1st post - how to full backup after vegan installed

xlancealotx

Jun 12, 2011
ok having my Spring evo rooted and playing with clockwork, custom ROM's, etc. I figured it would be very similar using ROM manager, but it seems otherwise.

So I didn't see a thread on backing up the entire tablet. I do have Titanium purchased (from the EVO so that worked nicely) but the phone is a ROM manager, backup, then can off device it using USB, dropbox, etc and I wish to have the same scenario with the tablet. I am running Vegan-Tab Gingerbread edition and very happy with it, but want to look at TnT, have the security of the backup, so would like to know if there is a seperate app used, something from the recorvery menu's, etc.

As I said, I didn't see a thread on this (sorry if I missed it), but it's my 1st post, so be nice ;)

Thanks ....

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Err... is this talking about a G-Tablet? If so, use CWM to do a full backup of your system.

xlancealotx

Jun 12, 2011
Err, Thanks for the simple answer. Sorry it took 141 people to view this before someone simply said, hey you can still use clockwork! I was also curious as to a bit more how mvflash works, is written and the partitioning so I Will look for a full thread on that, as I am pretty confident CW does do a full backup (I will compare it to a DD) of all partition, but have a read a few HUGE warnings about installing 'other' ROM's without moving up to NVFLASH 1.2 which is not a 1 click thing.

So I will assume CW has backed up the boot partition, etc. and if I run into any type of problem I can restore from there. The past on the phone as I mentioned, I could have multiple backups using ROM manager/CW so I will also look/confirm that as well.

So thanks for the reply.

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Just don't use ROM Manager on your GTab. You will soft brick it unless your using the ONE ROM that Peter has posted about that works with ROM Manager.

xlancealotx

Jun 12, 2011
Just don't use ROM Manager on your GTab. You will soft brick it unless your using the ONE ROM that Peter has posted about that works with ROM Manager.

Thanks for the heads up. Was on vacation, did some reading on moving to the newer nvflash, etc. Just because you know what your doing on the phone doesn't mean anything with the tablet it seems!

Thanks again ...

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
We are getting a little bit more on track with the g-tablet again now that the guys over at xda are onboard with supporting the 1.2 ROM branch. Roebeet had built nv flash images for both 3588 and 4349 based builds that include clockwork so right now that is the only way I am doing anything. I only use CWM for backups and builds.

Sent from my Bottle of Smoke using Android Tablet Forum

xlancealotx

Jun 12, 2011
ok well I am stuck a bit. Started a new thread, but since this is 'active' I will remove the other, but realized the docs had a dropbox with an older gtablet_flash and the nvflash. So basically I took the nvflash1.2, and downloaded the 1.2-4349 based image as the doc ([RECOVERY] nvflash FULL restore, using either 1.1 or 1.2 based images - [G-TABLET] - SlateDroid.com) said. Well using linux the nvflash seemed to work fine, after all 10 parts and the system.img was sent, I got a DONE, and the device rebooted.

I am now stuck in a boot animation loop with the n and animations above. I tried to reset again, recovery (power +) and from the recovery when I tried to wipe / factory reset it just gave me a nice white wrench and screwdriver. Nothing else on screen. So after a power cycle again, I am in that boot animation loop again going from the n to the whole with Tap n Tap and back. After about 5 minutes of that, the device just shut off.

So do I use the same doc and try the 1.1? I had vegan running and was OK, but wanted to test some 1.2 ROMs, and thought I could go that route, but maybe since I was on Vegan (a 1.1) I need to reflash to stock 1.1, then try to goto stock 1.2?

All help is always appreciated.