Only 1 of them played acceptably. The rest were too choppy and too slow to play. Nope, angry birds is too slow to play.

    9. WiFi is weak. The signal is marginal when I'm about 25 ft from my wireless router. My computers and android phone have excellent signal strength from there.

    10. Touch screen is flaky. When I tap icons, I usually have to tap them a couple times to get the device to respond. When I scroll up and down, through a list of apps, when I lift up my finger, if it was on an icon, the device runs that icon. I have to swipe a couple times, just on the opening unlock screen. Extremely frustrating, because when you tap an icon, you don't know if you're WAITING for it to open because it's slow, or if it didn't register your tap.

    I do not believe this is running at 800Mhz at stated by the vendor. The vendor tells me there is no updated ROM for it.

    If anyone reads this and says, "WHAT???? my WM8650 is awesome!" I welcome your comments as to how you got it working.

    On the plus side, it makes a great digital photo frame, if you prop it up somehow, and a good MP3 player (that won't fit in your pocket).

  2. # ADS
    Ads
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many

  3. #2
    Administrator Achievements:
    100,000 Experience Points Veteran 50,000 Experience Points 25,000 Experience Points 10,000 Experience Points

    Member #
    795
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,486
    Thanked
    432 times
    Device
    Asus Transformer TF300, Huwaei Ideos S7-104, HSG X5A, (Past APAD IMX515, APAD RK2808, RK2818 RT7)
    Thanks a lot for the review.

    Do you have pictures of the devices?

    WM8650 is poised to succeed the WM8505. Considering how flaky the WM8505 was, I did not have high hopes for WM8650 either. But your experiences seem to reflect early batch bugs that are correctable.

    For Angry Birds, how is the performance if you turn the backgrounds off within the game, and wifi off to kill the ads?
    Huawei Ideos S7-104 on Singapore ROM, HSG X5A, RK2818 RT7, (Past: IMX515 APAD, RK2808 APAD)

    My written articles are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License

    本人現在已比較小時間瀏覽此論壇。有關和此論壇的合作關係,請聯絡admin或4Nines。

  4. #3
    Junior Member Achievements:
    500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points 3 months registered Tagger Second Class

    Member #
    23831
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    5
    Device
    ePad 7" VIA VT8650 Android 2.2

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by svguy View Post
    I recently imported 3 of the 7" VIA WM8650 from China to US. I thought this would be a nice item to sell here in the states and maybe make a little money. I was going to order 25 of them, but decided to just go with 3 to test performance first. Glad I did. Believe me, I HATE to give any product a poor review. But I have spent no less than 25 hours trying to make this thing work at an acceptable level. No, I don't expect Samsung galaxy quality out of this, but... this thing is awful.

    7" VIA WM8650
    Android Version 2.2
    Kernel 2.6.32.9-default
    Build Number generic-eng 2.2 froyo v1.1.1-20110308.162514
    Resistive screen

    1. The device is slow and buggy. For example, flash DOES work, but it's very choppy and can't keep up when watching a tiny cnn . com Video. Also, the device has locked up 3 three times.

    2. It cannot access the GOOGLE android market. This is because the application it comes with, LOOKS like it's the android market, it not. It's a Chinese market where most everything is in chinese. So you can't get facebook, angry birds, or the popular apps. I did get the amazon market on it. There is NO WAY to put the google android market on it. The manufacturer MUST put this on.

    3. No windows driver... Can't connect to PC. Can't charge it from USB cable.

    4. With the power cord plugged in, you can't plug in both USB cables into the adapter (because the power cord is in the way), which falls out easily.

    5. Does not have a regular USB port. You have to use a male to male cable, which is hard to find, and $25 (walmart) when you do find it. Doesn't matter anyway because you can't connect it to your windows PC.

    6. Screen capture, says, "Save failed". I have tried it with or without my SD card in. Then later it started working again, then stopped again.

    7. I put a movie on my SD card and the device will play the movie (yay), but there is distortion (black pixels) in the light areas of the movie (like sky). The same movie plays fine on my other android devices.

