2.2 to 2.3 upgrade

antmar904

Mar 7, 2011
Hi all,

I wanted to know when and how easy it will be to upgrade the Samsung galaxy tab from 2.2 to 2.3 and when that upgrade will be available?

antmar904

Mar 7, 2011
hello all,

I see that there where a lot of views on this topic but no one replied back????

Is my question not a valid one?

I just wanted to know if it even will be possible to upgrade my galaxy tab to the new os (honeycomb) when it comes out?

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
That's up to samsung and I'd what they do with there phones are an example it will be awhile until an official upgrade comes out. But there might be custom roms shortly in the future

Sent from my incredible using Android Tablet Forum

a32289

May 11, 2011
Hi! Samsung just annunced that they are going to release it in fases. Right now UK and the north part of europe and then the rest. I don't know where r you from, but i'm from portugal and i expect it in the next 3 weeks. They that will be very easy, just connect your gtab whith kies and just do what kies ask you to. Easy :-D hope this helps you.

Richard
Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Android Tablet Forum

esampah

May 9, 2011
Sadly Kies is not for US customers :( So expect this upgrade to be a looong wait (update Kies to support US first -> then the 2.3 update)

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
Sadly Kies is not for US customers :( So expect this upgrade to be a looong wait (update Kies to support US first -> then the 2.3 update)

Yeah, that's my assessment as well. I'm not holding my breath. I'm also not drooling for it either. 2.2 does most of what I need and I installed the G-bread keyboard from the market. I know it will be a better experience, but its not like key functionality is missing like with 2.1 (e.g. no apps2sd, flash).

Sent from my SGH-T849 using Android Tablet Forum

wakilah

May 28, 2011

Actually Kies is available in the us I have the samsung vibrant and the galaxy tab and I have used kies on my vibrant to upgrade it already. And samsung is going to have an upgrade for the galaxy tab and it will be a manual update as it was for the vibrant.

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
Where did you get it or did you just download a generic English version? When you go to the Samsung apps site, US is not a valid country choice (though Canada is), go figure. Point is, until Samsung supports US directly, may not be able to use Kies to update a US/FCC approved device, though it looks like that wasn't a problem for your Vibrant.

Last edited:

blaz

May 11, 2011
Canadian SGT here.
And yes, Kies is an option when connecting the USB cable to my PC. But I've never downloaded or used the Kies Windoze software as I don't have Windoze.

But if you have 3G (and/or WiFi) access from the Tab, why go to the trouble of downloading apps and upgrades via your PC? My tab has a Samsung Apps app that works fine. Couldn't that be used?

I must be missing something here.
Are upgrades are ONLY available via the PC download then Kies transfer route?

heppi

Jun 25, 2011
Yes. I have & worked OK (apart from having to contact my carrier (3uk) to put the mobile network info back in.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Android Tablet Forum

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
Sprint rolled out the Gingerbread 2.3.4 update this week. Got it OTA even though I don't have a Sprint data plan for the tab (been using it as WiFi only). Stock browser is much improved and now have Bluetooth HID support for portable keyboards. Nice.

Sent from my TAB using Android Tablet Forum

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
You're in the wrong section of the forum (this is for Samsung Galaxy tab which never had Android 1.6) - find out the make/model of your tab and go to that section of the Forum to ask your question or go to the general Android Tablet Q&A section. Good luck.