1042-8 memory

cb1

Sep 7, 2012
I am playing with this new toy now for couple of days and found already many useful hints here.

What I didn't figure out yet is the logic of memory usage. According to Coby it has 1GB of RAM and 8GB of add'l memory. In various tools it displays nearly 2GB internal memory and 4.33GB sdcard which seems to be a kind of partitioning. Where are the remaining ~1.6GB?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
RAM has nothing to do with storage and only serves to confuse things.

Anyway, Coby is like a hard drive manufacturer. Instead of using 1024MB=1GB, they use 1000MB=1GB. However the OS reports sizes using 1024MB=1GB. Therefore, there is only 7.8125GB space on a Coby. That space is split up into 1.97GB used for the system and apps, and 4.58GB of storage. Combined, that equals 6.55GB. The remaining space (1.19GB)? I don't know for certain what it's used for but at a guess I would say it's used for the kernel, recovery, and an uncompressed copy of the ROM (used for when you hit "factory restore" in recovery).

8GB is the total amount of storage available, but not the total amount of usable storage available.