    8. I downloaded about 6 different basic games from the app market. Only 1 of them played acceptably. The rest were too choppy and too slow to play. Nope, angry birds is too slow to play.

    9. WiFi is weak. The signal is marginal when I'm about 25 ft from my wireless router. My computers and android phone have excellent signal strength from there.

    10. Touch screen is flaky. When I tap icons, I usually have to tap them a couple times to get the device to respond. When I scroll up and down, through a list of apps, when I lift up my finger, if it was on an icon, the device runs that icon. I have to swipe a couple times, just on the opening unlock screen. Extremely frustrating, because when you tap an icon, you don't know if you're WAITING for it to open because it's slow, or if it didn't register your tap.

    I do not believe this is running at 800Mhz at stated by the vendor. The vendor tells me there is no updated ROM for it.

    If anyone reads this and says, "WHAT???? my WM8650 is awesome!" I welcome your comments as to how you got it working.

    On the plus side, it makes a great digital photo frame, if you prop it up somehow, and a good MP3 player (that won't fit in your pocket).
    OK, most of those things don't really bother me, except the WiFi issues.

    Also, you may want to try some of the following to fix your problems:

    Try downloading and running Advanced Task Killer (APK) from below, kill all tasks **and disable WiFi** before running Angry Birds:
    http://rechild.mobi/

    Try this link to enable the Android market:
    Download New Android Market (.apk) For Android 2.2, 2.1 and Prev Versions - Others - Download Center - Pandawill Forum Powered by our member! - Powered by Discuz!

    Also, can you try installing & running Angry Birds Lite:
    http://aphotix.com/files/apk/com.rov...birds_lite.apk

    If this doesn't work also try installing & running Angry Birds Seasons:
    http://mist.breg.si/Android/2.11.10/com.rovio.angrybirdsseasons.v1.1.0.apk

    Also, please can you try installing & running Adobe Reader and tell me what the performance is like? (This will also tell me if the OS is really 2.2!)

    Adobe Reader APK:
    http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/f...dobeReader.apk

    Hopefully some of this helps, Alex.
    Last edited by DBAlex; 03-29-2011 at 01:58 PM.

  5. #4
    Junior Member Achievements:
    250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points 3 months registered 31 days registered 7 days registered

    Member #
    23501
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by svguy View Post
    I recently imported 3 of the 7" VIA WM8650 from China to US. I thought this would be a nice item to sell here in the states and maybe make a little money. I was going to order 25 of them, but decided to just go with 3 to test performance first. Glad I did. Believe me, I HATE to give any product a poor review. But I have spent no less than 25 hours trying to make this thing work at an acceptable level. No, I don't expect Samsung galaxy quality out of this, but... this thing is awful.

    7" VIA WM8650
    Android Version 2.2
    Kernel 2.6.32.9-default
    Build Number generic-eng 2.2 froyo v1.1.1-20110308.162514
    Resistive screen

    1. The device is slow and buggy. For example, flash DOES work, but it's very choppy and can't keep up when watching a tiny cnn . com Video. Also, the device has locked up 3 three times.

    2. It cannot access the GOOGLE android market. This is because the application it comes with, LOOKS like it's the android market, it not. It's a Chinese market where most everything is in chinese. So you can't get facebook, angry birds, or the popular apps. I did get the amazon market on it. There is NO WAY to put the google android market on it. The manufacturer MUST put this on.

    3. No windows driver... Can't connect to PC. Can't charge it from USB cable.

    4. With the power cord plugged in, you can't plug in both USB cables into the adapter (because the power cord is in the way), which falls out easily.

    5. Does not have a regular USB port. You have to use a male to male cable, which is hard to find, and $25 (walmart) when you do find it. Doesn't matter anyway because you can't connect it to your windows PC.

    6. Screen capture, says, "Save failed". I have tried it with or without my SD card in. Then later it started working again, then stopped again.

    7. I put a movie on my SD card and the device will play the movie (yay), but there is distortion (black pixels) in the light areas of the movie (like sky). The same movie plays fine on my other android devices.

