1st nvflash - confirming how-to - quick one

xlancealotx

Jun 12, 2011
ok, reading the hand holding how-to ([RECOVERY] nvflash FULL restore, using either 1.1 or 1.2 based images - [G-TABLET] - SlateDroid.com) I have just one question. I am doing this on a linux machine, I have the files requested, and unzipped. The at the checkpoint, they say "At this point, you should have the nvflash files, .img files, and USB directory (and files) in your "NVFlash" directory and are ready to begin the recovery process."

Now, I have 3 zip files, the gtab.nvflash1.2, nvflash_linux and nv_flash_gtablet. When all of them get unzipped, I am left with the 2 executables and 2 folders, the 2 folders being nvflash1.2 and nvflash_gtablet. Both of those folders are nearly identical aside from a README, etc. yet the doc seems to imply those files should be in the NVFlash root, but since the files are the same they would overwrite.

Are one of the above zip files not needed, or should they be kept in their respecitve folders?

Sorry, obviously dont want to brick this which is why I want to be clear.

Thanks

** Update **
Sorry if I jumped the gun, read a bit more under the comments in that page, and it seems you don't need to use the nvflash_gtablet files from the dropbox but rather the one downloaded later in that thread. I will move forward, but will do so with baby steps. The only thing I am wondering now, is that whole thing takes me to a new stock ROM. I am looking to test bottle of smoke, so do I NOT use the stock ROM but rather use that other ROM and put those .img files where the stock rom's ones are in the root NVFlash folder? I thought it was getting clearer, I was mistaken!

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Sorry, my bad for not spotting your question sooner!

But aha, I have a quick answer: go ahead and nvflash with the 1.2 image. That will knock you on up to the stock 4349 ROM. THEN, grab the BoS "recovery" and "update.zip" files (OK, recovery is actually a folder) and drop those in your root directory on the gTab (which version are you using?). Boot into recovery, and those will flash automatically. When you reboot, you should have your new and shiny BoS, ready to go.

My only warning...OK, I actually have two...first DON'T fret if you get the 3-bird boot loop (seemingly stuck there forever). Just turn off (hard reboot), head back into recovery, and perform the factory reset/data wipe option. Second, I would do the factory reset before and after flashing BoS, regardless. Lots of people have half-managed to load the ROM, then experienced minor weirdness (e.g., Market not working correctly) that the data wipe ended up fixing. So some of us do it ritualistically. It may not be needed, and when things are perfectly set up just so (I mean you have your apps the way you like), it's a pain to have to reinstall everything. But it's good practice either way.

OK, so let us know how the next step goes! Good luck. :)

-Matt

xlancealotx

Jun 12, 2011
BAM .... worked as you said. Did have to do the factory wipe, but my buddy has the same one and I felt like a pro the 2nd time!

So the OS is so smooth, desktop, market, all so much better on this one! Ironically just got a thank you from Dell for another large order, so there sending me a 7' wifi only streak, so now I have another toy!

Thanks again for the detailed reply, so any new questions will be much more intelligent :D

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Great. :) I forgot to ask which version of BoS you're using. The latest is 5.2, but I'm still happy with 4.0. I'm holding off on moving up, since I don't feel like reinstalling all my apps (will probably get the paid version of Titanium). But it sounds like most on 5.2 are having a good experience.

Oh, the moment you mentioned Linux your post was pretty intelligent. ;)

-Matt

xlancealotx

Jun 12, 2011
:) ya, I did 5.2, and already had the paid v of Titanium from my EVO so that part works out nicely, app restores are sweet.

And to be perfectly honest, I did my windows day's years ago, and linux since. Last year I switched to test the MAC OS and actually pretty impressed so this flash was done via Ubuntu 10 VM under the macbook pro! Tested U11 and was so disapointed with the new desktop (whatever they called it), the laucnher, etc. all was just horrible IMO.

So thanks again, looking forward to next week getting the streak and just got my confirm email from google music so going to test that today as well!

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I'm sure you're already tuned into slatedroid, but make sure to visit:

[ROM - 1.2] Bottle of Smoke - Honeycomb for GTAB [G-TABLET\ZPAD T2] - SlateDroid.com

and let the gang know how 5.2 is working out for you. Since that's where roebeet's distributing his ROMs, it's a good place for bug reports. I've learned a lot of tips and tricks from listening in. The latest conversation has turned to the importance or repartitioning in CWM between version upgrades! Oh, the joys of being a nerd.

I'm not going to talk about the Streak because it's a nice device and I'm jealous that you got it for free. So don't come back here next week and say how happy you are with it! :mad: On the other hand, if it's giving you problems, then by all means share. ;)

-Matt

c1tobor

Apr 28, 2011
i'm sure you're already tuned into slatedroid, but make sure to visit:

[rom - 1.2] bottle of smoke - honeycomb for gtab [g-tablet\zpad t2] - slatedroid.com

and let the gang know how 5.2 is working out for you. Since that's where roebeet's distributing his roms, it's a good place for bug reports. I've learned a lot of tips and tricks from listening in. The latest conversation has turned to the importance or repartitioning in cwm between version upgrades! Oh, the joys of being a nerd.

i'm not going to talk about the streak because it's a nice device and i'm jealous that you got it for free. So don't come back here next week and say how happy you are with it! :mad: On the other hand, if it's giving you problems, then by all means share. ;)

-matt
lmao......