10" gTab at Amazon/Woot @ $280

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
For those not-yet-owners thinking about jumping in, you've probably realized this is a site (pretty much) for gTab lovers. You've said to yourself, "Maybe the owners on this forum are a little biased in their thinking." Following that logic, I decided to browse the recent Amazon reviews--there are several new ones today!--and I have two simple rules of thumb.

RULE #1: If the 10" gTab review is 3 stars or less, IGNORE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was written by someone who has no business writing reviews, and will note irrelevant things like:

- "the viewing angle sucks"
- "the software out of the box sucks"
- "support sucks"
- "video?...meh..."
- "it only works if you root it and OH WHAT A PAIN" and so on

Rule #2: 4 or more stars, it's TOTALLY TRUE!!!!!! These owners say things like:

- "viewing angles are tolerable/OK"
- "simple to root/ROM"
- "incredibly crisp and responsive"
- "a joy to use as an eReader!"

OK, maybe I'm being a bit judgmental, sarcastic, and melodramatic (that's my job!). Probably a better way to advise is to say "Take the Amazon reviews with a grain a salt. A BIG grain of salt!" But really, most of them just piss me off.

End of rant. ;)

-Matt

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Wow Matt....usually it is me that comes across as so biased....now i look at your post above and am so proud.... ;-)

Seriously though folks, take a look at Matt's Point total, this is someone that has been a cornerstone of the Nook group, so he knows from a well made piece of hardware....his opinion does carry some weight!

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Thanks Peter, I've learned from the best! :) But those points...?...I'm claiming divine (or alien) intervention!

On an unrelated note: I just got two 2200's in a row on Quadrant! I feel like I hit the jackpot on a slot machine!

-Matt

Last edited:

10 till 4

Apr 12, 2011
so you guys are saying this is a good tablet? as far as brand and build quality go and everything? will it be pretty complicated for a first time android user?

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I'd say it's a great tablet. But you have to do a little soul-searching...what if you buy it today for $280, it arrives next week, you root it, love it...and then the Asus 10" is released a week later for $400?

Will you regret not waiting and feel like you could easily have dropped the additional $120 (actually, that plus $150 for the external keyboard)? Or are you the kind of person who will enjoy the savings, enjoy learning how to modify your new tablet, and enjoy using it for at least 6 months (or 12...or more!)? If you're the latter type, the gTab will keep you happy and busy for the rest of the year no problem. If you're the first type, I'd say hold off.

-Matt

10 till 4

Apr 12, 2011
i was thinking either this gtablet today or save up a little money and get the samsung galaxy with just the wifi. im pretty tech savy and i dont really care if the next best thing comes out next month because thats how all electronics are.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Got a rooted Android phone? Either way, the gTab is ridiculously easy to Mod. :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the new Samsung ($350) is 7"...and single-core?. But it also looks like it has a few nice extras (GPS?).

-Matt

10 till 4

Apr 12, 2011
yeah its single core but its a 1ghz processor and its 7" and i would take either size its comes with 2.2

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I love how thin the Nook Color is with its 7", but it's 10" for me all the way. Actually, I wonder how well 8" or 9" would work... ;)

-Matt