    8. I downloaded about 6 different basic games from the app market. Only 1 of them played acceptably. The rest were too choppy and too slow to play. Nope, angry birds is too slow to play.

    9. WiFi is weak. The signal is marginal when I'm about 25 ft from my wireless router. My computers and android phone have excellent signal strength from there.

    10. Touch screen is flaky. When I tap icons, I usually have to tap them a couple times to get the device to respond. When I scroll up and down, through a list of apps, when I lift up my finger, if it was on an icon, the device runs that icon. I have to swipe a couple times, just on the opening unlock screen. Extremely frustrating, because when you tap an icon, you don't know if you're WAITING for it to open because it's slow, or if it didn't register your tap.

    I do not believe this is running at 800Mhz at stated by the vendor. The vendor tells me there is no updated ROM for it.

    If anyone reads this and says, "WHAT???? my WM8650 is awesome!" I welcome your comments as to how you got it working.

    On the plus side, it makes a great digital photo frame, if you prop it up somehow, and a good MP3 player (that won't fit in your pocket).
    the bogomips of wm8650 is only 350M, it is based on 5 years old armv5 technology, most smart phones run on armv6 and ipad is running on armv7. So, wm8650 is a 2 generations behind current technology. avoid buying wm8650.

  6. #5
    Senior Member Achievements:
    500 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points 250 Experience Points Tagger Second Class 100 Experience Points

    Member #
    5864
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tilburg, the Netherlands
    Posts
    245
    Thanked
    22 times
    Device
    Gome FlyTouch / SmartQ7 / HTC X7500 / M006 / CVUK-PC06-2GEN / WMT2.1
    I've tested and ROM modded this device. It runs like a WM8505, is also slow with e.g. Angry Birds. It's like the WM8505 for Android 2.2. I'm almost done modding a ROM for this device, I don't like it much!
    Aglobke thanked this.
    For more info about HowTo mod the FlyTouch / ePad generic roms please visit my website @ http://hch.net.tc/, registration is free !
    SmartQ7 owners, upgrade to Uberoid for SmartQ7, an overclocked, fixed, tweaked, expanded Android 2.2
    Eken M006 (128MB) owners, it's finally made! A rooted/modded/updated version of WMT2.0v0915, grab it fast!

  7. #6
    Junior Member Achievements:
    250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points 3 months registered 31 days registered 7 days registered

    Member #
    24949
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by RomanticEvil View Post
    I've tested and ROM modded this device. It runs like a WM8505, is also slow with e.g. Angry Birds. It's like the WM8505 for Android 2.2. I'm almost done modding a ROM for this device, I don't like it much!
    I am a little bit sad to see the bad comments on this device. I just ordered on last week. Anyways, for 74$ we cant expect perfomance like ipad or galaxy tab.

    In this videos the flash capability looking fine and smooth:

    YouTube - VIA 8650 Play YouTube Flash Video

    YouTube - VIA 8650 Play CNN Flash Video

    I found a solution to play flash videos here: Table 7" wm8650 VIA 926 REVIEW - Android Forum - AndroidPIT I did not tried yet, my tablet have not yet arrived.

    Dear RomanticEvil, could you release your modded ROM if you think its worth to try? Did you rooted the tablet? Did you tried to oveclock the device?
    Last edited by boogyman; 04-05-2011 at 01:16 AM.

  8. #7
    Developer
    Achievements:
    50,000 Experience Points 25,000 Experience Points 10,000 Experience Points 5,000 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points

    Member #
    1423
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,505
    Thanked
    109 times
    Device
    COBY KYROS 7015 | 7015A
    Too bad the old Flytouch 1 couldn't do this.
    PowerCode 1000 DCX
    Coby Kyros 7012, 7015, 7015a, 7016, 7022, 7042, 7125, 7126, 7127, 8125, 8126, 8127, 9742, 1042, 1125, 1126 (Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean)
    Skytex Skypad Alpha, Gemini (Ice Cream Sandwich)
    Visual Land Connect, Prestige Ice Cream Sandwich)

    45x Tablets Owned/Tested/Configured/Tweaked/GUI: Running OS: 1.6, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 3.0, 4.0, 4.1 | Since 2010

  9. #8
    Senior Member Achievements:
    500 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points 250 Experience Points Tagger Second Class 100 Experience Points

    Member #
    5864
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tilburg, the Netherlands
    Posts
    245
    Thanked
    22 times
    Device
    Gome FlyTouch / SmartQ7 / HTC X7500 / M006 / CVUK-PC06-2GEN / WMT2.1
    @Boogeyman Ok, I rooted the ROM, did a nice custom firmware of it. The device is barely better than the WM8505.

