1.2 straight to CM7, no root. Having issues

xfeejayx

Feb 28, 2011
So talked to J5 in this thread
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ooted-manualnooter-4-4-27-a-5.html#post106184

Conclusion was that you don't need to root 1.2 before going to CM7, so I did so.

First noticeable issue to me was that there was no home/back/menu bar present when it booted. I remember the bar being there first time i turned mine on with CM7.

Second issue was something like android.process.media keeps crashing. I don't even know what's opening it, but every so often, 30 seconds, a minute, 2 minutes, a notification pops up say ind it failed and was forced closed.

Issue 3. To turn home/back/menu bar on, I tried to go into CM settings. It won't do it. I forget which process crashes (might have been something like process.android.settings) but it won't open.

Not once has a notice popped up to give anything superuser permission. I've tried 3 different versions of CM7 now, from 7.03 to a more recent stable, to an old nightly (30 I think). Same issues with all. Any thoughts?

Use 3.0.2.8 to flash.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
That is an odd error that makes me think the first CM7 you tried to install wasn't a clean download or didn't install correctly and subsequent installs have carried the issue over.

Did you follow the proper procedures for installing the ROM? Did you get any errors or freezes when clearing/formatting before flashing the CM7 ROM?

xfeejayx

Feb 28, 2011
The first install was a new download. Can't tell if it was good or not, I would expect it was fine.

Yes, I did get an error. I think when formatting data there was an error. I remember getting an error when i flashed mine, but didn't remember what it was for, so thought it was normal.

Yes, followed the directions correctly.

So next steps?
Sounds like may have to flash back to stock and try again?
I don't think the file download is a problem, as 2 out of 3 were fresh downloads, and the third one (nightly 30) has been running on mine for month+ with no issues.
How do I address the format error issue?

Thanks for the continued help.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
The first install was a new download. Can't tell if it was good or not, I would expect it was fine.

Yes, I did get an error. I think when formatting data there was an error. I remember getting an error when i flashed mine, but didn't remember what it was for, so thought it was normal.

Yes, followed the directions correctly.

So next steps?
Sounds like may have to flash back to stock and try again?
I don't think the file download is a problem, as 2 out of 3 were fresh downloads, and the third one (nightly 30) has been running on mine for month+ with no issues.
How do I address the format error issue?

Thanks for the continued help.

Always check md5 codes after download they add it there for a reason to make sure u really got a clean download

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

1coyote

Jul 3, 2011
I also ran into a problem :( with rooting directly from NC 1.2 to CM7.0.3, the last stable version.

Summary procedure:
a) flashed CWR (ClockWork Recovery) to 2gb mSD card
b) added CM7.0.3 zip, latest GooApps zip to the SD card
c) using CWR, wiped out the stock and installed CM + GooApps. Everything went swimmingly - no errors!
d) removed SD card and rebooted.

That's been about 2 hours ago, and I'm still looking at that damned android being circled by the arrow; i.e. CM7 is caught in the boot loop. Is there something perversely unique to Nook 1.2? Would this require some "pre-rooting" to 'clean' the 1.2? Don't see why if the wiping is complete.

Update 1: I interrupted the loop, held down the power button and 'n' button, and this brings up the CWR menu. Now I can re-enter the process w/ standard CWR options such as "wipe Dalvik cache", "key test", "fix permissions", etc. BUT, what DO I do??.....

Update 2: Success! The first and unsuccessful CM7 that I installed was the most recent stable version. Next I tried the most recent nightly build #21. That booted up ok, but with other issues. Next, I installed an earlier nightly build #15, and this has worked perfectly!!! Problem solved. :cool:

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Glad you got it working. One thing you didn't mention was the version of bootable CWR that you used. You should always make sure you have the most recent available. In this case it sounds like you must have had a recent version since it did eventually work.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
xfeejayx did you ever check the md5 as was suggested to make sure you have a good download?

xfeejayx

Feb 28, 2011
xfeejayx did you ever check the md5 as was suggested to make sure you have a good download?

Didn't check the md5, but seems coyote and I had similar issues. Think I need to install a known good version of CM instead of the newest stable. I think I have the OLD nightly 30, which works like a champ. Maybe get him back to stock and then go straight to that.