    It's up for download!
    markerabrba thanked this.
    For more info about HowTo mod the FlyTouch / ePad generic roms please visit my website @ http://hch.net.tc/, registration is free !
    SmartQ7 owners, upgrade to Uberoid for SmartQ7, an overclocked, fixed, tweaked, expanded Android 2.2
    Eken M006 (128MB) owners, it's finally made! A rooted/modded/updated version of WMT2.0v0915, grab it fast!

  10. #9
    Junior Member Achievements:
    250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points 3 months registered 31 days registered 7 days registered

    Member #
    24949
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by RomanticEvil View Post
    @Boogeyman Ok, I rooted the ROM, did a nice custom firmware of it. The device is barely better than the WM8505.

    It's up for download!
    Thank you very much RomanticEvil. I will check it right after my tablet arrived.

    I dont think the CPU has a huge overclock potential. I saw somewhere its default freq is 600MHz. This mean every single CPU is overclocked already. But maybe worth to try to make an OC kernel to see the max speed.
    Last edited by boogyman; 04-05-2011 at 11:51 AM.

  11. #10
    Senior Member Achievements:
    500 Experience Points 1,000 Experience Points 250 Experience Points Tagger Second Class 100 Experience Points

    Member #
    5864
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tilburg, the Netherlands
    Posts
    245
    Thanked
    22 times
    Device
    Gome FlyTouch / SmartQ7 / HTC X7500 / M006 / CVUK-PC06-2GEN / WMT2.1
    Quote Originally Posted by boogyman View Post
    Thank you very much RomanticEvil. I will check it right after my tablet arrived.

    I dont think the CPU has a huge overclock potential. I saw somewhere its default freq is 600MHz. This mean every single CPU is overclocked already. But maybe worth to try to make an OC kernel to see the max speed.
    It's not a real bad tablet but it's not the best, 74$ is a nice price! Here it's 99EUR, about 110/120$ I believe. The ROM is up on my site, another version will arrive soon!

    Hi Tipstir, what is your opinion of the WM8650 ?
    For more info about HowTo mod the FlyTouch / ePad generic roms please visit my website @ http://hch.net.tc/, registration is free !
    SmartQ7 owners, upgrade to Uberoid for SmartQ7, an overclocked, fixed, tweaked, expanded Android 2.2
    Eken M006 (128MB) owners, it's finally made! A rooted/modded/updated version of WMT2.0v0915, grab it fast!


 
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ads:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. New WonderMedia WM8650 Android Tablet PC
    By ceavis in forum WonderMedia WM8650 Tablets
    Replies: 180
    Last Post: 04-05-2012, 12:42 PM
  2. VIA WM8650 Hardware Revealed in Shenzhen, 600RMB
    By xaueious in forum WonderMedia WM8650 Tablets
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-15-2011, 09:46 AM
  3. VIA WM8650 Hardware Information
    By xaueious in forum WonderMedia Based
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-18-2011, 05:55 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-18-2011, 05:50 PM

Search tags for this page

via 8650 review

,
via wm8650
,

via wm8650 review

,
via wm8950 review
,

wm8650

,

wm8650 review

,
wonder media 8650 review
,
wonder media wm8650
,
wonder media wm8650 review
,
wondermedia picture capture version 1.0
,
wondermedia review
,

wondermedia wm8650 review

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.11
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Android Tablets.net is not affiliated or associated with Google, Android Project or any of the device manufacturers listed on this site.
We are simply an enthusiast site.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 AM.